• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2002 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 308 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Would recommed ONLY for dependability

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Very dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "Sererely lacks Power"

"Bought my 2001 S80 at an auction with 118000 miles on it for $5,500. I had driven Cadillac's ( STS, Eldo ETC ) for over 10 years. I was disappointed with the performance of the S80!! No power at all. It now has 228,000 miles on it. I had to have the tranni rebuilt at 157,000 miles. I had to do the suspension over at this time also. I did it myself so it was inexpensive to do. Other than that all I had to do was replace a couple of coil packs. I can't complain about the tranni popping at 157,000. So, over all the car was dependable. On road trips the car got 27 MPG. around town it got 18 MPG. If it were not for the lack or power I would have been completely satisfied...."

Would recommed ONLY for dependability

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Very dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "Sererely lacks Power"

worst car I ever owned in 44 years

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "fun and confortable to drive. good looking car"

Cons: "bad transmissions/expensive repairs"

"This car eats transmissions! Transmission went out at 80K. Took the car to a certified Volvo repair shop 4 times trying to rebuild the transmission, only to have it break down again within 2 to 4 days. One time it blew gaskets and leaked transmission fluid all over my garage floor and had to be towed from my garage back to repair shop. Finally, on the 5th time trying to fix the problem the repair facility put in a used transmission from a wreaked 30K mile S80, since a brand new one is way to costly for most of us. That transmission lasted 30K miles and broke down just before I was going to have the transmission serviced. It now sets in my garage with a bad transmission deciding what to do with it. Don't waste your hard earned money on a Volvo. Expensive repairs and very unreliable."

Best I've owned

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "Very pleasant luxury ride with great reliability."

Cons: "Don't have any."

"This car has been reliable and continues to supply excellent service. At this mileage it rides as well as when I bought it with 46,000 miles. The only repairs besides normal maintenance have been the emergency brake. Exhaust system is still original. Have replaced the rear struts, but after 200+K expected much worse."

Great car, if you can afford to maintain it

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Solid car, no rattles, very comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain and repair, bad gas mileage"

My S80

"I purchased a used 2004 Volvo S80 2.9L with 90k miles two years ago. It currently has 107k on it. Previous owners took care of it and I think that has helped. My experience has been mostly positive but, I have sunk serious money into mine like others have. Steering box developed issues last year and cost $2500 to replace at the dealer. Had pieces of the exhaust replaced due to rust, which is normal for any car of it's age. The only time it left me stranded was when the ignition cylinder failed a few months ago, preventing me from turning the key. Had to be towed to the dealer and cost me $400 to fix. Dealer is expensive but, they have been nice and always perform good repair work. It's an extremely comfortable car and I suppose it does get decent gas mileage for it's size, although it's still could be improved (19 city/29-30 highway). Knock on wood, it hasn't leaked anything or burned oil yet, nor have I had any problems with the interior. The S80's safety record is still excellent, even by today's standards, which is a big plus. This car feels like a tank. Even though it has required some expensive repairs, it does NOT feel like it will die anytime soon... Still runs very strong and tight."

My S80