2002 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

A joy to drive, expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride, fun to drive, great gas mileage, even in the city"

Cons: "leather seats wear out and moon roof tends to rattle"

"We picked this vehicle up at the factory in Sweden and have had it for 11 years. It is smooth drive, very responsive and takes to the highway like a dream. It is however, expensive to maintain as parts and mechanics are not the easiest to find. The leather seats quickly wore out and we ended up with cloth covers to hide the wear and tear, and the moon roof rattles in high winds. This is probably because it is an older vehicle, but has put me off any kind of hole in the roof for future vehicles. The main reason we continue to hold onto this car is the mileage....this older, large car (it is considered a luxury vehicle in the insurance world)still manages to achieve over 26 miles to the gallon! Something that in any economy is worth the ownership. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a luxury vehicle that still gets great gas mileage."

Very Dependable

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I bought my 1999 s80 for $3,500 with 132,000 on it a few years ago. I now have over 200,000 on it and have put very little money into it. The suspension finally needs to be replaced but I cant complain. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone I know."

A service nightmare with no end...

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Got this car from a deceased relative in 2006. Thought I had it made. 2 months later the transmission was gone and it cost me 3700. Less then a year after that had to have it replaced again. 4 years later and over $11,000 in repair bills, I have had enough."

2004 S80 AWD - BUY USED

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"I purchased the car used 3 years ago with 48,000 miles from a local individual with all maintenance records. I paid 1/3 the original sticker price with every option Volvo offered. You get a lot of car for not a lot of money. I now have 85,000 miles registered, and I've driven the car from Mexico to Oregon in 100 degree weather to 3 feet of snow. The car is extremely comfortable, reliable, great gas mileage - for a large four door sedan (I drove the car from Orange County, CA to Phoenix, AZ on a tank of gas), and handles superbly in winter conditions (AWD). I've replaced brakes, rotors, and tires, which is standard for any car (you can purchase all the OEM parts for half the price on ebay and have the Volvo dealership install them). I'm disappointed in the faux wood trim and cup holder, but that is my only complaint. My friends made jokes about me driving a Volvo, but after they drove the car from Southern California to Lake Tahoe for a ski trip, they all fell in love with it. Seats 4 comfortably with all your luggage. Dealer mechanic told me the AWD 2.5T was the best and most reliable engine in the S80 series."

Don't be deceived

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"This car may look appealing, but is heavy maintenance and questionable reliability. I'm having to ditch mine due to the ongoing issues. It has been a highly dissatisfactory experience to own a volvo, 2000 S80. I would not recommend this vehicle or a volvo to anyone. My wife was right, it's a piece of junk."