• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2002 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Nobody Ever Said Volvo Is Cheap To Maintain

By on Saturday, October 03, 2009

"We have owned this vehicle since March 2006 and have only had to perform regular maintenance. I own 2 Volvo's; this '06-S80 & an '02-V70. My wife & I feel Volvo has good safety, quality and reliability. Volvo is not inexpensive to maintain, so don't be misled. Labor costs are more than that of domestic makes. So, do your homework before buying and you'll know what you're getting into. I am not trying to down-play -OR- encourage buying a Volvo. Some people have unpleasant car experiences... and I know I have too but, our experience with Volvo has been very good. Properly maintained, these vehicles will last at least 12 years. The safety provided by Volvo far outways the cost. This S80 has performed very well. Good handling, performance, responsiveness, styling and, comfort. This vehicle seats 4 adults very comfortably with all your luggage and the styling is quite desirable. The rear seat folds down if extra cargo room is needed even though the trunk space is very generous in size. Once the driver's seat has been adjusted properly and you're strapped-in, one feels snug and in control. A couple of inconsequential rattles - 1 in the back support of front passenger seat and 1 in the dash are the only reason I rate quality lower. My wife is 5'-4" and says that she finds it difficult to find comfort while driving due to the contour of the headrest (which has no adjustment). She feels that people under 5'-6" will not find this vehicle as desirable. The sticker says 21/30 mpg and has been pretty accurate, although I typically get 22/29. I have gotten as high as 33 on the highway. Oh, just to reiterate... maintaining your vehicle will optimize performance !... so you're better off not buying this make vehicle if you can't afford to maintain it."

Most days the BEST car ever...Most days.

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "Safe, Reliable, Comfortable, Beautiful, Fast"

Cons: "Electronic Throttle Body Module, Transmission"

2000 Volvo S80t6

"Most days this is the best Volvo I have ever had. The 2000 S80 was only the second year of the new design and there have been two serious inherent problems that research showed me to be quite common in this model. I have had both of these problems fixed at a rather large expense, but repaired she is once again my favorite Volvo... At about 5 years and 60,000 miles there was a serious problem with a lack of power, stuttering power and stalling. This was the first problem as was handled not too well by Volvo through a recall. Getting to the point where Volvo replaced the Throttle Body Module Computer took almost 2 years and close to $3,000 out of pocket. When it was finally proven to to be the fault of the computer Volvo reimbursed the $1,800 cost of the part. The first 3K i spent was unrecoverable. About two years later and at 95,000 total miles the transmission failed. It began slipping in all forward gears and reverse felt like a 4WD with the transfer case binding. My research had shown this model transmission generally would fail at around 80,000, so I was happy mine lasted to 95,000 miles. I gave serious consideration to even going through with this repair...the car was 9 years old. The mechanic who was very honest with me let me know despite putting in a brand new transmission, that the transmission was still of bad design and it too should fail in another 100K miles or so. Not wanting to purchase a new car, I went ahead and had the new transmission installed at a cost of $5,000. After this repair the car was new again. I am more than happy I made the decision to fix it. So the two known problems now fixed, this is once again the S80 of my dreams. Today at 105,000 miles she is reliable, safe, strong, amazingly quick and agile. I have owned a 1982 240 GLE Diesel, a 1989 740 GLE, a 1993 850 GLE and now this 2000 S80t6. She is as beautiful as the day i brought her home. If you can find one and verify the Electronic Throttle Body Module computer has been replaced then I would highly recommend this car. She is a dream on the road, in the city and on the open highway with more, way more than enough power to get you up and out of the way of any highway situation. Hardly any discernible turbo-lag when accelerating, just stomp on the gas and the twin-turbo chargers kick in almost instantly and propel you forward with most its power to spare. Exhilarating. After driving 30 years of driving Volvos, the twin-charged S80t6 is everything a Volvo should be...Safe, Reliable, Safe, Beautiful, Strong, Comfortable, Safe...and above all, Safe. Aside from the two problems I listed the only other problem I have had is the lock on the rear driver's-side door. It stopped working automatically but still works manually. This and regular maintenance, new tires and the occasional light bulb burning out are the only things to have been done to this car. She still drives, handles and feels as strong and tight as the day I first brought her home. A Fine car. A true Volvo. All in all I've had a good, positive experience and look forward to many more years with this car. Knowing what I know today, I might have waited a year when those two design flaws would be fixed, but still, I would buy this car again."

2000 Volvo S80t6

Very reliable car with lots interior room.

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

"For an owner who is 6'3" there is plenty of interior space and comfort. For a bigger car I get great mileage on regular gas! Turbo provides lots power and car hardly feels like it is shifting gears. With a 155k miles the car feels like it can go on forever and although it is 8 years old everything still works the way it is supposed to!"

No major problems, but an expensive car to own

By on Monday, February 23, 2009

"I bought my 2000 T6s80 from a Volvo dealer with 20k miles on it, just as it came off lease in 2002. It was an auto executive's company car and it was (and still is) just like new. I paid half of its new car sticker price (in cash). We have enjoyed the car very much, especially the comfort and feeling of security on long trips. I also have three tall sons (6'+) and this is the only luxury sedan (we test drove them all) where they can all fit into the back seat with ease. I still get complements on how sharp it looks and the on-ramp acceleration is still unbelievable. It has over 85k now on it and I just got 34mpg hwy (at 70mph) during a 1500 mile road trip. I think those reviewers who complained about a harsh ride need to get a different style tire; I went to a taller less 'performance rated' Michelin (still $200 each) and I got a great improvement in ride without any loss of 'performance' handling. But its too heavy to be driven like a 'sports car' anyway, although the turbo boost, the quick handling, and the excellent brakes can make it feel like one. I think some of the reliability problems that other owners have had is that they have driven their s80 too hard, and by this I don't mean too fast. This car is designed to go 160 mph on the Autobahn (as a friend of mine did in his German brother-in-law's stock s80; he said it rode like they were only going 70mph). All this said, this is not a car for someone who is on a budget. The repair costs are frequent and high. I have been fortunate to find a non-dealer Volvo specialist who takes good care of it without robbing me blind. I also made sure I got the 100k/10 year extended warrantee when I bought it. Now that I have over 85K on it I am ready to trade it in (reluctantly) while it is still well covered. My wife and I have enjoyed the car very much, but I believe it qualifies in all ways as a luxury car. If you can afford the upkeep you will love it, but otherwise don't buy one."

Lemon

By on Friday, December 26, 2008

"We bought this car with 85K miles 9 months ago. We were in love after 6 months, but in the last 3 its fallen apart - needed a new throttle, new brakes, new transmission, new radiator...and its in the shop right now waiting for another $1500 in repairs. This doesn't include the 90K mile check up for a grand, and the 105K mile timing belt check for $400. Everything that can go wrong is very expensive to fix, we've spent more than the car is worth in the last 3 months just to keep it running and are desperately trying to get rid of this lemon."