2001 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

First & LAST Volvo(LEMON) that....

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

".....I will ever own. What a LEMON this Volvo became once it hit about 30k miles. I have spent $9k keeping this piece of junk running the last 4 years. I just kept thinking the last problem would be it. But no...the problems just coming. It would take $1,000+ EVERY time I showed up for service. It was a good comfortable performer but what a waste of money and time keeping it going. DO NOT buy a Volvo...Ever. New or used."

Love,Love,Love this car!!

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 S80 2.9 brand new in Aug., '01. Many minor issues and a couple "medium" issues yet, nothing major. I am 38 and have owned 14 autos in my life. This one was the 13th. I can't get used to any other car now. It's been my absolute favorite. I've even tried to dislike it and I just can't! Purchased a brand new Lexus(S80s repair and upkeep are why I bought the Lexus) and I still can't wait to drive my S80 after! Have to admit that the repair and maintenance bills are HIGH and it is VERY hard to find anyone besides the dealership to do proper work on it. I've even slept in the car(in safe places, of course) as opposed to staying in a hotel because it so comfortable, safe and sound. Please do your homework before buying any Volvo though. They aren't for everyone. The upkeep on these vehicles is extremely expensive. I've respectfully listened to and have read ALL current reviews on this car, from '99 'til now (ending '08) and have to say, I have ZERO tolerance for BIG car repair/issue bills, so, I hope that my "baby" doesn't disappoint me in the future. Buy a Volvo, if you can afford it. Specifically the S80, if it suits all your needs. I only have 46,000 miles on it! Reviews are scaring me a little!!"

I love driving this car!

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"I bought this car a year and three months ago with 123,000 miles on it from a small local dealer. I agonized briefly because I had read bad reviews about the 1999 model year. This is not the turbo model. When I bought it, it was not perfect. There were many imperfections, dings, nicks, etc. but it drives like a dream and I no longer enjoy driving any of our other cars. We now have 159,000 on the vehicle, and we have had a few quirky problems - key sticks in lock on occasion and we have to wait to get it out, a side light fell out and we had to glue it back on, the side part of the headlight fell out recently and we had to duct tape it in place until we have the time/money to get it replaced (the duct tape works well for now). Most likely the rubber around the side headlight is worn. As you can see, we can put up with less than perfect cosmetic features. The car is quiet and driving this car is the most restful experience that I have ever had with a vehicle. The one major problem that we did have, but that most likely comes with age, is that we had to replace some front and rear bearings/struts. The cost was around $1,500. Other than that, no major repair and regular oil changes at Prompto. The electric windows tend to squeak on occasion when you roll them down. The steering seems to grind when you make hard turns while getting in and out of a driveway or parking lot, but the Volvo service rep told me not to worry - that this has to do with the age of the vehicle - that the "stops" are worn - but not a concern at all. What's also nice is that if you forget to close the sunroof, the interior does not get wet. So, some of you may say - hmmmm.... lots of imperfections. This car has impressive safety features - 6 airbags, decent fuel economy (26 to 28 mpg average for combination city and highway with regular fuel), plenty of room for five people, large trunk, quiet interior, good acceleration, elegant styling and details, solid front end and sides panels. It is a perfect car for enjoying the road! The quality and serenity of the driving experience is the reason why I love this car."

2001 S80

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"I was so excited to buy my 2001 S80, it was used with only 29,000 miles. I have been horribly disappointed. I will never buy another Volvo. It has been in the shop with major mechanical problems more times than I can remember. Also, now small "extras" are falling apart in the interior and are not covered under the warranty - cubby hole sliding cover, cigarette lighter, cover for moonroof, weather stripping on doors, etc. So much for a luxury car."

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

"This is now my 10th car-have owned everthing under the sun over the years. I bought my S80 used with 60,000 miles and it has never given me trouble. It now has 135,000 on it. I am an architect and do a ton of driving-The Volvo-is the car most found in the parking lot of the our firm-Smart Architects buy this car. The S 80 is so comfortable on long drives. The sound system is superior. The build is true volvo-There is a web site called my volvo saved my life-The construction is superior and well built. At 135K I am torn-trade it in? Next car-you guessed it-S 80..."