2000 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 321 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Not like the ole school volvos

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

"I had to rebuild the Transmission at 112K and the Engine at 190000 which was overdue. I had an experience with a Volvo Dealer just like the other guys' review. Lights on after the Tranny Rebuilt so the Transmission guy said the tires are low in air and he filled them and allll the lights went off. I had already paid Volvo Dealer for diagnostic and they said it needed several sensors when in reality all it needed was proper air level. The Volvo dealer said they will come back on sooner or later but it's been 3yrs since the Tranny work and they never did come back on... what a shameful diagnostic by Volvo!"

2003 S80T6 repair costs!

By on Friday, October 15, 2010

"I bought this car after a three year lease, looked great, did some digging and found out it was owned by a 50+ year old male. So I bought it with around 45,000 miles on it and loved it at first site. Luckily, I opted for a mid grade warranty. I soon found out, its a nice car with tons of nice bells and whisltes. Those bells cost alot to fix. I had my car in the dealer over 6 times for a window actuator which kept freezing my passanger window from moving. It was fixed with no problem and luckily hasnt since. Word of advice, if you didnt know already, the most expensive place to go is to a dealer for anything! But nice they were, a brake pad swap costed me over $500, did it with a buddy cost me $100. The moral is find a good mechanic and have him do it all. Around the 90k mile mark coasting on the highway, my tranny locks in 3, or 4th gear. They reset the pc, all set....two weeks later the tranny blew. Had a private tranny company fix it for $2800. Not to mention the 7.3 qrts of syntheic it needs to run that little powerplant. All in all, great looking, running, fast car. But, any 25 or under drivers beware, i understand cars break but make sure you have the wallet to afford it! Hope this helps."

Sweet Ride

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I love my S-80. It is the best car I have ever owned. It is truly a touring car. When I am driving my Volvo, it is like we are one. The acceleration is super. I don't have to wait to change lanes. It responses so quickly and is a classy ride."

Comfort first

By on Saturday, June 13, 2009

"I have had 4 volvos, a 1970 for 15 years, a 1980 for 9 years, and a 1988 for 12 years. Now I got this one. Comfort has jumped far more than expected in my newest model. I thought I got a fairly good deal, but two weeks after I got it, the electronic throttle control malfunctioned. The only way you knew was the digital readout on the dash. I took it to the dealer to repair; it was 1 K, so I guess the deal got less favorable. It runs beautifully, and is exceptionally comfortable, but I am worried about the reliability. The cv joints were repacked, too, another 1/2 K. I did not need all these expenses after just purchasing it, but who knew? I guess things can happen without a great deal of warning. I expect to have it for awhile, and maybe put money into it more favorably than initially. The other three required repairs, too, but not big chuncks usually."

Would recommed ONLY for dependability

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Very dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "Sererely lacks Power"

"Bought my 2001 S80 at an auction with 118000 miles on it for $5,500. I had driven Cadillac's ( STS, Eldo ETC ) for over 10 years. I was disappointed with the performance of the S80!! No power at all. It now has 228,000 miles on it. I had to have the tranni rebuilt at 157,000 miles. I had to do the suspension over at this time also. I did it myself so it was inexpensive to do. Other than that all I had to do was replace a couple of coil packs. I can't complain about the tranni popping at 157,000. So, over all the car was dependable. On road trips the car got 27 MPG. around town it got 18 MPG. If it were not for the lack or power I would have been completely satisfied...."