• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2000 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 310 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Don't buy one!

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"I just had to write this to warn potential buyers of used S80's...or at least if you must have the style factor, get a good extended warranty! If you do your online research of S80's, you will quickly realize that there's quite a pile of very unsatisfied owners. I bought my '99 S80 T-6 very lightly used with only 39k miles. I have owned it for over 3 years now with 74k miles. The seats are great, handling is above par, power is good, audio system is awesome. Aside from that, the car has been a nightmare. I've replaced almost every component of the front suspension, (about $3,000) one of the turbos went, (1,500) the A/C only works sprattically (no one can figure that one out) and it is currently in the shop after the timing belt seized on me. I just recieved a quote from the Volvo dealer of $6101.02 if there is no damage to the engine block, and $6968.46 if there is. This is not just me! I've heard many others out there with similar stories. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS CAR, IT WILL EAT YOU ALIVE!!!"

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Nice car drives like a wet sponge

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Bought the car used and have had it for a year. No problems to report after 26k of driving. Grreat handling AWD is nice but rarely used. Only compliant is the acceleraton at highway speeds...lets just say cruising is good but if you need the horsepower to pass someone (anyone) try a different car, or give this thing a wide birth. The turbo lag is horrendous. BUT value wise, this car is a bargain used. Fit and finish in the interior is nice. Firm leather doesn't really crack or show age badly, unlike some of the softer leather out there. The gas mileage is nice even though you have to use premium. Definitly recommended i drive 20,000 + a year so far this car has never missed a beat."

Interior Problems 2000 S80

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"I bought this Volvo in 2000 after having owned four earlier Volvos. Only after 60,000 miles the fabric started to fail throughout the interior and I have seen this on other S 80 Volvos. The fabric is backed by a foam layer and apparently the adhesive used had a bad chemical reaction with the foam and the foam deteriorated. Because of this, the fabric sags from the door panels and front & side pillars. Because the warranty period was up, Volvo would only replace this at great expense even though this was definitely a manufacturing defect. The newer Volvos, from my experience, are not the Volvos of the past that were extremely durable. My mother in law bought a Honda around the same time at half the price of my Volvo and it has held up much better. Also, repairs can be outrageously expensive."

Found clean car at auction

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"I found a 2000 S80 at action for a great price. I love the ride, especially at speed. My car burns through the flat tires - especially the rear. I live in South Florida so it may just be the coral rock some of the roads. I did have to do a transmission on this car at 85000. That was probably why I found it at a good price at auction. Love to have the new model."