• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1999 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 310 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Best I've owned

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "Very pleasant luxury ride with great reliability."

Cons: "Don't have any."

"This car has been reliable and continues to supply excellent service. At this mileage it rides as well as when I bought it with 46,000 miles. The only repairs besides normal maintenance have been the emergency brake. Exhaust system is still original. Have replaced the rear struts, but after 200+K expected much worse."

Great car, if you can afford to maintain it

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Solid car, no rattles, very comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain and repair, bad gas mileage"

My S80

"I purchased a used 2004 Volvo S80 2.9L with 90k miles two years ago. It currently has 107k on it. Previous owners took care of it and I think that has helped. My experience has been mostly positive but, I have sunk serious money into mine like others have. Steering box developed issues last year and cost $2500 to replace at the dealer. Had pieces of the exhaust replaced due to rust, which is normal for any car of it's age. The only time it left me stranded was when the ignition cylinder failed a few months ago, preventing me from turning the key. Had to be towed to the dealer and cost me $400 to fix. Dealer is expensive but, they have been nice and always perform good repair work. It's an extremely comfortable car and I suppose it does get decent gas mileage for it's size, although it's still could be improved (19 city/29-30 highway). Knock on wood, it hasn't leaked anything or burned oil yet, nor have I had any problems with the interior. The S80's safety record is still excellent, even by today's standards, which is a big plus. This car feels like a tank. Even though it has required some expensive repairs, it does NOT feel like it will die anytime soon... Still runs very strong and tight."

My S80

best year this car was made

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "turbo can't imagine getting on the expressway wit"

Cons: "not an suv"

"I have a 2004 Volvo and I've loved it since the day I bought it. I would like to have a SUV just because of grandkids and dogs but I can't bear to part with it. I have 149k miles on it and never had any issues. It was diffidently a good year this car was made."

ok car but exspensive to fix trans sticky and turo

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Reason: trans

"good car just needs to be maintained properly"

Seeing is believing.

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, cost efficient, easy to maintain"

Cons: "few cupholders, maint. can be pricey"

"I am 16 years old, and this is my first modern car, my other being a classic. I love this car, and you have to own one to understand. Mine is a 2005 2.5 Turbo, that we purchased with 48900 miles on it in February, 2012. We paid less than $10,000 for what in '05 retailed for $42,000. This is a wonderful driver for someone like me, and I feel safe as well as comfortable. The turbo is peppy and the cabin is luxurious. The only issue I have had is the maintenance. I have had to take it in only twice in a year for about $1000 of maintenance, but the problems were unrelated and happened by chance. I have read reviews about how hard these cars are to maintain, how much it costs, and how you can only get it done at the dealer. You can't buy a luxury car without expecting high maintenance prices, but there is a shop in my neighborhood specializing in Volvo. Independent shops are not so hard to find. One overly critical review I read was about how hard it was to change the headlight bulb and how it cost $200 at the dealer, and how Volvo makes it impossible to replace it on your own. I work on cars as a hobby, mostly classic cars, and I replaced both bulbs in my driveway in 15 minutes. I paid $25 for the pack of 2 bulbs. It isn't that hard. The same review stated that even a "simple oil change" was impossible, thanks to Volvo. Took me 45 minutes on a lift. Overall I love every aspect of this car, minus the minor reliability concern. Maintenance costs are not an issue if you can find a reliable shop or know someone who works on cars."

European class luxury and performance

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "excellent styling and power, extremely comfortable"

Cons: "reliability is an issue"

"I purchased this car when it was 2 years old, and I have put over 130,000 miles on it myself. The T6 is wonderfully powerful and so comfortable. It makes long trips effortless and fun. The only bad thing about the car is...it simply will eat you alive on maintenance once things start to go wrong. Coil packs are a particular item it consumes with wild abandon, to the cost of about $400 per visit. If you are prepared to spend some money now and then, and have some decent mechanical skills to where you can do some of the work yourself, this car is awesome. Otherwise, pass...pass...PASS!"

I love my car..

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, very safe looks great still"

"that's why I have kept it for 10 years... minimum issues. one recall ,,I have kept all maintenance records and appointments."

Love hate relationship

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable nice drive and size - SAFETY"

Cons: "high cost to own and must be repaired by dealer"

"Drives and handles nice. Definitely feel safe in this car. No rattles solid feel. Expensive to get serviced, never under $700.00. Under warranty several items repaired only to pop up again after warranty over. Paint blistered and peeled (never had a car do this before). Just waiting for the next $2000.00 repair bill. Definitely selling."

would never buy a volvo again!!!!

By on Sunday, September 09, 2012

Pros: "seating & pick up"

Cons: "cost of repairs"

"I have a 2006 S80 with 56,000miles for about a year.Never owned a volvo before and never will again. In today's market and the price of repairs this is not the car to buy.I took it in for a head light blub cost me over 200.00 dollars.This is really something that a consumer could have done but volvo makes it impossible to do the simplest repair even to change the oil.Makes me worry on what will be next and the cost!!!!!Also does not hold its value."

Not like the ole school volvos

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

"I had to rebuild the Transmission at 112K and the Engine at 190000 which was overdue. I had an experience with a Volvo Dealer just like the other guys' review. Lights on after the Tranny Rebuilt so the Transmission guy said the tires are low in air and he filled them and allll the lights went off. I had already paid Volvo Dealer for diagnostic and they said it needed several sensors when in reality all it needed was proper air level. The Volvo dealer said they will come back on sooner or later but it's been 3yrs since the Tranny work and they never did come back on... what a shameful diagnostic by Volvo!"