2015 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $28,770 - $31,803.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 07/28/2016

10/7.7

Based on 73 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

The Sure-footed Swede

By on Thursday, March 24, 2016

Pros: "Beautiful, value, efficient, fast, agile"

Cons: "Ride, rear seat, trunk"

"I have owned this car, certified pre-owned, since 8,800 miles (approx.). I've put a little over 5,000 miles on it since, and I can't say much of anything negative about it. Ember Black Pearl metallic paint is a WONDERFUL color. If there is anything I would improve, it would be the dashboard. There is an area around the central air vent that's missing an aluminum ring around it (compare it to the outer air vents), and I wouldn't mind having the dashboard wrapped in stitched leather. (It's soft-touch plastic.) Mercs, Jags, Lexuses and Audis probably have marginally-better attention to the finer details. That being said, short of a few niggles on the interior, there is absolutely NO shortage of comfort. The leather and seats are soft, sumptuous and supportive enough for the average sport driver, though those dedicated to the art would likely prefer a REAR-wheel drive car. The rear seat room is a little tight so I wouldn't recommend it for VERY long hauls. You better not mind frequent trips to the grocery store because of its small trunk. And if you get the Sport Package, be prepared to feel the imperfections in the road. On the flip side, with the sport suspension, it corners every bit like a BMW or a Cadillac. It's a beautiful, stylish and unique car that's a fantastic alternative to the more common German choices. It feels put together like a drum, and projected reliability (and experienced, in my case, so far) is excellent. Fuel economy is terrific (I only fill up about once a month AND it takes Regular gas), and it's a wonderful value if you're buying CPO. For the same price as a mid-range Camry or Accord, you can buy this beautiful, efficient and stylish full-on luxury car, fully-loaded, fast and fun. And its base engine is equal or superior to the competitors' offerings in both power and efficiency. Highly, HIGHLY recommended."

The winner

By on Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Pros: "Seats, durable materials, safety"

Cons: "Fuel economy, minor quibbles"

"Test drove this plus a bunch of other cars, and this was the winner in my budget. My must have list was all wheel drive, comfortable interior including good sound quality, and reliability. The pros: This car has the nicest looking interior, period bar none. Most comfortable seats by a mile. Great visibility even better with the button that collapses the rear seat headrests. The steering is great, the acceleration is smooth when not in sport mode, pretty fast when you are in sport mode. Handles great in the rain, have yet to drive in the snow since I just got this a few weeks ago. Came with the best CPO warranty short of, what, Mercedes Benz? And this car with all the miles it has on it and despite the fact that it's traveled to more than one dealer cross country in its life is in way better condition than newer cars I test drove. That gave me a ton of confidence that the materials inside are very durable and this car won't look trashed in 10 years. And it's low maintenance with only needing an oil change every 10k miles. It provided decent insulation from wind noise and bumps in the road. The cons: Not the best fuel economy. I'm not getting a drop better than EPA city estimates of 20 MPG - ouch! But this car was so nice I overlooked that. Not the best sound quality from the speakers but not horrible. Not the sexiest coolest car, but ok. Strange how the windshield wiper arm scrapes against the hood when you need to lift it to change the wiper blade. Also, the keyless entry thing is slow so I always try opening the door and it's still locked which is annoying. Also, the sport mode is a little unrefined. Other than the fuel economy, minor quibbles and I signed up for this knowing the fuel economy (but ignoring it since the car is so nice!)."

So Far So Good

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Definitely not your father's Volvo. Smart looking, incredibly comfortable, powerful engine. Some controls may be difficult to get use to. My initial experience has been a great one. The 5 year-60,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty with scheduled maint. included is about as good as it gets."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, style and performance"

Cons: "Minor interior design and multimedia control issue"

"I have the 2012 S60 T5 with Premium Package. Extremely comfortable, smooth ride and nice handling. I look forward to driving it even just to and from work. Very minor nitpicky stuff: the front passenger seatbelt buckle bangs against the interior when going over bumps (an adhesive felt patch fixed this), you have to hold down the power button on the multimedia system for 5 seconds for it to activate and the hooks for hanging your jacket/drycleaning don't hold more than one hanger very well. While I devoted the most verbage in this review to negatives, it was to hightlight that those are the only ones I have found - this is a really fun car. FYI - I shopped it against the BMW 3 series, Acura TSX, Infinti G series and Lexus ES. No comparison - best quality, most features and most comfort is the S60."

Great Car with versatility and comfort

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Power, handling, styling, AWD, comfort"

Cons: "rims are soft, tires are thin, a little tight."

"I actually have a 2012 but it was not listed. T6 AWD. The car handles amazing and would put it up against any Euro car. 300HP AWD really handles well. I can be cruising thru town very mannerly or jam on down the expressway with amazing quickness and handling. The interior is done very nicely and Volvo is always concerned with ergonomics. Some cautionary notes: this car does not come with a spare but can be purchases seperately. After getting stuck on Rt. 78 in Newark on a weeknight I learned that better to have a spare for road side assistance to replace the wheel instead of storing the car overnight since you can't Fix a Flat a blown sidewall. The T6 AWD rims are very soft and the tires and very thin so be careful when driving. They handle great but are exposed to damage and possible flat tire."

Volvo S 60 T5

By on Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pros: "Great value, luxurious, excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "interior storage"

"I've owned a BMW 3 series and test drove the Mercedes C250 and this car is so much better. It's very luxurious and had so much more value than either the MB or BMW. I drove it on the autobahn and it is near the standard of the German cars. My only real complaint and it is small is that there is no real stroage cubbies in the cockpit. Other than that, the driving dynamics are excellent as well as the overall ownership experience. We utilize the dealer in Pensacola and they are awesome."

After test driving many cars...

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "Top-notch interior, different styling"

Cons: "MPG, smallish trunk, smallish back seats"

"Full disclosure--my last car was as 98 S70 turbo. Full disclosure 2.0--I really thought I wanted a BMW 3 series. Having a little too much librarian blood, I researched the heck out of the sport sedan segment. Yeah. I like sport sedans. No, I love them. I want a peppy ride, but also a back seat that folds down so I can haul my music equipment. Why not get an SUV or crossover? I hate the handling. I am the quintessential sport sedan owner. All indicators said BMW 3 series. It is the benchmark. I know you all read those reviews, too, since you're bothering to read this. So, I test drove all potential rivals, excluding the Volvo because I was ready for a change. The rivals, I admit, were somewhat limited due to geographic limitations...what dealerships were in my area. My test cars: Passat TDI. I wanted to love this car since it has fabulous MPG. Handling was OK, but not great. Impressive torque, though. Exterior bland. Interior blander. What is it with the pleather? Kia Optima Turbo. This car is a gizmotron. The sunroof was cool. Handling was pretty sharp. Acceleration adequate. Exterior on the turbo was ugly. Interior was uglier. I am just not the demographic for this car. It is made for some 25-35 year old dude who for some reason wants a sedan. If I was that dude, I would go with the Dodge Charger. Ford Fusion Ecoboost. Hubs wanted to test this car. It gets great reviews. They didn't have a six, so I drove the four. It is noisy. Sure, the car is a gizmotron like the Optima. But, I don't really care about giving voice commands to my car. Just give me an easy to reach dial for the climate. The interior is spacious, but not appealing. I hate the much-lauded exterior. The grill looks like a catfish and the rear has those squinty Audi taillights(like the Kia Optima). I know other people love this look, but it makes me wince. I headed to the BMW dealership ready to buy. Already, I was sold on the the 328i's exterior. But, something unexpected happened when I got in the car. The interior was...strange. The info screen was kind of propped up on the dash. The cup-holders had a weird tray over them. What am I supposed to do with this tray when I have a coffee? Toss it in the back seat? It was all a bit unsettling. But, drive it. The steering is, indeed, wonderful. As is the braking. But, I just couldn't love the 8 speed automatic. Getting on the freeway, tearing through an awful lot of gears on an on-ramp, just wasn't pleasant. Then, there was the gas-saving feature. The engine turns off at stop-lights. Wonderful in theory. Annoying in practice. Sure, you can turn that off, but why pay extra for something that annoys you? Ditto on the heads-up display. Fine. I'm going to go look at the Volvo S60 because it is just down the street from the BMW joint. The S60 has a great eye-catching exterior with the sweeping line of the trunk and the bold grill, but I really wanted to move into another brand. Ugh. I got into the car and absolutely loved the interior. It is elegant and simple. The ride is miles superior from my old S70. It was smooth, but had just the right amount of road feel. The 6 speed automatic handled a quick shift from 0-65 with pleasant ease. I knew after five minutes in the car that it was "The One." Sometimes, you just know. I can't vouch for reliability since I've only had it for a month. So far, so good. Oh, and when an artist friend saw the new car, she said, "I don't usually notice cars, but that car is beautiful.""

Hugh Surprise

By on Saturday, December 26, 2009

"Looked all over for a nice sedan. Audi A-4, VW CC, American Iron, etc. I wanted a vehicle that the manufacture owned at least 5 years. Volve started a program on the S-60 that met my needs. I drove the vehicle and was totally surprised. Comfortable, quite, and a terrific ride. Six months later it just keeps getting better. The S-60 handles like a high dollar rocket at a fraction of the cost. I can work the radio and everything works better than advertised. It doesn't have the power of my M, however as a daily driver it handles fine on our highways. My wife loves it and we plan on keeping it a long time. The tech info is simple. Put gas in it and press the accelerator. The turbo will handle the rest. I have owned about 20 different cars and SUV's in my life and the S-60 has to be on the top of the list for quality and safety."

Volvo hits a home run

By on Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pros: "Delivers on many levels - very well done"

Cons: "Nav system is not quite as good as the rest of Sensus"

"This car is brilliant. It balances style, performance, comfort, luxury, safety, fuel economy, value, technology, and quality in one incredible package. While the T6 is a 300HP rocket, I decided on the T5 version. Its quite a bit cheaper and you get 30MPG highway with 250HP, and it is nearly as responsive as the T6. Oh, and did I mention it runs on REGULAR gas? The car looks great on the outside, and the interior is elegant. During normal driving it is smooth and quiet. I got every package (Climate, Dynamic, Premium, Technology, and Multimedia) and it was worth it. My favorite feature is Adaptive Cruise Control: It is almost magic. The Premium Sound system is excellent. The safety systems are smart, will save lives, and may make you a better driver. And the Sensus System is simple and easy to use and allows you to customize the car to your liking. And I think reliability is a good bet here - Consumer reports has Volvo and Lexus tied in overall manufacturer reliability, and ranks them quite a bit higher than BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. I do have a minor compliant with the Navigation system - its interface does not appear to be quite as good as the rest of Sensus, and takes a little getting used to. But it does work once you get the hang of it. But like I said, this is minor. The car is great."

One of the best kept secrets on the road

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pros: "Performance, MPG, fit and finish, quality, Style"

Cons: "xenon should be standard"

"I now have 12,500 miles on the ODO and have had zero issues. Car pretty much works like an iPhone. Handles nearly as well as my old benz but gets better gas mileage (28-31 on mixed fast and stop-n-go). Accelerates briskly but smoothly. In sports mode, alter-ego could get you a ticket quick! Interior and exterior sport excellent fit and finish. Seats are some of the best in the business. Bang and Olufsen like interior speaks of quality at a level that BWM and Mercedes don't give you until you reach E/S or 7. Lot's of standard safety features and top of class crash worthiness. Premium sound system is quite good and so is plug-n-play bluetooth. Voice response is very good. Sensus infotainment system is simple and easy to use. Navy is right on. Car provides right blend of luxury, perfomance and practical sweedishness. A nice break from the Beemer/Benz/Audi crowd."