2012 Volvo S60

Based on 74 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

The Sure-footed Swede

By on Thursday, March 24, 2016

Pros: "Beautiful, value, efficient, fast, agile"

Cons: "Ride, rear seat, trunk"

"I have owned this car, certified pre-owned, since 8,800 miles (approx.). I've put a little over 5,000 miles on it since, and I can't say much of anything negative about it. Ember Black Pearl metallic paint is a WONDERFUL color. If there is anything I would improve, it would be the dashboard. There is an area around the central air vent that's missing an aluminum ring around it (compare it to the outer air vents), and I wouldn't mind having the dashboard wrapped in stitched leather. (It's soft-touch plastic.) Mercs, Jags, Lexuses and Audis probably have marginally-better attention to the finer details. That being said, short of a few niggles on the interior, there is absolutely NO shortage of comfort. The leather and seats are soft, sumptuous and supportive enough for the average sport driver, though those dedicated to the art would likely prefer a REAR-wheel drive car. The rear seat room is a little tight so I wouldn't recommend it for VERY long hauls. You better not mind frequent trips to the grocery store because of its small trunk. And if you get the Sport Package, be prepared to feel the imperfections in the road. On the flip side, with the sport suspension, it corners every bit like a BMW or a Cadillac. It's a beautiful, stylish and unique car that's a fantastic alternative to the more common German choices. It feels put together like a drum, and projected reliability (and experienced, in my case, so far) is excellent. Fuel economy is terrific (I only fill up about once a month AND it takes Regular gas), and it's a wonderful value if you're buying CPO. For the same price as a mid-range Camry or Accord, you can buy this beautiful, efficient and stylish full-on luxury car, fully-loaded, fast and fun. And its base engine is equal or superior to the competitors' offerings in both power and efficiency. Highly, HIGHLY recommended."

The winner

By on Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Pros: "Seats, durable materials, safety"

Cons: "Fuel economy, minor quibbles"

"Test drove this plus a bunch of other cars, and this was the winner in my budget. My must have list was all wheel drive, comfortable interior including good sound quality, and reliability. The pros: This car has the nicest looking interior, period bar none. Most comfortable seats by a mile. Great visibility even better with the button that collapses the rear seat headrests. The steering is great, the acceleration is smooth when not in sport mode, pretty fast when you are in sport mode. Handles great in the rain, have yet to drive in the snow since I just got this a few weeks ago. Came with the best CPO warranty short of, what, Mercedes Benz? And this car with all the miles it has on it and despite the fact that it's traveled to more than one dealer cross country in its life is in way better condition than newer cars I test drove. That gave me a ton of confidence that the materials inside are very durable and this car won't look trashed in 10 years. And it's low maintenance with only needing an oil change every 10k miles. It provided decent insulation from wind noise and bumps in the road. The cons: Not the best fuel economy. I'm not getting a drop better than EPA city estimates of 20 MPG - ouch! But this car was so nice I overlooked that. Not the best sound quality from the speakers but not horrible. Not the sexiest coolest car, but ok. Strange how the windshield wiper arm scrapes against the hood when you need to lift it to change the wiper blade. Also, the keyless entry thing is slow so I always try opening the door and it's still locked which is annoying. Also, the sport mode is a little unrefined. Other than the fuel economy, minor quibbles and I signed up for this knowing the fuel economy (but ignoring it since the car is so nice!)."

So Far So Good

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Definitely not your father's Volvo. Smart looking, incredibly comfortable, powerful engine. Some controls may be difficult to get use to. My initial experience has been a great one. The 5 year-60,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty with scheduled maint. included is about as good as it gets."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, style and performance"

Cons: "Minor interior design and multimedia control issue"

"I have the 2012 S60 T5 with Premium Package. Extremely comfortable, smooth ride and nice handling. I look forward to driving it even just to and from work. Very minor nitpicky stuff: the front passenger seatbelt buckle bangs against the interior when going over bumps (an adhesive felt patch fixed this), you have to hold down the power button on the multimedia system for 5 seconds for it to activate and the hooks for hanging your jacket/drycleaning don't hold more than one hanger very well. While I devoted the most verbage in this review to negatives, it was to hightlight that those are the only ones I have found - this is a really fun car. FYI - I shopped it against the BMW 3 series, Acura TSX, Infinti G series and Lexus ES. No comparison - best quality, most features and most comfort is the S60."

Great Car with versatility and comfort

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Power, handling, styling, AWD, comfort"

Cons: "rims are soft, tires are thin, a little tight."

"I actually have a 2012 but it was not listed. T6 AWD. The car handles amazing and would put it up against any Euro car. 300HP AWD really handles well. I can be cruising thru town very mannerly or jam on down the expressway with amazing quickness and handling. The interior is done very nicely and Volvo is always concerned with ergonomics. Some cautionary notes: this car does not come with a spare but can be purchases seperately. After getting stuck on Rt. 78 in Newark on a weeknight I learned that better to have a spare for road side assistance to replace the wheel instead of storing the car overnight since you can't Fix a Flat a blown sidewall. The T6 AWD rims are very soft and the tires and very thin so be careful when driving. They handle great but are exposed to damage and possible flat tire."