2012 Volvo S60

Based on 65 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

After test driving many cars...

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "Top-notch interior, different styling"

Cons: "MPG, smallish trunk, smallish back seats"

"Full disclosure--my last car was as 98 S70 turbo. Full disclosure 2.0--I really thought I wanted a BMW 3 series. Having a little too much librarian blood, I researched the heck out of the sport sedan segment. Yeah. I like sport sedans. No, I love them. I want a peppy ride, but also a back seat that folds down so I can haul my music equipment. Why not get an SUV or crossover? I hate the handling. I am the quintessential sport sedan owner. All indicators said BMW 3 series. It is the benchmark. I know you all read those reviews, too, since you're bothering to read this. So, I test drove all potential rivals, excluding the Volvo because I was ready for a change. The rivals, I admit, were somewhat limited due to geographic limitations...what dealerships were in my area. My test cars: Passat TDI. I wanted to love this car since it has fabulous MPG. Handling was OK, but not great. Impressive torque, though. Exterior bland. Interior blander. What is it with the pleather? Kia Optima Turbo. This car is a gizmotron. The sunroof was cool. Handling was pretty sharp. Acceleration adequate. Exterior on the turbo was ugly. Interior was uglier. I am just not the demographic for this car. It is made for some 25-35 year old dude who for some reason wants a sedan. If I was that dude, I would go with the Dodge Charger. Ford Fusion Ecoboost. Hubs wanted to test this car. It gets great reviews. They didn't have a six, so I drove the four. It is noisy. Sure, the car is a gizmotron like the Optima. But, I don't really care about giving voice commands to my car. Just give me an easy to reach dial for the climate. The interior is spacious, but not appealing. I hate the much-lauded exterior. The grill looks like a catfish and the rear has those squinty Audi taillights(like the Kia Optima). I know other people love this look, but it makes me wince. I headed to the BMW dealership ready to buy. Already, I was sold on the the 328i's exterior. But, something unexpected happened when I got in the car. The interior was...strange. The info screen was kind of propped up on the dash. The cup-holders had a weird tray over them. What am I supposed to do with this tray when I have a coffee? Toss it in the back seat? It was all a bit unsettling. But, drive it. The steering is, indeed, wonderful. As is the braking. But, I just couldn't love the 8 speed automatic. Getting on the freeway, tearing through an awful lot of gears on an on-ramp, just wasn't pleasant. Then, there was the gas-saving feature. The engine turns off at stop-lights. Wonderful in theory. Annoying in practice. Sure, you can turn that off, but why pay extra for something that annoys you? Ditto on the heads-up display. Fine. I'm going to go look at the Volvo S60 because it is just down the street from the BMW joint. The S60 has a great eye-catching exterior with the sweeping line of the trunk and the bold grill, but I really wanted to move into another brand. Ugh. I got into the car and absolutely loved the interior. It is elegant and simple. The ride is miles superior from my old S70. It was smooth, but had just the right amount of road feel. The 6 speed automatic handled a quick shift from 0-65 with pleasant ease. I knew after five minutes in the car that it was "The One." Sometimes, you just know. I can't vouch for reliability since I've only had it for a month. So far, so good. Oh, and when an artist friend saw the new car, she said, "I don't usually notice cars, but that car is beautiful.""

Hugh Surprise

By on Saturday, December 26, 2009

"Looked all over for a nice sedan. Audi A-4, VW CC, American Iron, etc. I wanted a vehicle that the manufacture owned at least 5 years. Volve started a program on the S-60 that met my needs. I drove the vehicle and was totally surprised. Comfortable, quite, and a terrific ride. Six months later it just keeps getting better. The S-60 handles like a high dollar rocket at a fraction of the cost. I can work the radio and everything works better than advertised. It doesn't have the power of my M, however as a daily driver it handles fine on our highways. My wife loves it and we plan on keeping it a long time. The tech info is simple. Put gas in it and press the accelerator. The turbo will handle the rest. I have owned about 20 different cars and SUV's in my life and the S-60 has to be on the top of the list for quality and safety."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, style and performance"

Cons: "Minor interior design and multimedia control issue"

"I have the 2012 S60 T5 with Premium Package. Extremely comfortable, smooth ride and nice handling. I look forward to driving it even just to and from work. Very minor nitpicky stuff: the front passenger seatbelt buckle bangs against the interior when going over bumps (an adhesive felt patch fixed this), you have to hold down the power button on the multimedia system for 5 seconds for it to activate and the hooks for hanging your jacket/drycleaning don't hold more than one hanger very well. While I devoted the most verbage in this review to negatives, it was to hightlight that those are the only ones I have found - this is a really fun car. FYI - I shopped it against the BMW 3 series, Acura TSX, Infinti G series and Lexus ES. No comparison - best quality, most features and most comfort is the S60."

Volvo hits a home run

By on Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pros: "Delivers on many levels - very well done"

Cons: "Nav system is not quite as good as the rest of Sensus"

"This car is brilliant. It balances style, performance, comfort, luxury, safety, fuel economy, value, technology, and quality in one incredible package. While the T6 is a 300HP rocket, I decided on the T5 version. Its quite a bit cheaper and you get 30MPG highway with 250HP, and it is nearly as responsive as the T6. Oh, and did I mention it runs on REGULAR gas? The car looks great on the outside, and the interior is elegant. During normal driving it is smooth and quiet. I got every package (Climate, Dynamic, Premium, Technology, and Multimedia) and it was worth it. My favorite feature is Adaptive Cruise Control: It is almost magic. The Premium Sound system is excellent. The safety systems are smart, will save lives, and may make you a better driver. And the Sensus System is simple and easy to use and allows you to customize the car to your liking. And I think reliability is a good bet here - Consumer reports has Volvo and Lexus tied in overall manufacturer reliability, and ranks them quite a bit higher than BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. I do have a minor compliant with the Navigation system - its interface does not appear to be quite as good as the rest of Sensus, and takes a little getting used to. But it does work once you get the hang of it. But like I said, this is minor. The car is great."

Endless problems with my new S60 T5

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Could be fun to drive, comfy, great seats"

Cons: "Quality control, dealer service and Volvo NA"

"I have never had a vehicle with as many issues out the chute as this one. It takes many visits to the dealer to get them to address any issue; they tend to deny that the problem exists and hope you run out of time and don't come back. Volvo of North America has been inept and pathetic in handling my case. They are just not interested in customer service. These are issues that were resolved: - pressure release valve in a/c causing loud metallic noise. - bad fuel pump causing hard starting from cold. These are the issues that are unresolved: - Wobble in steering around 40mph. Dealer cannot detect any issue. - Surging and jerking in all gears and at all speeds. Volvo tells me this is normal. - Brakes are weak and appear to be losing vaccum. Volvo tells me this is normal. - Delayed engagement of first gear when pulling away from a stop. Volvo informs me that this is normal. I had a C30 before. None of these issues. Great car."