2009 Volvo S60

Based on 119 Ratings for the 2006 - 2008 models.

Under Appreciated

By on Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pros: "Performance (hp:weight"

Cons: "Turning radius with 18" wheels, rear leg room for adults"

"Wonderful car. Sublime daily handling with excellent winter competency (with snow tires), extremely high quality and comfortable interior. Driven prudently on the highway, millage is also very good for a 300hp sedan, owing to its relatively low weight (but it still crashes better than all others). Breaking is unsurpassed by anything short of an a Prosche with carbon-ceramic breaks. Variation in adjustable suspension is quite dramatic, unlike some other systems where changes are barely observable. 6 speed automatic is pleasantly aggressive, but not overdone, and reasonably responsive (better than comparable model year Tiptronic) in manu-matic mode. It is true that the turning radius is not as good as comparable cars, but this is clearly the result of big wheels in small wheel wells, and the big wheels help with grip in the wet and snow - so it is a trade-off. Also, using the standard 17" wheels, and avoiding the optional 18" wheels improves turning radius substantially. Winter traction with snow tires on 17" wheels in long Cleveland winters has been excellent. The ergonomics of interior are excellent, fit and finish of materials, especially the gobi and atacama leather, are impressive - much softer and more comfortable than other automotive leathers that are heavily treated and feel plastic. Interior is low VOC (volatile organic compound). Reliability, despite hard driving in Cleveland, has been excellent. Suspension has been remarkably hearty and pot-hole tolerant, enduring a particularly bad wheel-bending pot-hole incident without problems, even several thousand miles later. Passage between trunk and cabin when rear seats are folded down is unusually large. However, rear seat leg rooms is limited, and unsuitable for large adults on long trips, though it is fine for kids, and easy to use with LATCH system child seats. This car would have sold much better if it had been branded an Audi."

OK

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive to Maintain"

"Great new car... but small items tend to drive you nuts! Air conditioning has been an issue... Fun to drive, great on ice/snow but overall hasn't aged as well as Toyota's or Honda's i've driven in the past. Oil changes are more expensive unless you are a DIY'er."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Stylish, responsive, reliable, high quality"

Cons: "Front end very low to ground"

"I've had this car for 8 years and it still drives like a dream. It's peppy and handles the road well in all kinds of weather. The design has also stood up well and it doesn't look as old as it is. The interior and exterior are in great shape too. My only complaint is that the front end is very low to the ground and you have to be careful pulling into parking spaces with cement block stoppers. Other than that, the car is terrific."

3rd Volvo and hooked FOREVER!

By on Saturday, April 04, 2015

Pros: "Body style is my favorite, gas mileage, reliable"

Cons: "Steering radius"

"My first Volvo was the S 60 it was a 2004 and I loved it but had some issues with the car that were a bit costly to repair. My second Volvo was the XC 90 it was a 2005 and it was awesome but I do a lot of driving in the city and the mpg in town was a bit low and it was at a time when gas prices were crazy high. My third Volvo was once again the S 60 it is a 2008. I bought the car when it was two years old and it has been the most reliable car and the gas mileage is better than listed. In town I average about 22 mpg and the highway about 30 mpg. I have noticed the mileage is higher when I maintain 80 mph or higher. I have had the car up to 145 mph and I was literally gliding on air. My next one will be a C 70 however I will keep my S 60 for the reliability and safety features which Volvo surpasses compared to other vehicles especially in the luxury class."

Good value

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"You get what you pay for a nice comfortable car with an affordable price. I have had some minor issues but this is my first car and it was 4 years old when I got it. 2 rear bulbs replaced and a headlight. Also, brand new rear tires went completely bald in 6 months. After replacement and alignment no issues. And the right rear brakes locked up and it had to be towed which was included under the extended warranty"