2006 Volvo S60

Based on 118 Ratings for the 2006 - 2008 models.

Volvo S-60R, 2005 and 2006 models

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Great Car, Fun to Drive, It'll last a long time"

Cons: "Limited back seat space"

S60-R

"I have a 2005 Volvo S-60R, the basic difference between the 2006 model is the 6-speed transmission vs the 2005 5-speed transmission and the so-called iPod connection (that never worked properly). My S-60R has always worked in a suberb manner, it's fast (300 HP), it' stopped faster then any other vehicle I've had (thank you Brembo brakes). My Volvo is fast, and stops on a dime (my Volvo has 92,000 miles). The quality of vehicle goes beyond almost all other vehicles. Granted there are preventive maintive issues you'll have to deal with, like the Timing belt, and the water pump (over 90,000 miles). The radiator should be replaced at 90,000 to 100,000 miles (not unusal for any car sold in the USA). The thing is, everything else works. And I do mean everything else works, the power seats, the radio, the electronics for the cruise control, DSTC, etc, they all work. It's a great car. My next car? A Volvo"

S60-R

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful, smooth ride-will stick with Volvo"

Cons: "Expensive repair and lack of public knowledge"

"I have had my car for 2 years now. I love it! It has comfort, handling, and of course, a little power to it. The only thing is that NO matter what you are replacing/or getting fixed, it WILL be expensive. As a college student, I would be in the pits if something significant happened. So far, so good however! Let's hope Volvo stands true to it's name of reliability."

Fast, Agile and Pretty to boot!

By on Thursday, December 02, 2010

"I bought my 2006 S-60 2.5 turbo All Wheel Drive in May, 2009 as a Certified Pro Owned from a great Volvo dealer in Ft Collins CO. It had 32K miles and was a lease return from Ohio, so the documentation from Volvo stated. I have also (like another review said) gotten better mileage than the EPA estimates states. With cruise control I have gotten as high as 36.5mpg, that almost sounds impossible but the mileage computer jives with the incredible range this thing has on a roadtrip, over 500 miles. I did a lot of touring in very hot weather that summer in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and S Colorado with temps over 100F, the car performed great, always kept cool and drove like a dream. I drove my S-60 to Alaska, where I live in the fall of 2010, it was a pleasure and even fully loaded with my stuff, I still averaged 32mpg, awesome! I have now had my S-60 through 1 1/2 winters and it is a fantastic car for snow, ice and generally crummy road conditions. The ABS, and Dynamic Stability and Traction Control combine to make it extremely stable and safe, I love it. As for problems...I had the HVAC blower motor replaced under the CPO warranty, it worked fine but whined, they determined that it was failing. I have had both tie rod ends replaced also under the CPO warranty, thats a wear item so it wasnt a failure of any kind. I have been impressed with the quality of this car, its a pleasure to drive and it looks great. Mine is Magic Blue which was only available just in 2006 so even when I see another S-60, they arent ever Magic Blue! I also have the climate package with heated seats, dual power seats, leather and the sliding moonroof. I would definitly recommend this car to anyone, I love it and a car that preforms well in the Arctic is one you can count on anywhere."

Excellent!!!

By on Friday, October 18, 2013

Pros: "power, ride comfort, preformance, realibility."

Cons: "NONE"

"In my 46 years of driving, and 17 cars (7 brand new), I have never experianced the comfort, realibility, preformance, and value of a car like this. In the five years I have owned this car, I have experianced not a major issue and only one factory covered problem which was minor. Granted, I have taken very good car of this car ie: maintenace and constant (3000 mile) oil changes and check ups.. The car contiues to ride brand new. Gas milage has increased with age. I would recommend this car to anyone."

Great car

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, Quiet, Great Stereo, Smooth gearbox"

Cons: "Rear leg room, The dealer's outrageous prices"

"You get everything that is expected from Volvo; Safety, Reliability, Comfort, And Sportiness. If you want a luxury car that isn't German or Japanese Volvo is in a class of their own.."

Great car but...

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

"Pros: Looks, style, front seat comfort, trunk space, good speakers and lots of them, fun to drive(I always drove 4 cylinders with no turbo before). Cons: Stereo lacking technology and difficult to replace/upgrade(some places told me they wouldn;t even try), back seat no leg room, MPG says 21/30 I drive mostly highway and get just over 21, poor turning radius."

Pretty when going straight

By on Sunday, March 28, 2010

"I leased this car new in '07. Love the look, the lines the color and still do. BUT, I will not be buying out of the lease due to the turning radius. It's abyssmal and scary. If I only had to drive on the highway I'd be fine, but for city driving, U-turns, it's a nightmare and so disappointing. I also do not like the way the headrest pushes my head forward. It's supposed to be a safety feature but after 3 years of driving this car I think it has affected my posture. I find it very sad as I really do like the look and the pickup."

Volvo S60

By on Thursday, December 04, 2008

"Nice car. Very reliable and the styling is great. Buy it if you want the sporty and stylish look in a good cruiser. Good pick up off the mark and very good passing power. Handling around corners is just so-so. That is, this car holds the road very well but the steering responsiveness is mediocre. If you like a sporty driving style, this car is not for you. If you want a reliable comfortable and stylish car that has a decent amount of power, you will probably like this vehicle."

Wouldn't do it again

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"Comfortable car with several large flaws. Turning radius is embarrassing. I have 4 wheel drive trucks that turn and park better. The biggest bummer about this model is the engine vibration that develops at around 18k miles. The service deptarment at my dealership says it's normal and the number one complaint on these cars second to the turning radius. I bought this car for the wonderfully smooth ride but am now trading it out due to the vibration. Too bad Volvo, I used to really love you!"

Best car I have ever had!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "ride, comfort, reliability, low maintenance costs"

Cons: "requires high octane gas"

"I have put approximately 200,000 miles on this car with only one real repair. Reliability has been fantastic and the ride smooth and completely comfortable. I would and probably will own another Volvo when I finally decide to trade this one in. It is still driving and working fantastically so it looks like it may be awhile yet."

I love my Vovlo

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "sharp car, very reliable, safe, fun to drive"

Cons: "not a lot of leg room in the back seat"

"i've had this car for 5yrs and it's been very good to me. I keep up with regular maintenance. Tires get changed when needed. Brakes the same. I've never had any major problems. I just had all spark plugs replaced per Volvo suggestion. It rides like the first day I bought it. I am very fastidious w/cleaning inside and out. I clean the engine every season. I clean under the seats and get in the cracks w/a toothbrush. I've been told my my Volvo mechanic that he's never seen sich a well kept car! I obviously drive a lot and I think I'm just ready for a new set of 4 walls so to speak! I'm vry attached to this car though so I just hope that whoever gets it continues the care I have so carefully kept."

Excellent in many ways

By on Thursday, August 13, 2009

"2007 S60 is excellent! I bought it used in 2008 and it was a steal. Great ride. By far the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. Front seats are the best on the market. Quick, stylish, fun to drive and gets 23 MPG -- even up to 30 on long highway drives."

This is my 4th Volvo, its been a great car.

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, repairs are not bad, gas is good"

Cons: "steering range is not the best."

"I bought my car in 2006 at Ontario Volvo, I take my car there for all repairs. I get compliments on the car all the time. Its metallic sapphire black with tinted windows and american racing rims. I take excellent car of this vehicle, who ever gets this car will love it."

Best Car I've ever owned

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "definitely fun to drive"

Cons: "poor placement of MP3 plug in; no leg room in back"

"Hands down this is the best car I've ever owned. I typically get bored with vehicles and replace them every 3 years. Still driving the S60 and love it! The performance and handling are superb. A few things I don't like. There is NO leg room in the back seat. I don't recommend this for people with teenagers or kids about to have a growth spurt like mine did AFTER we bought the car. It no longer fits the family. I also do NOT like the placement of the plug in for the MP3 player. It's inside the center console with no room for the wire to come out. So I've chewed through 2 cords for my iphone due to having the console lid closed on it and the constant rubbing. Much as I love my heated seats, they don't get as hot as I would like either. My husband has a Durango and his seats are much more toasty on the cold days. Overall minor complaints. The car drives like a dream, is amazing on gas (I've actually done a trip where I averaged almost 34 miles/gallon) and with all the paint Volvo puts on their cars you can't see a single parking lot ding, although I guarantee its been whacked by a door or two in the last 3 years."

Great Ride

By on Monday, August 02, 2010

"Bought this car used/CPO at the very end of 2009. Dealer did not know it was CPO, but I managed to find that information with a little research. Bought this car as a replacement for my 1993 Honda Accord EX that I absolutely loved! Even though the Honda was 17 years old with 217K, it was hard to replace. Mileage on my 2006 S60 2.5T is good. Better than expected, I would say. Cruise set at 74 I get 32 mpg, set the cruise at 62 and I've gotten 33+. Not too bad for a 4500 lb car. If needed, the 2.5 turbo gets with the program. FAST! Comfort is great. The leather seats are soft, but thick and high quality leather. Back seat room isn't the best, but I usually have small children riding when there is someone there. Adequate room for them. Styling is fantastic! I wish I had black, but with used you get what you get, and I couldn't pass this car up for the price I paid. Silver, but still very stylish. Volvo safety is second to none. With the Winter traveling we do, I wanted a safer car than a single airbag '93 Honda. The turning radius is wide, but a small sacrifice for the rest of the car. 84,000 miles and no issues. Only thing I won't do is get the Volvo 90,000 mile service. The only difference between the 90K and 82.5K is fuel line inspection and brake line inspection...for an additional $320! I'll just have them do the 82,500 again and a la carte the line inspection. Great car!"

Excellent Vehicle

By on Monday, November 30, 2009

"I love this car with only two notable exceptions: 1) Turning radius 2) Hitting a pot hole in sport mode can bottom out the shocks My wife's Audi S4 has no such problems but is not nearly as comfortable nor are the ergonomics even in the same league."

Excellent Car

By on Thursday, June 05, 2008

"I bought my 2006 S60 2.5T exactly a year ago and it has been a pleasure in every regard to own. I live in a big city and granted it only gets around 20 mpg in town, however, I took it on a road trip recently and got 36.3 mpg on the highway with the air conditioner going and averaging over 70 mph. It is a fine car in terms of performance as needed (passing, accelerating and so-on). I highly recommend this vehicle and do not think you will be disappointed."

Love this vehicle. Comfort and power all in one

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks and handle great !!"

Cons: "Center console is a bit too tight"

"This is a terrific road car. Travels and handles like a dream. Very comfortable and reasonably spacious. Have had SUVs in the past but love the fold down seats and leather in my S60. Mechanically good, only minor issues with power windows. Traction is terrific and is great on the freeway. This car is a wonderful blend of power, luxury and safety !!!!"

Stuck in park

By on Monday, February 08, 2010

"2006 37,000 miles won't shift out of park. Told it's not covered under warranty and I must have "wasted something sticky" in the gear shaft. Absolutely ridiculous! The cup holder is next to the shifter, as with many cars, so I guess it wouldn't be wise to drive with an open drink in the cup holder if you want your vehicle to move the next day."

Well Designed

By on Monday, January 25, 2010

"Very happy with this car, good economy, and the turbocharged 5 cyl engine is very peppy. Average 29mpg on hwy at 72mph. This car has been very reliable, except for oil changes every 4000 mi., and regular service (tire rotations ect...) never had any other mechanical issues with the car. The back seat can be cramped but rarely have anyone back there. The PERFECT executive commuter vehicle."

By on Tuesday, December 08, 2009

"Just replaced a 2003 S60 with a 2008 S60 5T, loved the old one and hope the new one holds up as well as the 2003. 100,000 miles on the 2003. Our only complaint is the, you guessed it, turning radius. But with all the other good stuff you can overlook one little problem. I would recommend the Volvo S60 to anyone."

Glad to get back to an R

By on Thursday, March 19, 2009

"I had an 850-R and felt sorry to trade it for an upscaled Japanese car. Luckily I found a preowned 2006 S60R in excellent condition and I felt I got my super powers back. Being an all wheel drive vehicle, you can't expect it to turn on a dime, I managed to correct this significantly by replacing the tires with Primewell PZ-900 235/45/ZR17's and the turns are now great. The old socket on the dash meant for the long gone analog phone works great to keep your sunglasses in. I definitely agree that this car is a keeper for the Volvo High Milage Club unless the R has another comeback preferably as a V6."

Amazing engineering!!

By on Sunday, February 22, 2009

"We've had our S60 for a little over a year and we love it. My wife and I were rear-ended by a pickup truck going approximately 50mph and we walked away without a scratch. The car buckled exactly the way it was designed to do. There was $20,000 of damage to the exterior and frame, but the inside of the car was impeccable. My wife's seat released exactly as it was supposed to (the Whiplash Protection Seating System). Volvo is legendary for their safety ratings and we can attest to that first-hand!!"

3rd Volvo and hooked FOREVER!

By on Saturday, April 04, 2015

Pros: "Body style is my favorite, gas mileage, reliable"

Cons: "Steering radius"

"My first Volvo was the S 60 it was a 2004 and I loved it but had some issues with the car that were a bit costly to repair. My second Volvo was the XC 90 it was a 2005 and it was awesome but I do a lot of driving in the city and the mpg in town was a bit low and it was at a time when gas prices were crazy high. My third Volvo was once again the S 60 it is a 2008. I bought the car when it was two years old and it has been the most reliable car and the gas mileage is better than listed. In town I average about 22 mpg and the highway about 30 mpg. I have noticed the mileage is higher when I maintain 80 mph or higher. I have had the car up to 145 mph and I was literally gliding on air. My next one will be a C 70 however I will keep my S 60 for the reliability and safety features which Volvo surpasses compared to other vehicles especially in the luxury class."

Good, dependable vehicle!

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "Nice quiet ride"

Cons: "Cup holders in front not great"

"Great handling, quiet ride. Has all the safety protection that you'd expect from a Volvo. Handles really well and has comfortable driving area though it sits a little low in passenger seat (limited visibility for short people). Cup holders not great, but great vehicle for work commute or longer driving. I'd buy another!"