2005 Volvo S60

8.3

Based on 348 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

SAFE BUT FAST

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Best car I have ever had. Works great in the snow."

expensive

By on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"105000 miles needs new front end and timing belt has body rust tires rub light bulbs always failing rough ride 2 sets tires in 2 years told this is normal"

Great commuter car

By on Sunday, October 03, 2010

"I purchased this vehicle used in March, 2008 with 104,000 miles for $6900 and have had minimal problems. Currently, it has 148,000 and I am upgrading to a used s80 and passing the s60 on to my teenage daughter. The only problem we have had is the check engine light comes on intermittently. The front seats are very comfortable, but the back seats are a bit cramped for adult passengers."

S60T 2002

By on Friday, October 01, 2010

"I bought this vehicle used at 19.5K miles 4 years ago and currently have 76Kmiles on it. The turbo is great and the comfort of the seats exceptional. I have had to replace the radiator twice but it was covered under warranty both times. Besides the issue with the radiator all I had to do was oil changes for the 1st 3 years.All other repairs have been normal wear and tear. Looking forward to driving to 200K"

great little sedan

By on Thursday, July 08, 2010

"I owned a 2001 S60 2.4T for 7 years. Bought it used w/ 27K miles & the 100K warranty. One of the best cars I've ever owned. Plenty of pick up, plush leather, big trunk, etc. Traded it in at 109K miles for an XC90. Only mechanical problems were a sway bar defect at around 70K and some fuel sensor/injector issue at around 80K, both expensive fixes but covered under the warranty so $0 for me. Dealer was great and I got loaner cars each time. I did perform all the scheduled maint and I have to believe that helped us not have many problems. My ONLY complaint about this car is the small back seat and I have 2 kids so we finally just had to go w/ the bigger XC90, they were getting cramped back there. If you don't use the backseat much it would not be an issue. I truly loved my little S60 and we will miss it."

Another great Volvo

By on Friday, December 26, 2008

"My 3rd Volvo since 1987, and my first brand-new any car purchase ever. I will probably drive it until it dies like I did my other Volvos. I always go for the base models, or as close to base as I can get. This one, a 2003 S60, is a base model i.e. 5-speed manual trans, no turbo, no sunroof, cloth seats, and all the usual standard goodies pertinent to this model year S60. I knocked off a star for performance -- it has plenty of performance for me, but given the current consumer demand for performance, I feel that others might not consider this to be a 5-star performer. And while I really don't care about style, I like Volvo's departure from the earlier "boxy" style body designs. So four stars for effort in the style/design department. I'm drooling over the C70 convertible..."

Still Great

By on Monday, December 08, 2008

"Even after 80,000 miles, this car is still fun to drive. In hindsight, I would have preferred the AWD version, but the FWD is plenty capable. The turbo is a must-have. I still get a kick out of zipping up the freeway on-ramp and having the ability to pass anything I want to at speed. The interior is very comfortable and roomy…as long as you’re in the front seat. The seats are very accommodating for long drives and those tight corners. This car has been pretty reliable and it’s a good thing too! Volvo repairs and maintenance come at a premium price, though I’ve not had to deal with too many. The rear visibility is shockingly poor, so I’m not surprised to hear the newer versions have sensors to make up for it. My only real complaint with the reliability of the car is my transmission, which takes an awkwardly long time to shift into gear from park and also likes to wander a bit when looking for the appropriate gear when driving. However, that doesn’t happen often so I’m overall very pleased with the car. I would recommend it to anyone."

Repairs are too much

By on Thursday, December 04, 2008

"2004 S60. I have had many small parts to break, gas door, hinge on truck. Now I have to replace the transmission. In all my years, my family nor myself have had to replace a transmission. Granted I have 96K miles but the car has been maintained."

Not car seat friendly BUT still a great car!

By on Sunday, September 21, 2008

"This is NOT a family car, especially if you have kids in car seats. I found out a little too late, but fortunately my youngest one is out of the booster seat now. The back seat is not car seat friendly. The turning radius is long but thats because of the way the car is made for. Not a lot of bells and whistles but the gas mileage is very good, acceleration is great, and very comfortable to ride in. Stability is excellent; have been in some situations where this car has lived up to its performance. Overall love the car! Hope this info helps!"

nice looks and power, but...

By on Sunday, June 08, 2008

"numersous mechanical issues in the 2 years I have owned, it's reather noisy as if road noise was an afterthought. Handling is only so so, but the power is pretty good, only a little hesitant when the stability control is on, which is a hinderance to everyday driving. I like the styling and the seats are plush and comfy. Problems we've had include rocker arms/struts that were costly to replace, brakes that rattle when brake life gets low, and oil pan gaskets that required removal of engine to change out."

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"I purchased a 2001 S60 2.4T in 2004 and have been thrilled with the car. At 6+ years old it runs like new and still looks great. I plan to hold onto this car for several more years."

The best sports car going

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"I have 25000 miles and no problems. I have had it up to 145 MPH and all I can say is sweet. You can ride like a Caddy or a Firebird or a Vet all at your finger tip. It has great body styling and it looks like any other nice car but when you punch it away you go. This is a fast car and handles very well on mountain roads. Other cars are coming out with thing the Volvo had years ago."

Worst Volvo Ever

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"After 3 Volvo cars I loved (one 740T for 300k miles in 16yrs w/no repairs) this one turned me off for good. Bad brakes, bad transmission, bad front suspension, bad turning radius, bad front wheel drive, cheap PAINTED(???) plastic interior. Enough for me."

Good car, will buy another Volvo

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"Bought this car used a few months back. Have no issues, except the turning radius, and the check engine light is on and Volvo dealership wants 95 dollars to see why."

Great car

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"Good, solid, reliable performance. Great highway fuel mileage. Has a steering clunk upon start up that the dealer never seems to hear. I would buy another S60 in a minute."

Very good commuter care

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"I have over 100,000 miles on my 2004 volvo and have had 0 problems...Great commuter car."

good safe car

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Very nice and roomy interior. Most comfortable seats I have ever been in. Smooth ride. Handling and acceleration are not what I wanted in a Euro sedan. 1 odd quirk mine will not start if low on gas and parked on even the slightest incline."

A nice car to have

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I am sure the new models are better, but for 02 S60, I can say it makes you feel you are driving a real car. It is tough and sticks to the road. But, it is not made for speeding obviously. not because its performance is not enough, but because its design is not good enough for high speeds , especially when taking relatively sharp turns. default sound system is way above the average. And, it is a stylish car inside and outside. Its maintenance is relatively cheap when compared to Japanese cars, that is an important plus I guess. But, Volvo's durability is a little below the Japanese cars' durabilities."

Love this car

By on Sunday, May 10, 2015

"We purchased this car as a certified used car and have never regretted it. It has gone through two teenagers and both now 20 something's still love it. The all wheel drive is great had very few mechanical problems.. Interior is still beautiful."

Great highway/trip vehical -great sears

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "very comfortable for long trip and good gas milage"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

"Good looking car and very comfortable for long trips or commuting. Very safe. But expensive to repair. I have enjoyed driving this car. Gas mileage is much better than expected."

10 great years with minimal repairs

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Value... 10 yrs 190k!!! Comortable"

Cons: "Space (I Should have gotten the wagon)"

"Comfort and over all perf. has been great. Long winter commutes to Boston"

Decent car if well maintained

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cons: "no MP3 hook up. Back windows roll down half way"

"This car has next-to-no horse power and is heavy so getting up to freeway speed takes longer than most on-ramps. But the interior is very comfortable and the whole car is pretty stylish. It received top safety ratings the year it was released but has pretty bad blind spots. Handling is decent mostly because of the car's heavy weight. If you're looking into a S60... get a turbo! It's to heavy if it's not. I love my Volvo but it would be much much better if it was a turbo"

Not fancy, but is everything you need

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage, reliable, drives well"

Cons: "Small and dated interior"

"The Cons: The interior is not impressive, with the buttons, dash, etc. looking like they are from the late 90's even though its a 2002 model. I do sometimes get odd noises, but I had two separate mechanics give it a complete look-over when I bought it and fixed the couple of suggestions they had (brake/belt replacement, some fluid replacement). The interior is also fairly small (my child's car seat won't fit, but we have a different car we just always use when we need to go somewhere with him). The Pros: The car has over 112,000 miles on it and is still running strong. Good acceleration for not even having a turbo engine, likely due to the car's lightness and solid engineering. The best part would have to be the mileage, it has an 18 gallon tank and I almost always get upwards of 500 miles on a tank. If you are on the road a lot, this is a great car to have. There are a lot of Volvos out there with upwards of 150k or 200k miles on them."

One of best cars I ever had!!!

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

"I bought this car 4 years ago with 55,000 miles on it. Never had any problems. It is a red color with turbo and looks like almost new one. Very good ride and with a lot of confidence. Also it is very fast and powerfull. My wife likes it a lot and for this reason we are thinking to buy the newest 2012 model of S60. Have you seen it? It is very, very unik and preety car."

Comfort, reliability, and safety

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

"This is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I love the seats. The turbo is a real kick. There is a small delay. As it winds up but then you go."