2004 Volvo S60

8.3

Based on 351 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Great Reliable Car

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Great long lasting car"

"Love this car, Ive owned many cars (Toyota, Dodge, Ford, Mazda) and this is by far the best one. You get more for your money and they last forever with proper maintenance. Plus i get great gas mileage(32 ) Very Comfortable and smooth ride."

best car i have ever owned

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "comfortable, safe, fast"

Cons: "brake/daytime/signal lights burn out frequently"

"My 2002 Volvo S60 T5 is the most dependable car I have ever owned. It just keeps going with only regular maintenance. There is nothing more comfortable than a Volvo front seat. It just ergonomically fits my body perfectly. The turbo acceleration is excellent. It has every option one could want: Heated seats, cruise and radio controls in the steering wheel, rear headrests that flip down at the touch of a button to enable you to see the road better. I could go on and on, but I highly recommend this great vehicle"

Loved this car - sorry to give it up

By on Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"But it's now 10 years old and I'm ready for new wheels. My sister works for a car magazine and recommended this car to me 10 years ago and she was right all around. The driver's seat is extremely comfortable and supportive; car has plenty of power and is fun to drive; it's had relatively few maintenance issues over the years; and it's pleasing to look at. My biggest beefs about it are (1) turning radius is excessive - my boyfriend's Yukon turns in a tighter circle than the S-60; and (2) the map pockets are a joke - I've had several maps just fall out over the years and become lost. All that said, now that I'm in a market for a new vehicle, I'm looking at buying me a new S-60, along with a few others."

too many repairs

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

"This car has a great ride and is good in the snow. However, when under warranty several items needed to be replaced such as module for engine and alarm module. I would not have expected these repairs with less than 50K in mileage. This year alone I have spent 4K in repairs. Seems the previous cars I had, a Toyota and Honda, were more reliable."

Better off keeping it

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "reliability, safety"

Cons: "repairs can be expensive"

"The trade-in value for my car is about $4,000. That's a joke, as I've seen Honda Civics go for more because kids like them. I am better off keeping it as a second car. It should last another 60k with moderate use. And my survival rate in a crash is best-in-industry."

Sweet

By on Friday, March 26, 2010

"I am in love with my S60 2.5 T! While it is almost too much car for me (woman,) I have grown comfortale with its power and acceleration. My interior is exceptional, with wood grain console and steering wheel, which I recognized to be custom features. The stabalization and wet weather control, make me feel that my children are safe in all road conditions. Volvo does think of everything, my car is roomy, comfortable, and elegant. My only complaints are with the turning ratio, and a serious blind spot on the driver's side. I would definately purchase another Volvo. My 2005 with 32,000 miles, is well maintained, and looks like new."

My Experience

By on Sunday, November 2, 2008

"I have driven the S60 since 2001 and put 85,000 miles on it. This is a very nice and comfortable car, however I have had some serious trouble with the transmission. Other than the faulty transmission there have also been some frequently occuring issues which really are more of an annoyance than anything else. The service light comes on every couple of months, and I've had a number of "bulbs" burn out since I've had it. In addition the gas cap fell off, although it may have been vandalized... I'm not sure. The value of the car has depreciated quickly and is no longer really worth the high cost of maintenance. Great car while it is under warranty (5yrs). After that be prepared to get something else."

Superfast

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"I purchased my 2004 S60 R with 28K and have driven it for three years. This car is a rocket! With 300 horsepower, active chasis controls and fantastic comfort, this is my dream car. The best is when I am on the freeway and somebody is tailgating me--just a quick punch of the gas and they shrink out of site in my rear view mirror. The only match for the R sedan was the R station wagon. I met one late at night with no cars and as he tried to pass I pegged the peddal to the floor - we were locked at the same acelleration to 130mph -- wow that was a rush. With a nod - I think we both enjoyed being Volvo owners that night."

Worst Volvo Ever

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"After 3 Volvo cars I loved (one 740T for 300k miles in 16yrs w/no repairs) this one turned me off for good. Bad brakes, bad transmission, bad front suspension, bad turning radius, bad front wheel drive, cheap PAINTED(???) plastic interior. Enough for me."

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"I have 110k miles on my 2001 s60 T5, I must say that I am very impressed with this car. Other than a couple of minor problems in the first year of ownership it has been trouble free. I average around 24 mpg on the highway doing 80 mph. It is comfortabe to drive I love the seats."

Love my Volvo

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"Everyone who has read any review knows that the turning radius is terrible, and it is. I believe its due to the width of the body and the way that the front is built (for safety), who knows. You learn to live with it. Aside from that, the interior is very luxurious. Leather and finishing is comparable to Mercedes. Seats are far more comfortable than any competitor and the safety features blow everyone else out of the water. You can tell that this car is very heavy when driving, but it moves surprisingly fast. I have to non-turbo and it is faster than my Jaguar X-Type with a bigger engine. You get much more for your money with this care than the other Euro sedans. Styling is classic and ride is quiet. Little rougher than I would expect, but you can't have everything. Gas mileage is not as good as claimed in city, but highway is far above. Plan to buy another Volvo when its time."

A nice car to have

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I am sure the new models are better, but for 02 S60, I can say it makes you feel you are driving a real car. It is tough and sticks to the road. But, it is not made for speeding obviously. not because its performance is not enough, but because its design is not good enough for high speeds , especially when taking relatively sharp turns. default sound system is way above the average. And, it is a stylish car inside and outside. Its maintenance is relatively cheap when compared to Japanese cars, that is an important plus I guess. But, Volvo's durability is a little below the Japanese cars' durabilities."

Family sedan with the heart of a performance GT

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "fast, luxurious, confidence inspiring, handsome"

Cons: "European reliability and maintenance costs"

"I've owned this car for eight years. It's fast, smooth, and confidence inspiring in both dry and wet (has AWD). Pushes at the limit, but the limits are very high and not something you will encounter on the street. The adjustable suspension works and has very distinct character between the settings. Downside: replacing the front shocks will run you $1k installed. Engine torque from 1,500 to 5,000 rpm rivals a small V8 and is especially deep at freeway speeds. Just press and pull away from most anything. Brembo brakes at all four corners are incredible. Solid, short stops, pads wear forever because they are, literally, the pads used on the 1st gen Dodge Viper. Can get squeal sometimes, though, because they are high-performance pads. Reliability of the car is just okay. Some expensive and/or unexpected parts have been replaced under warranty, such as the sunroof and sunroof motor, failed headlight (would have cost $1,100), radiator, power steering reservoir. And several of the rubber suspension bushings and engine mounts have been replaced, sometimes more than once. Those are obviously under-engineered, since all I do is drive this normally on the street, and have put just 54,000 miles on it in 8 years. Yet I've replaced the front control arm bushings twice. As a friend said, it's European and has higher maintenance. That has been my only disappointment."

no complaints about this vehicle.

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

"If you don't have kids this is the best vehicle in its class comfort, power, reliablity excellent."

Great in Winter, fun to drive, peppy, Safe

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Great for winter, great 'get-up-and-go!'"

Cons: "Cost of repairs"

"My wife loves this car, everyone who drives it can't believe the power it has. Great for passing. Unbeatable in the snow, better than my 4x4 truck! We get 29-30 mpg on the highway at 72 mph."

Luxurious safety and sports car feel

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Safety and comfort"

Cons: "Costly maintenance and service"

"Sounds silly but, this car became part of our family. As a protective father and husband this vehicle fit the safety standards that made me feel at ease. It drives like a sports car but also handles well in the worst weather conditions. It is just as luxurious from home to the grocery store as it is to a trip from the city to the country. Back seat gets kind of small with two infant car seats. Service and maintenance are a bit spendy, but are worth the investment. Volvo standards for safety and comfort exceed that of most luxury family sedans. You can't go wrong with this vehicle."

Love the mountains !

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Hugs the road,very responsive"

Cons: "Blind spots have given several 'close calls'."

"I bought this car new and lived in a beach town, very classy looking car. Moved to the mountains over two years ago and this car was 'made' for these roads. It is stable in the curves and just fun to drive. I LOVE this car!"

Batmobile

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"I have had this vehicle over 2 years. I love the automatic manual transmission. It comes in really handy in the snowy weather. Fun to drive and handles well in the Boston traffic. I am 6'5" tall and fit very comfortably in the car. Take car of the car and it will take care of you."

safest car every

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"i had this car for a while and it is very comfortable to drive and easy to handle. it has everything. moonroof. memory seats, everything. i don't really understand why this car is fo cheap. really good on gas. heated seats. everything is good about this car. i had a customer who bought it from me who previously had volvo and had accident. she said she wants only volvo but nothing else since she survived from very big accident. our life is more important than anything else! GO VOLVO"

Very solid vehicle. great value.

By on Sunday, March 20, 2011

"this is a very nice vehicle. the only problem is that i have to change the same tail light about once a month. 2.50$ a month not a big deal. it gets very good gas mileage. it is very peppy and is extremely fast from 65- 100 mph. last week i hydroplaned (because of bald tires)at 70mph and hit a curb and went off the road into a ditch. the tow truck could not get to me without getting stuck. but putting the volvo in low gear it pulled itself out and drove home with no problems. now thats a solid built vehicle. do that with a cadillac or lincoln. Overall a very solid built car no shakes or rattles whatsoever. very smooth ride. deffinitly reccomend this vehicle"

SAFE BUT FAST

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Best car I have ever had. Works great in the snow."

expensive

By on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"105000 miles needs new front end and timing belt has body rust tires rub light bulbs always failing rough ride 2 sets tires in 2 years told this is normal"

Great commuter car

By on Sunday, October 3, 2010

"I purchased this vehicle used in March, 2008 with 104,000 miles for $6900 and have had minimal problems. Currently, it has 148,000 and I am upgrading to a used s80 and passing the s60 on to my teenage daughter. The only problem we have had is the check engine light comes on intermittently. The front seats are very comfortable, but the back seats are a bit cramped for adult passengers."

S60T 2002

By on Friday, October 1, 2010

"I bought this vehicle used at 19.5K miles 4 years ago and currently have 76Kmiles on it. The turbo is great and the comfort of the seats exceptional. I have had to replace the radiator twice but it was covered under warranty both times. Besides the issue with the radiator all I had to do was oil changes for the 1st 3 years.All other repairs have been normal wear and tear. Looking forward to driving to 200K"

great little sedan

By on Thursday, July 8, 2010

"I owned a 2001 S60 2.4T for 7 years. Bought it used w/ 27K miles & the 100K warranty. One of the best cars I've ever owned. Plenty of pick up, plush leather, big trunk, etc. Traded it in at 109K miles for an XC90. Only mechanical problems were a sway bar defect at around 70K and some fuel sensor/injector issue at around 80K, both expensive fixes but covered under the warranty so $0 for me. Dealer was great and I got loaner cars each time. I did perform all the scheduled maint and I have to believe that helped us not have many problems. My ONLY complaint about this car is the small back seat and I have 2 kids so we finally just had to go w/ the bigger XC90, they were getting cramped back there. If you don't use the backseat much it would not be an issue. I truly loved my little S60 and we will miss it."