2004 Volvo S60

8.3

Based on 342 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Double take when you come past this car!

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Easy maintenance, doesn't burn oil, 5 seater"

Cons: "headunit spazzes sometimes"

"Honestly was never a volvo fan until i got handed the keys from my parents hands. Trust me, they have never left them since, coming from a 19 year old this should mean something. This car gives you the ease of driving on a whole new level for its generation. Great suspension, sporty saloon, leather seats with seat warmers for the winter, telescoping steering wheel, the whole 9. When properly maintained with servicing done this machine will run for a while. Ive had it for a year and it hasn't given me any troubles knock on wood. Its a great a to b driver and ideal for long trips. Granted ive ran into minor pitfalls like a cv axle boot ripping and an etm module getting clogged but other than that it has been smooth sailing. If your at a dealership unsure of what to get, try this car."

One of my favorite cars

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "quick, fast responding throttle, handeling is very"

Cons: "consumes a good amount of Premium fuel!!"

"Iv had this car for quite a while now, and as far as used cars go, this one has been very low maintenence. i love the styling both inside and out. This car has saved me... If i didnt have AWD, i may not have this car after last winter!"

solid safe car. expensive to service

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "expensive to service"

"Worth every penny"

Money Pit!!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Had fun driving mountain roads"

Cons: "Money Pit!"

"Always wanted one of these; owned two Volvos previously. Bought one that was a two owner, well maintained vehicle from Volvo dealer. The car lives in the shop and every visit I'm quoted $400-600 for repairs...Brakes, timing belt, HID lights, radiator, throttle body, chassis settings light....everything on this car will break and it's expensive to repair. I'm done!"

Comfy but costly

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "Comfy seats, great gas mileage, awesome OEM stereo"

Cons: "Costly repairs, poor visibility, turbo lag"

"After four years, and 50k miles behind the wheel, and I'm not really feeling the whole "Volvo For Life" mantra, anymore. The engine's made of gold, but the Aisin transmission is a time bomb, and the rest is Ford's cost cutting at it's finest. If you want safe, European practicality, shell out the cash for a newer model, or stick with ze Germans."

worst car we ever owned

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, good mpg"

Cons: "high maintanence"

"10,000$ in repairs in 5 years we've had junkers that where less trouble!!!"

love this car

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

"dependable , handles well"

Best first car I could ask for!

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "Holds value, SAFE, technologically exceeding,"

Cons: "Part pricing"

"I bought my S60 at 132,000 miles in mint condition still for a very good price. I have since put 70,000 miles on it. Volvo's are tanks! I have had to keep up with maintenance such as strut replacement, trans-axle, and starter, but that's about it and for 200,000, its not too shabby. An American car would be in the ground by now!! Also most technological advanced and safest car I've seen for its time!"

Great Car!

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

"Pros - This is one of the most solid feeling, comfortable cars Ive ever driven. Its more comfortable then my old '98 BMW 540i. I bought this car with 67k miles and it just turned 107k. The motor is very quiet. Its not underpowered and pulls like a train at low rpms going uphills due to the low pressure turbo. The gauge layout is simple. Its an understated car for sure. The Police dont even look at me and I drive spirited which is a good thing, its like driving a mini van. Good gas milage for the weight of the car at around 22-24mpg city and 26-28hwy @ 70/75mph. It has fantastic brakes that really grip and stop you fast. My 02 Mustang GT had the worst factory brakes for comparison. The sound system blew me away! Im still looking for a subwoofer hidden in the trunk thats how much bass it puts out without distortion. The AWD system is sure footed in the snow. I was able to back out of a 3ft snow drift during the blizzard of 2012 in Maine, I had winter tires that were about 70% worn so it did very well. I also like the "W" button for Winter mode below the shifter that gently adds power to the tires for taking off from the stop lights during a storm. I feel very safe in this car. Cons- brace yourself I have many ;) The turning radius is terrible in this car! You cant due U-turns. Im a pro at the 3-point turn now because of this car. Its like turning a barge. The heavy steel cage that protects you you also feel in the corners, if you drive it quickly you feel that heavy cage listing the car to and fro. It also pushes the front tires in the snow and ice (understeer) when driving too fast. The A-Pillars (the 2 posts that hold your windshield) create a pretty big blind spot, I find myself trying to look around them often. Also theres a pretty big blind spot in the rear of the car when you're changing lanes and turning your head to see if theres someone there. I broke both front power windows trying to put them down where they were iced over and it cost me $100 each to have them fixed. But on that same token my sister was goofing off trying to unlock my door and i was putting up the window and it pinned her fingers at the top, she didnt scream but said it hurt after I put it back down. haha I had to replace most of the outside bulbs at the 85k mark. I just had the timing belt changed $450 - its a interference motor so you have to change it at 105k or you risk trashing the motor as the pistons will make contact with the valves when/if the belt snaps, or like the mechanic told me its not the belt that goes its the tensioner pully that goes bad and cant hold the proper tension on the belt and it slips off. It doesnt have a change holder! omg! Ive had to change the Mass Air flow sensor - but i suspect thats because i used a cheap Fram paper element rather then spending the $25 for the Volvo air filter. One of the rubber muffler hangers came off. The muffle hanger at the rear rusted and broke off - my mechanic was able to welb it back together. The drivers lower ball joint had to be replaced. But I think these repairs are typical due to Maines harsh winters and pothole ridden roads. In summery - Great car! My mother loved it so much she sold her 2010 Honda CRV and bought a 2012 Volvo S80. You pay a little more but I think its a terrific value. After driving her fwd S80 I noticed the wheels pull when going around block corners. Something I dont feel in the AWD version. Ive been looking at the new S60's and I just cant justify selling this one yet, its that good even at the 108k mark."

I liked it but glad it's gone

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Reason: I felt like the car was aging fast and needed a vehicle with more space

"I think this may be useful to anyone considering buying a used Volvo S60. I had my 2005 Volvo S60 2.5t for 5 years and put 63k. I liked the car, it had character and the aesthetics were great but there was always an underlying level of cheapness. I'll start with the plus points: Style, comfort, sporty nature, good climate control, good in the snow, would cool down quickly in the summer and never experienced a heat blast when opening the doors despite being black w black leather. I'm very easy on my cars so they don't age much from when they are bought. But at 30K the front wheels started squeaking and making clicking noises when going around corners. The drivers side started first then it was the passengers side. At 40k I needed the drivers side stabilizer replaced, paint started peeling from the rear window panel, headlights got misty at 40k, by 43k both headland washer jets stopped working, center armrest started showing signs of wear at 35k, by the time I sold it engine performance was more sluggish, needed coolant top offs, at 50k the cabin fan motor started to make strange noises, all rotors needed to be replaced at 45k but the front ones needed to be turned and shortly afterwards...at 48k the check engine light came on but only Volvo could run diagnostics and they couldn't give me a straight answer, the rear passenger door plastic started to peel away from the panel because my dog leaned against it, there's more. In short I started to question the vehicle's quality. I lost confidence after driving or riding in a few Camry's and Accords (with more miles). They are just as safe as my old Volvo but behind the wheel made the latter seem archaic and question what I paid for. It wasn't just my car I noticed this but with other Volvos. A friend has a 90's 240 and despite age, it's apparent this was a much better built vehicle. The're's no way my car will run or look as good at that age. Eventually, I started looking around for a new vehicle. What I bought was a total surprise, a used 2005 BMW X5 with 80k. The difference between BMW and Volvo is seismic. The SUV sprints & handles much, much better, the build quality and interior materials are heaps superior, the electronics run perfectly and more, all from a vehicle with more miles. I'm not trying to sell BMW but I no longer feel like I'm being fooled. So my point this. I liked the S60, I would recommend it only to people who are not picky about quality, want a premium brand, the car is OK and it's nice. But after driving a few good quality vehicles from different price points like an Accord, Camry, X5, 3 series, a 90's Volvo it was very clear my S60 was not of the same caliber. I hope this is useful."

See if you qualify for