2003 Volvo S60

8.3

Based on 351 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

expensive repairs

By on Friday, February 26, 2010

"I have had my 2003 Volvo S60 for over two years and it has been a bittersweet purchase. I have spent about $2500 in repairs so far. I bought it because Volvo has the safest cars in the world, and also I liked the style. It is cute and has a lot of power. BUT--the turning radius is an absolute DISGRACE. I can turn a tighter circle in my husband's pick up truck! Also has very poor visibility. There are no cheap parts or shortcuts in repairs..they are always expensive, although my local (trusted) mechanic was about 1/2 the price. Had to replace the front axles, a bunch of bushings, bearings, some fuel regulator, and tires--which were $250 a piece on sale because it has racing tires, and there are no cheaper ones. Leather is cracking and does not look good. Mileage is less than I expected: averages about 25 mpg. Nice dash, and sensors alert you if lights go out or if there is another problem. Position lights--(clusters of little bulbs int he tail light assembly) go out often and have to be replaced."

Another great Volvo

By on Friday, December 26, 2008

"My 3rd Volvo since 1987, and my first brand-new any car purchase ever. I will probably drive it until it dies like I did my other Volvos. I always go for the base models, or as close to base as I can get. This one, a 2003 S60, is a base model i.e. 5-speed manual trans, no turbo, no sunroof, cloth seats, and all the usual standard goodies pertinent to this model year S60. I knocked off a star for performance -- it has plenty of performance for me, but given the current consumer demand for performance, I feel that others might not consider this to be a 5-star performer. And while I really don't care about style, I like Volvo's departure from the earlier "boxy" style body designs. So four stars for effort in the style/design department. I'm drooling over the C70 convertible..."

Still Great

By on Monday, December 8, 2008

"Even after 80,000 miles, this car is still fun to drive. In hindsight, I would have preferred the AWD version, but the FWD is plenty capable. The turbo is a must-have. I still get a kick out of zipping up the freeway on-ramp and having the ability to pass anything I want to at speed. The interior is very comfortable and roomy…as long as you’re in the front seat. The seats are very accommodating for long drives and those tight corners. This car has been pretty reliable and it’s a good thing too! Volvo repairs and maintenance come at a premium price, though I’ve not had to deal with too many. The rear visibility is shockingly poor, so I’m not surprised to hear the newer versions have sensors to make up for it. My only real complaint with the reliability of the car is my transmission, which takes an awkwardly long time to shift into gear from park and also likes to wander a bit when looking for the appropriate gear when driving. However, that doesn’t happen often so I’m overall very pleased with the car. I would recommend it to anyone."

Repairs are too much

By on Thursday, December 4, 2008

"2004 S60. I have had many small parts to break, gas door, hinge on truck. Now I have to replace the transmission. In all my years, my family nor myself have had to replace a transmission. Granted I have 96K miles but the car has been maintained."

Not car seat friendly BUT still a great car!

By on Sunday, September 21, 2008

"This is NOT a family car, especially if you have kids in car seats. I found out a little too late, but fortunately my youngest one is out of the booster seat now. The back seat is not car seat friendly. The turning radius is long but thats because of the way the car is made for. Not a lot of bells and whistles but the gas mileage is very good, acceleration is great, and very comfortable to ride in. Stability is excellent; have been in some situations where this car has lived up to its performance. Overall love the car! Hope this info helps!"

lots of repairs

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Within 2 yrs of owning the car I had replaced the entire engine (factory defect) , the brakes (several times due to squealing), the oil pan sensor, the gas cap door (twice), and the center drink holder. It's made a backfire noise shifting from 2nd to third since the day I've owned and the head mechanic insists that's normal because it sounds cool. (Seriously.) I've gone thru 3 sets of tires in 4 years. The front spoiler catches every parking block or dip at the end of a driveway no matter how slowly I drive. And now the stereo knobs are acting up. I wish I were making this stuff up."

nice looks and power, but...

By on Sunday, June 8, 2008

"numersous mechanical issues in the 2 years I have owned, it's reather noisy as if road noise was an afterthought. Handling is only so so, but the power is pretty good, only a little hesitant when the stability control is on, which is a hinderance to everyday driving. I like the styling and the seats are plush and comfy. Problems we've had include rocker arms/struts that were costly to replace, brakes that rattle when brake life gets low, and oil pan gaskets that required removal of engine to change out."

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"I purchased a 2001 S60 2.4T in 2004 and have been thrilled with the car. At 6+ years old it runs like new and still looks great. I plan to hold onto this car for several more years."

The best sports car going

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"I have 25000 miles and no problems. I have had it up to 145 MPH and all I can say is sweet. You can ride like a Caddy or a Firebird or a Vet all at your finger tip. It has great body styling and it looks like any other nice car but when you punch it away you go. This is a fast car and handles very well on mountain roads. Other cars are coming out with thing the Volvo had years ago."

Got's to go....

By on Friday, December 21, 2007

"Car is very spirited in comfort mode. Switch to advanced mode and it becomes a demon. Love my R. To bad they stopped making them."

Think Twice

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"I've owned my first Volvo S60 T5 for 4 years, put on 80K miles and decided I'll probabvly never get another one. While solidly built, extremely comfortable and crammed with luxury features, it requires constant, expensive repairs. Even (used) at 24k miles, it needed to have the engine/transmission pulled for a leaking seal repair. Engine mounts have cracked; instrumentation, switches and headlight sockets have failed; front suspension has needed extensive repairs. I drive mostly freeway too. I'm used to Hondas which rarely have anything go wrong with them."

Good car, will buy another Volvo

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"Bought this car used a few months back. Have no issues, except the turning radius, and the check engine light is on and Volvo dealership wants 95 dollars to see why."

Great car

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"Good, solid, reliable performance. Great highway fuel mileage. Has a steering clunk upon start up that the dealer never seems to hear. I would buy another S60 in a minute."

Very good commuter care

By on Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"I have over 100,000 miles on my 2004 volvo and have had 0 problems...Great commuter car."

good safe car

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Very nice and roomy interior. Most comfortable seats I have ever been in. Smooth ride. Handling and acceleration are not what I wanted in a Euro sedan. 1 odd quirk mine will not start if low on gas and parked on even the slightest incline."

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"What I like best about the 60R is you can drive it in a normal fashion with comfort, or switch it to advanced and really drive when you feel like it. Most "sports" cars are too firm for every day family driving. Still look forward to it after over almost 3 years. Only down side is that little stuff is starting to break and repairs are costly."

Dont Bother

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"I has this car for 4 years as a lease. I had the S60 AWD. The steering and cornering was horrible. After 60,000 miles everything starts to let go and very expensive to repair. It was however, great in the snow and comfortable. But for the money, I expected much more."

best vehicle ever

By on Thursday, June 2, 2016

Pros: "fun to drive"

"I've had this car for 15 years. I love the stick shift. It is such a FUN car to drive. I've kept it up with it's regular appointments and have never had a difficult problem other than usual wear and tear."

Great highway/trip vehical -great sears

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "very comfortable for long trip and good gas milage"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

"Good looking car and very comfortable for long trips or commuting. Very safe. But expensive to repair. I have enjoyed driving this car. Gas mileage is much better than expected."

10 great years with minimal repairs

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pros: "Value... 10 yrs 190k!!! Comortable"

Cons: "Space (I Should have gotten the wagon)"

"Comfort and over all perf. has been great. Long winter commutes to Boston"

Decent car if well maintained

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cons: "no MP3 hook up. Back windows roll down half way"

"This car has next-to-no horse power and is heavy so getting up to freeway speed takes longer than most on-ramps. But the interior is very comfortable and the whole car is pretty stylish. It received top safety ratings the year it was released but has pretty bad blind spots. Handling is decent mostly because of the car's heavy weight. If you're looking into a S60... get a turbo! It's to heavy if it's not. I love my Volvo but it would be much much better if it was a turbo"

Not fancy, but is everything you need

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage, reliable, drives well"

Cons: "Small and dated interior"

"The Cons: The interior is not impressive, with the buttons, dash, etc. looking like they are from the late 90's even though its a 2002 model. I do sometimes get odd noises, but I had two separate mechanics give it a complete look-over when I bought it and fixed the couple of suggestions they had (brake/belt replacement, some fluid replacement). The interior is also fairly small (my child's car seat won't fit, but we have a different car we just always use when we need to go somewhere with him). The Pros: The car has over 112,000 miles on it and is still running strong. Good acceleration for not even having a turbo engine, likely due to the car's lightness and solid engineering. The best part would have to be the mileage, it has an 18 gallon tank and I almost always get upwards of 500 miles on a tank. If you are on the road a lot, this is a great car to have. There are a lot of Volvos out there with upwards of 150k or 200k miles on them."

One of best cars I ever had!!!

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

"I bought this car 4 years ago with 55,000 miles on it. Never had any problems. It is a red color with turbo and looks like almost new one. Very good ride and with a lot of confidence. Also it is very fast and powerfull. My wife likes it a lot and for this reason we are thinking to buy the newest 2012 model of S60. Have you seen it? It is very, very unik and preety car."

Comfort, reliability, and safety

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

"This is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I love the seats. The turbo is a real kick. There is a small delay. As it winds up but then you go."

This vehichle is very reliable and comfortable!

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

"I loved this vehichle! It has leather seating and powerlock windows and doors!"