2003 Volvo S60

8.3

Based on 349 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Good car

By on Sunday, September 07, 2008

"Considering selling my S60 and figured I would write a review since I tend to read them when looking for a car myself. The S60 is considered the best car in the Volvo fleet for reliability and my service tech agreed. Judging by my history with this car, its seems to be right on. I have only had one major issue being the radiator being replaced at 62k, the rest just maintenence, i.e. brakes, tires, lights...and more lights. Yes, the headlamps go out very often but are easy to replace. Repairs will be very costly if done at dealership, and cheaper but still pricey at an Indy since OEM Volvo parts are very expensive. With the good reliability however, these costs are kept at bay. Gas mileage averages 25mpg on my car at a 33mph avg speed so the highway/city spread is probably 29/21. Car has about a 400-420mile range per tank which is nice. Stock sound system is not great so worth upgrading. Seats are very comfortable. If grading on a scale of 1-100 I would give this car a 90. Not quite an A since for a turbo the performance is lacking the mid range torque that a Saab has, and when something goes wrong, your wallet gets dinged good otherwise very nice car for the money"

Very reliable, safe, and comfortable car.

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "reliability, comfort, driving stability, safe"

Cons: "limited legroom in back seat"

"This is one of the best cars I have owned, and is my second S60. My first went 269,000 miles with just routine maintenance and was running beautifully until my son totaled it. The S60 is very well designed and drives and handles very well, especially in snowy or wet conditions. It is very stable on the road and extremely comfortable, making it an ideal everyday driver and great for long trips. I average 26 - 27 mpg overall and get as much as 30 mpg on long trips. The only negative thing I can say about this car is that the legroom in the back seat is limited."

Great Used car for teenagers.

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Safety, good in snow, and fun to drive."

Cons: "Not much legroom in the back seats for tall people"

"My family has owned Volvos since the early 70's. A 240 wagon my brother rolled and survived, to a'96 850 wagon that just won't quit, to the most recent purchase '02 s60 turbo for teenager. We have had great luck with both the safety and mechanical of Volvos. The s60 is no exception."

The most underrated Luxury/Performance car ever!

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "See my complete review"

Cons: "See my complete review"

"Pro's: 300 HP, Brembo Brakes, AWD (upgraded for 2005), Volvo safety systems, Premium sound (none better), Volvo orthopedic seating, Tilt steering wheel that is telescopic too!, 0-60 in 5.7 Seconds (you can spend a whole lot more and go just a little bit faster), HID headlamps. Though there are a lot more pro's, I'd say finally "Volvo reliability" Con's: The premium sound system has no way of playing mp3's (you have to convert your mp3's to audio files and burn them on a CD-R disk), pay attention to having your brakes looked at every 3 months or so (you don't want to wear out the pads, cause fixing Brembo brakes is pricy), if you need to buy tires and you rarely go above 90mph go with the less expensive tires instead of tires rated for 150mph. All in all, one of the most underrated luxury/performance cars of all time. This light weight midsized sedan, with 300hp will blow the doors off of Mustang GT's, BMW's and mostly any car out there. Yeah some will beat you by a second or so. But they spent all their money on their car. The Volvo S60R is a sleeper, no one knows what you have. P.S. If you're going to open this baby up on the freeway, buy a radar/laser detector."

Great vehicle - even 10 years later

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pros: "Styling, Great Highway car, Affordable, SAFE"

Cons: "Turn radius, Dealership Maintenance costs"

"Volvo has a great style, inside and out. Even 10 years later, people comment on style, condition, and how well it is aging. My only complaint with this car is that it has a horrible turn radius. It's like Volvo paid close attention to all details, delivered an excellent car, but forgot that turn-radius is important. Looking for a new car, but cannot find a car with the styling, capability, or price that comes close to my 2003 Volvo. With only 76,000 miles after 10-years, I anticipate many more years before I buy something new."