2002 Volvo S60

8.3

Based on 345 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Safe as a tank but

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Very safe car to drive."

Cons: "Turning radius, front tires rub wheel well"

"I feel extremely safe in this car. The downside is the turning radius, you can't make a tight turn as with all other cars. Also, the front tires rub the wheel well in a tight turn. This is a known defect and there is no cure unless you want to go to a big expense and go to a smaller tire and rim. Other than that, this is a fun car to drive. It has great get up and go, good handling and comfortable."

Volvo = safe and reliable yet sophisticated

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Most people don't realize the quality of Volvo"

Cons: "Finding a replacement as reliable or comfortable"

"Enough said!"

love it, bought it used 3 years ago, no problems!

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

"It is comfortable, fun to drive, best car value I have ever had. thought about getting an XC90 but they are not rated very well. Going with BMW next time"

I love this car!

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "Great price, quality, handling, superior safety"

Cons: "costly repairs"

Beautiful!

"I have to say that I am saddened to write this review, yet I want to express the faith I have in the Volvo's quality, design, and overall SAFETY. I was just in a head on collision in my S60 R two days ago with my 13 yr old and my 2 1/2 yr old. The damage was isolated to the front of the vehicle and kept away from the passengers and myself. We all walked away unscaved. In comparison the wreck looked minor when looking at my vehicle. On ther hand, the other vehicle (Dodge Intrepid) looked like it hit a wall at 70 MPH. All safety features on the Volvo, ABS, Traction Control, and SRS worked as it should have. Prior to the wreck, overall, the vehicle responded when I wanted it to and with pep on top. This vehicle combined a family sedan with a sports car...everything I could want and need. As for shortcomings, if anything goes wrong or needs replacing, the cost can leave a bad taste but as long as you maintain good care, all costs are minimal. I highly recommend the car and look to find another, maybe a few years newer, if my insurance decides to total the vehicle out."

Beautiful!

Fantastic

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "Great value, intelligent design."

Cons: "Turning radius."

"This is a fantastic vehicle and a wonderful ride. This vehicle has been mine ever since I got my license. Wonderful in the snow and very limited issues with mantainence. Has not failed me yet and I do expect to drive this vehicle for even longer. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who looks for quality and reliablity."

10 great years with minimal repairs

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Value... 10 yrs 190k!!! Comortable"

Cons: "Space (I Should have gotten the wagon)"

"Comfort and over all perf. has been great. Long winter commutes to Boston"

Steering

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "Comfy, good looking, great interior"

Cons: "Turning Radius, Gas Mileage, Backroom leg space"

"I LOVE my S60. I still to this day have not sat in a car in its class as comfy as mine. The seats have more cushion than any other, I tend to drive every where b/c I like my comfy seats the best. The downfault with this car is 2 things- The steering radius and the gas mileage. I have the Turbo so I only get about 16-18 mpg on average, horrible for a mid size car. The steering also has a VERY wide turning radius. Make it very hard to do U-turns..."

Decent car if well maintained

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cons: "no MP3 hook up. Back windows roll down half way"

"This car has next-to-no horse power and is heavy so getting up to freeway speed takes longer than most on-ramps. But the interior is very comfortable and the whole car is pretty stylish. It received top safety ratings the year it was released but has pretty bad blind spots. Handling is decent mostly because of the car's heavy weight. If you're looking into a S60... get a turbo! It's to heavy if it's not. I love my Volvo but it would be much much better if it was a turbo"

Great daily commuter

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Solid, goes fast, handles great."

Cons: "Chews through tires, low front, expensive to repai"

2005 s60 R 300 hp all wheel drive

"I've had this car for 5 years and it handles like a charm. The adjustable suspension settings really make a difference and the all wheel drive is really noticeable while cornering in bad weather conditions including snow."

2005 s60 R 300 hp all wheel drive

best car i have ever owned

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "comfortable, safe, fast"

Cons: "brake/daytime/signal lights burn out frequently"

"My 2002 Volvo S60 T5 is the most dependable car I have ever owned. It just keeps going with only regular maintenance. There is nothing more comfortable than a Volvo front seat. It just ergonomically fits my body perfectly. The turbo acceleration is excellent. It has every option one could want: Heated seats, cruise and radio controls in the steering wheel, rear headrests that flip down at the touch of a button to enable you to see the road better. I could go on and on, but I highly recommend this great vehicle"

Not fancy, but is everything you need

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage, reliable, drives well"

Cons: "Small and dated interior"

"The Cons: The interior is not impressive, with the buttons, dash, etc. looking like they are from the late 90's even though its a 2002 model. I do sometimes get odd noises, but I had two separate mechanics give it a complete look-over when I bought it and fixed the couple of suggestions they had (brake/belt replacement, some fluid replacement). The interior is also fairly small (my child's car seat won't fit, but we have a different car we just always use when we need to go somewhere with him). The Pros: The car has over 112,000 miles on it and is still running strong. Good acceleration for not even having a turbo engine, likely due to the car's lightness and solid engineering. The best part would have to be the mileage, it has an 18 gallon tank and I almost always get upwards of 500 miles on a tank. If you are on the road a lot, this is a great car to have. There are a lot of Volvos out there with upwards of 150k or 200k miles on them."

Love the mountains !

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Hugs the road,very responsive"

Cons: "Blind spots have given several 'close calls'."

"I bought this car new and lived in a beach town, very classy looking car. Moved to the mountains over two years ago and this car was 'made' for these roads. It is stable in the curves and just fun to drive. I LOVE this car!"

One of best cars I ever had!!!

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

"I bought this car 4 years ago with 55,000 miles on it. Never had any problems. It is a red color with turbo and looks like almost new one. Very good ride and with a lot of confidence. Also it is very fast and powerfull. My wife likes it a lot and for this reason we are thinking to buy the newest 2012 model of S60. Have you seen it? It is very, very unik and preety car."

The most underrated Luxury/Performance car ever!

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "See my complete review"

Cons: "See my complete review"

"Pro's: 300 HP, Brembo Brakes, AWD (upgraded for 2005), Volvo safety systems, Premium sound (none better), Volvo orthopedic seating, Tilt steering wheel that is telescopic too!, 0-60 in 5.7 Seconds (you can spend a whole lot more and go just a little bit faster), HID headlamps. Though there are a lot more pro's, I'd say finally "Volvo reliability" Con's: The premium sound system has no way of playing mp3's (you have to convert your mp3's to audio files and burn them on a CD-R disk), pay attention to having your brakes looked at every 3 months or so (you don't want to wear out the pads, cause fixing Brembo brakes is pricy), if you need to buy tires and you rarely go above 90mph go with the less expensive tires instead of tires rated for 150mph. All in all, one of the most underrated luxury/performance cars of all time. This light weight midsized sedan, with 300hp will blow the doors off of Mustang GT's, BMW's and mostly any car out there. Yeah some will beat you by a second or so. But they spent all their money on their car. The Volvo S60R is a sleeper, no one knows what you have. P.S. If you're going to open this baby up on the freeway, buy a radar/laser detector."

Loved this car - sorry to give it up

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

"But it's now 10 years old and I'm ready for new wheels. My sister works for a car magazine and recommended this car to me 10 years ago and she was right all around. The driver's seat is extremely comfortable and supportive; car has plenty of power and is fun to drive; it's had relatively few maintenance issues over the years; and it's pleasing to look at. My biggest beefs about it are (1) turning radius is excessive - my boyfriend's Yukon turns in a tighter circle than the S-60; and (2) the map pockets are a joke - I've had several maps just fall out over the years and become lost. All that said, now that I'm in a market for a new vehicle, I'm looking at buying me a new S-60, along with a few others."

too many repairs

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

"This car has a great ride and is good in the snow. However, when under warranty several items needed to be replaced such as module for engine and alarm module. I would not have expected these repairs with less than 50K in mileage. This year alone I have spent 4K in repairs. Seems the previous cars I had, a Toyota and Honda, were more reliable."

Sorry I bought this car

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Very comfortable to ride in"

Cons: "Keeps on breaking down"

"I purchased this car with the intent of it lasting for 10 years. Volvo has a great reputation for cars that last. Wrong! First it was the O2 sensors that went out. Then all the spark plugs had to be replaced within the first 3 years of ownership. The brakes had to be replaced at 30,000 miles. The front end has worn out and has had to be replaced and now the tranmission is going out. Oh yeah, don't forget the computer chip that went out 1 1/2 years ago. On average I dump about $1000/year on repairs. This does not include usual maintenance. I have kept this car well maintained yet it still breaks down on a regular basis. I will never buy another Volvo. Very, very disappointing. The only good thing about it is for me, the seats are very comfortable."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "well worth the price, safe, reliable"

Cons: "lousy turning radius (that's all!)"

"This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The only problems I've had were little cosmetic things, everything mechanical works as good as the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. It has a great, solid feel that speaks to its safety ratings. If you take care to have it serviced as recommended, these cars really will last forever. I plan to hand mine down to one of the kids, and buy the XC90 next."

Comfort, reliability, and safety

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

"This is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I love the seats. The turbo is a real kick. There is a small delay. As it winds up but then you go."

Better off keeping it

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "reliability, safety"

Cons: "repairs can be expensive"

"The trade-in value for my car is about $4,000. That's a joke, as I've seen Honda Civics go for more because kids like them. I am better off keeping it as a second car. It should last another 60k with moderate use. And my survival rate in a crash is best-in-industry."

This vehichle is very reliable and comfortable!

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

"I loved this vehichle! It has leather seating and powerlock windows and doors!"

I WANTED To Love This Car

By on Monday, October 10, 2011

Reason: Too many repairs

Pros: "Great gas mileage, good looks, comfortable ride"

Cons: "Constant Repairs, Poor fit and finish"

"I had heard such good things about the S60 before I bought my car. I got a T5 which provided great power, performance and ride all while getting good gas mileage. My issues with my Volvo was a lack of fit and finish. There were too many rattles and whines. Plastic parts (especially in the trunk) fell apart constantly. The car was also not built to handle tough Vermont roads. I replaced tie rods and control arms on a semi yearly basis. I am not a hard driver, but any bump seemed to cost a thousand dollars in repairs. At one point, the electronics behind the radio overheated and melted two of the buttons on the radio! It was almost a comedy of errors with this car. The final straw was the malfunction of the security system which would disable the starter. I spent over $3000 trying to fix this issue which popped up at random times and could never be fixed completely. The car would simply not start at a message would appear stating the vehicle was imobolized. There was no rhyme or reason to this issue. At times It would last minutes, other times hours and days. Google "Volvo vehicle immobolized" and you'll get an idea how common this issue can be. After reading other reviews for this car, mabye I simply had a lemmon. All I can say is do your homework before buying the S60."

88,000 MILES AND NOT ONE REPAIR

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "Very comfortable, looks great, drives well"

Cons: "turning radius is very wide"

"I purchased this car new in 2005 and have maintained it well and I have not had one repair! I have the itch to purchase new car but feel I would be stupid to get a new one. The style hasn't changed much so no one really can tell how old it is. The paint still looks new. The only thing I had to do was buff out the fogged headlights. The interior also looks new. I clean and condition the leather every 4 months or so and it looks great. I highly recommend this car for anyone looking for a safe and luxurious car."

The most miles I have ever put on a car

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

"I got this car as an overseas delivery and I really enjoyed it. It was a dependable car. However, the backseat was not large enough for my little one to grow."

Best car- great safety - pure pleasure to drive

By on Friday, August 12, 2011

Pros: "comfort, fun to drive, safety, giant trunk, great handling"

Cons: "not much storage in main cabin , turning radius"

this is all the damage i had after a 45 mph head on crash....the car i hit...the entire front end was crushed and pushed back 3 feet into the body!

"This car is the one. Ive driven other volvos , saabs and nissans and this is by far my favorite car. The interior is very comfortable , leather is soft, interior control set up is great, seats are by far the best auto seat. only complaint is the turning radius is a bit wide. Not an issue if you live in the burbs but in the city you really need to know your car's limits. I have a T5 and its a powerful drive - cruising is a blast and it really is a FUN. Steering is amazing especially on turns. I can take a right turn going 40 no problem. I have extra traction control - and slightly wider rims (not stock). It's like a family sports car. I had a head on collision in the car not too long ago- and i was completely fine aside from minor whip-flash. My car had less then 5k damage...but i am so glad for my safety....if you had seen the car i hit (a saturn) you would have thought the driver had died - their front half of their car was gone!!! and there was my volvo looking....not so bad... i had a cracked radiator and needed a new bumper and hood. Performance and safety cannot be beat....I LOVE this car. Plus it looks classy, sporty and a little mean."