2002 Volvo S60

8.3

Based on 349 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

The perfect Colorado car

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "styling, fun, great for bad weather"

Cons: "small back seat, back window"

"I have owned this car for 8 years... buying it in 2005 with only 9000 miles on it. I have abused this car more than any car deserves... my parents live out on a farm in Northeastern Colorado and I hunt the plains for deer, pheasants, etc... I drive this car anywhere - rutted dirt roads, icy roads, slush, snow, etc... In the winter I'm driving it up to the mountains to go skiiing. I pass everybody going up the mountain with the turbo power and all wheel drive handling... I have had friends drive it and were blown away. I've replaced the tires and windshield wipers - that's it! I continue to get 30 mpg on the highway and around 24 in town... solid. It hugs the road in all conditions better than any car on the road. The only negative is the rear window...which is a little small but you get used to it and of course it creates the aggressive stance that makes the car so attractive. They haven't changed the style much since 2003 and so my "old" car looks very similar to the new ones hitting the road.... just a great car."

By on Sunday, December 02, 2007

"This car may be the most comfortable I have ever driven. The front seats are second to none. The cabin space, especially in the rear is limited. If you need to travel with 4 adults, you really lose some of the amenities that I would expect from a luxury car. Like many of the other reviewers, I have issues with the turning radius, but initially thought it was due to the upgraded 17" wheels. I rated the quality quite low due to the number of issues I have experienced with my vehicle. Some were extremely minor and were fixed under warranty, but after a point and time, you really get tired of dropping the car off for repairs. Within the first 3 months of owning the car (purchased new), it would struggle to start if it sat more than 8 hours. Had it in to the dealer 3 times for this issue and apparently a number of other users had the same problem (2002 model). Eventually, they told me to switch to regular gasoline and the problem vanished . . . go figure. Other issues i experienced: the gas door fell off the vehicle, my rear seats were never installed properly (and had to fight with the dealer to have corrected), my driver's side seat belt broke and the mother of all issues, I had to replace the rear differential and the OCR (AWD attachment that feeds into the rear differential). That last repair happened prior to the car reaching 50,000 miles but was out of warranty due to timing. Volvo and the dealer worked with me and they covered half the costs to repair, but it was still $3,200 out of pocket. I really never expected to put $6,500 into a repair for a luxury car that was less than 5 years old and under 50,000 miles. That last issue was tipping point. I am going to hold onto this one, but will probably not purchase another. I understand people love their Volvo's as I did initially, but for me, I thought I would get another 50,000 miles out of the car prior to having to dump that kind of money into it. Maybe I was sold a lemon . . ."

excellent car, can't go wrong

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, best value"

Cons: "not the best mpg,"

"This is only my second car I've owned in my lifetime and I don't think I could be more pleased. I was going to the garage with my other car about every other month and it was starting to be a bit expensive, so I went ahead and decided to take the risk on getting another used car that's had a few years on it. I have owned this car for about a year and half now and I just enjoy it more and more everyday it seems. This car rides like it's brand new, even for being over ten years old. I never though of Volvo being the right car brand for me but the perfection and craftsmanship of this car is almost unbelievable. I have had absolutely no problems with this car. I keep it very clean which is a lot easier when you love the car. The way it handles is amazing for how old it is. I've driven both older BMW's and Audi's and to be honest the way this handles definitely beats them. And the style of this car doesn't go away, so many people ask me what year the car is and when I say it's an '03 they kind of are shocked. I can honestly recommend this car to anyone that is looking for an older BMW or Audi, this car is so much more reliable and it's a smarter move. Drive one to see for yourself."

Solid vehicle, lots of quality

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"I have had every car from a Suzuki to a Jaguar. Love this vehicle. It is 10 years old and it still runs well and looks timeless. Maintainance costs were not that bad, although I do have a small coolant leak from either the turbo or the seal-so far so good though!"

Best car- great safety - pure pleasure to drive

By on Friday, August 12, 2011

Pros: "comfort, fun to drive, safety, giant trunk, great handling"

Cons: "not much storage in main cabin , turning radius"

this is all the damage i had after a 45 mph head on crash....the car i hit...the entire front end was crushed and pushed back 3 feet into the body!

"This car is the one. Ive driven other volvos , saabs and nissans and this is by far my favorite car. The interior is very comfortable , leather is soft, interior control set up is great, seats are by far the best auto seat. only complaint is the turning radius is a bit wide. Not an issue if you live in the burbs but in the city you really need to know your car's limits. I have a T5 and its a powerful drive - cruising is a blast and it really is a FUN. Steering is amazing especially on turns. I can take a right turn going 40 no problem. I have extra traction control - and slightly wider rims (not stock). It's like a family sports car. I had a head on collision in the car not too long ago- and i was completely fine aside from minor whip-flash. My car had less then 5k damage...but i am so glad for my safety....if you had seen the car i hit (a saturn) you would have thought the driver had died - their front half of their car was gone!!! and there was my volvo looking....not so bad... i had a cracked radiator and needed a new bumper and hood. Performance and safety cannot be beat....I LOVE this car. Plus it looks classy, sporty and a little mean."

Good car

By on Sunday, September 07, 2008

"Considering selling my S60 and figured I would write a review since I tend to read them when looking for a car myself. The S60 is considered the best car in the Volvo fleet for reliability and my service tech agreed. Judging by my history with this car, its seems to be right on. I have only had one major issue being the radiator being replaced at 62k, the rest just maintenence, i.e. brakes, tires, lights...and more lights. Yes, the headlamps go out very often but are easy to replace. Repairs will be very costly if done at dealership, and cheaper but still pricey at an Indy since OEM Volvo parts are very expensive. With the good reliability however, these costs are kept at bay. Gas mileage averages 25mpg on my car at a 33mph avg speed so the highway/city spread is probably 29/21. Car has about a 400-420mile range per tank which is nice. Stock sound system is not great so worth upgrading. Seats are very comfortable. If grading on a scale of 1-100 I would give this car a 90. Not quite an A since for a turbo the performance is lacking the mid range torque that a Saab has, and when something goes wrong, your wallet gets dinged good otherwise very nice car for the money"

Very reliable, safe, and comfortable car.

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "reliability, comfort, driving stability, safe"

Cons: "limited legroom in back seat"

"This is one of the best cars I have owned, and is my second S60. My first went 269,000 miles with just routine maintenance and was running beautifully until my son totaled it. The S60 is very well designed and drives and handles very well, especially in snowy or wet conditions. It is very stable on the road and extremely comfortable, making it an ideal everyday driver and great for long trips. I average 26 - 27 mpg overall and get as much as 30 mpg on long trips. The only negative thing I can say about this car is that the legroom in the back seat is limited."

Great Used car for teenagers.

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Safety, good in snow, and fun to drive."

Cons: "Not much legroom in the back seats for tall people"

"My family has owned Volvos since the early 70's. A 240 wagon my brother rolled and survived, to a'96 850 wagon that just won't quit, to the most recent purchase '02 s60 turbo for teenager. We have had great luck with both the safety and mechanical of Volvos. The s60 is no exception."

The most underrated Luxury/Performance car ever!

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "See my complete review"

Cons: "See my complete review"

"Pro's: 300 HP, Brembo Brakes, AWD (upgraded for 2005), Volvo safety systems, Premium sound (none better), Volvo orthopedic seating, Tilt steering wheel that is telescopic too!, 0-60 in 5.7 Seconds (you can spend a whole lot more and go just a little bit faster), HID headlamps. Though there are a lot more pro's, I'd say finally "Volvo reliability" Con's: The premium sound system has no way of playing mp3's (you have to convert your mp3's to audio files and burn them on a CD-R disk), pay attention to having your brakes looked at every 3 months or so (you don't want to wear out the pads, cause fixing Brembo brakes is pricy), if you need to buy tires and you rarely go above 90mph go with the less expensive tires instead of tires rated for 150mph. All in all, one of the most underrated luxury/performance cars of all time. This light weight midsized sedan, with 300hp will blow the doors off of Mustang GT's, BMW's and mostly any car out there. Yeah some will beat you by a second or so. But they spent all their money on their car. The Volvo S60R is a sleeper, no one knows what you have. P.S. If you're going to open this baby up on the freeway, buy a radar/laser detector."

Great vehicle - even 10 years later

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pros: "Styling, Great Highway car, Affordable, SAFE"

Cons: "Turn radius, Dealership Maintenance costs"

"Volvo has a great style, inside and out. Even 10 years later, people comment on style, condition, and how well it is aging. My only complaint with this car is that it has a horrible turn radius. It's like Volvo paid close attention to all details, delivered an excellent car, but forgot that turn-radius is important. Looking for a new car, but cannot find a car with the styling, capability, or price that comes close to my 2003 Volvo. With only 76,000 miles after 10-years, I anticipate many more years before I buy something new."

Easy to maintain, trouble free, comfortable

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Smooth quiet ride, great mileage, very reliable"

Cons: "Minor paint issues with age, expensive when new"

"This car has the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car. The gas milage is great! Often close to 30MPG that's fantastic for a 3500 lb car. Interior still looks new. uses no oil, no transmission issues. Everything still works after almost 8 years! Very minor issues with HVAC $800.00 repair and the main computer failed once for $800.00 repair. All else maintenance that I could perform myself. Parts are plentiful and redily availabel. New aftermarket brake pads and rotors delivered to your door for $80.00 can't be beat. Have only replace brakes once in 158K mi. Tires wear evenly. It's a very well made car."

S60

By on Saturday, August 04, 2007

"The best built Volvo sold today. Not the performer my trusted 240 turned out to be, but better styling than that "old refrigerator". The S60 provides 500+ miles of driving between fill-ups (good gas mileage & a large gas tank). Also, the car handles and runs like a sophisticated highly engineered vehicle. Enough room in the back seat (S40 too small/ S80 too much that will break). A bit expensive compared to Toyota and Honda but a much better value than a 3-series BMW."

One the best cars I have had! I was blessed!!!

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

"God blessed me with such a great car am I am greatful!"

I've had this car for 2 years and I love it!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Everything about this car is wonderful. From the turn radius to the comfort of handling, it is the best car I've ever owned. I had a BMW, 2 4Runners, a Buick, 3 other Volvo's [740, 850 and 940] and i love my s60. The only time I've been at the mechanics is to change my oil."

Fantastic

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "Great value, intelligent design."

Cons: "Turning radius."

"This is a fantastic vehicle and a wonderful ride. This vehicle has been mine ever since I got my license. Wonderful in the snow and very limited issues with mantainence. Has not failed me yet and I do expect to drive this vehicle for even longer. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who looks for quality and reliablity."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "well worth the price, safe, reliable"

Cons: "lousy turning radius (that's all!)"

"This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The only problems I've had were little cosmetic things, everything mechanical works as good as the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. It has a great, solid feel that speaks to its safety ratings. If you take care to have it serviced as recommended, these cars really will last forever. I plan to hand mine down to one of the kids, and buy the XC90 next."

By on Tuesday, November 09, 2010

"I have had my 2004 S60 for over 3 years now. I bought the car with 43k miles in 2007. I now have 123k miles as I have a long commute to work. I have done the scheduled oil changes on time. Other than that i have only put about $250 in other maintenance. Headlights seem to go out at a high rate. But I am very happy with the value from this vehicle."

A real value!!

By on Saturday, August 28, 2010

"I have never loved a car until I had this one. My husband bought me a 2001 2.4L for $2200 with 140,000 miles on it. It has about 190K miles now. After replacing a wheel bearing, fixing some minor scratches and dents, inspection and registration and having it professionally cleaned, the total cost was about $4000, including shipping from NJ to PA. Almost needless to say, I was a little upset he spent $4000 on a car with that many miles, even if it was a Volvo. Once I saw and drove it, I fell in love, something that is almost impossible for me. It drives and performs beautifully!! It is great on gas but delivers on performance, it is reliable and "smart", especially for that year. The front seat is comfortable, though the back seat is tight. My oldest child is preschool age now and his legs are starting to reach the backs of the front seats. We are now in the process of buying a Volvo C70 wagon, because I just can't, at this point in my life, even think of not driving a Volvo. Truly a superb car. BRAVO!!!"

Nice car , but...

By on Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Bought my S60R NEW. Love adjustable chassis and power. Hate- turning radius and tire rub. They don't tell you to replace tires with Pirelli or else. Any other tire (correct/same size) will rub. My tires rubbed so much they almost blew out they were rubbed on the sidewalls down to the belts. Dealer noiced the wear on the side of the tire you cannot see. Had 3/4 life on the tread but had to throw out and buy new. Caution tire rub major issue and very dangerous."

Great car

By on Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"I bought this car used and have driven for 4 years now. Runs as well as the day i bought it. 140k miles and still feels like a young car. No issues whatsoever."

Long Lasting

By on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

"Bought my s60 2.4i with 112,000 miles, im at 160,000 now after 3 years it still runs like a champ. The only problem it ever had was a faulty fuel pump which we ended up getting a check from volvo because it was defective. So besides fuel and oil, thats all ive ever done to this car."

The best for your money.

By on Friday, September 07, 2007

"I have been driving my volvo for the last 6 years,Í sell cars and none of them drives like it.The last time i had an inspection done in my car everything looked like new,brakes still have 45% of life,transmission feels great and it keeps performing like when it was new.everything in this car is first quality,you can buy this car today and still loving it six years after.Affordable luxury,performance,styling,utylity great looking car."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"I am not normally a car guy, however I test drove multiple vehicles before settling for the S60 Volvo. Well not settling, purchased. This vehicle has been reliable, quick and MPG has been fantastic up near 35mpg freeway. No complaints what so ever!"

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "great on gas"

Cons: "upgrade the entertainment unit"

"I have owned a few cars in my time and byfar this one is the best. Its comfortable,fast great on gas and did i mention fast? Its quiet yet you can still hear the engine growl when you step on the gas. if you want to get one i say you should! i have a BMW XDRIVE and to be honest i hardly drive it. this Volvo Rocks! don't believe me go drive one and see for yourself."

Great Reliable Car

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Great long lasting car"

"Love this car, Ive owned many cars (Toyota, Dodge, Ford, Mazda) and this is by far the best one. You get more for your money and they last forever with proper maintenance. Plus i get great gas mileage(32 ) Very Comfortable and smooth ride."