2003 Volvo S40

7.6

Based on 179 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Do not buy.

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Sunroof. Turbo."

Cons: "Engine, trans, interior, quality of parts, costs."

"After owning this car less than a year I've replaced Engine Transmission And literally everything in between. Soft leather is ruined from pervious owner. VERY expensive to have worked on, special tools and mechanical knowledge to do simple tasks. Need a special tool to change the oil filter and other simple things. Finding parts is ridiculous, either special order of very expensive."

Excellent in every way. Best car ever owned

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "One owner, new alternator and batt yesterday/ lo m"

Cons: "Owner manual missing I"

"True typical 'little old lady' owner. Very dependable, good mileage . Still a handsome style. A remarkable buy for only 5k. No dealers please"

Fun little car with great gas mileage!

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, quick, comfortable daily driver"

Cons: "Not the greatest looking car, get snows"

"Not kidding when I say we get 34-36 miles per gallon on the Highway. If I'm going on a slower two lane behind a semi, we get 42. At first, I thought the computer was off, so I've been using gas fill-ups(89 octane or better) and mileage to calculate. Spunky little motor, and good handling too."

Excellent reliability, good looks.

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Fantastic reliability, great value, good looks"

Cons: "Parts can be pricey, no stick shift option"

"My first Volvo, but certainly won't be my last. This car's reliability is what gets it such high ratings from me. Apart from a few hiccups, which are normal for all cars, I have not had to do any major maintenance besides a VVT pulley replacement and a standard timing belt change. Has never left me stranded, even in extreme weather, and holds up to any driving styles. Interior is comfortable. Even though I'm not a huge fan of leather, I have made many highway trips (thousands of miles worth) and I have never complained. Simple designs but everything is functional and mostly practical. Gas mileage is pretty standard for a 4-banger turbo. 26mpg in the city, and 30mpg on the highway. There is a bit of turbo lag that is noticeable especially if you have driven more sporty cars in the past, but it gets the job done and has more than enough oomph with its 160hp. Suspension is great for long distance traveling but obviously not optimized for maneuverability. There is some decent body roll under hard driving. But remember, this is a small mid-luxury sedan, not a sports car. All in all an excellent car to own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I could go back."

Money pit

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Reason: money pit kept falling apart

Pros: "nice comfortable ride"

Cons: "too many repairs,"

"I purchased this car as a certified used Volvo from a dealer and had the extended warranty. Nothing but problems and when the warranty was out more issues. Engine mounts cracked, electric door locks broke, electric window function broke...among other things. I am now a very happy Honda Accord coupe owner. Low cost to maintain and very reliable enough said"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo S40 near Honolulu. See local deals