2000 Volvo S40

7.6

Based on 176 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Excellent reliability, good looks.

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Fantastic reliability, great value, good looks"

Cons: "Parts can be pricey, no stick shift option"

"My first Volvo, but certainly won't be my last. This car's reliability is what gets it such high ratings from me. Apart from a few hiccups, which are normal for all cars, I have not had to do any major maintenance besides a VVT pulley replacement and a standard timing belt change. Has never left me stranded, even in extreme weather, and holds up to any driving styles. Interior is comfortable. Even though I'm not a huge fan of leather, I have made many highway trips (thousands of miles worth) and I have never complained. Simple designs but everything is functional and mostly practical. Gas mileage is pretty standard for a 4-banger turbo. 26mpg in the city, and 30mpg on the highway. There is a bit of turbo lag that is noticeable especially if you have driven more sporty cars in the past, but it gets the job done and has more than enough oomph with its 160hp. Suspension is great for long distance traveling but obviously not optimized for maneuverability. There is some decent body roll under hard driving. But remember, this is a small mid-luxury sedan, not a sports car. All in all an excellent car to own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I could go back."

Money pit

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Reason: money pit kept falling apart

Pros: "nice comfortable ride"

Cons: "too many repairs,"

"I purchased this car as a certified used Volvo from a dealer and had the extended warranty. Nothing but problems and when the warranty was out more issues. Engine mounts cracked, electric door locks broke, electric window function broke...among other things. I am now a very happy Honda Accord coupe owner. Low cost to maintain and very reliable enough said"

Very reliable, very expensive to repair

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

Pros: "reliable, great to drive, comfortable"

Cons: "expensive parts and repairs."

"Love this car, it is very reliable, however....when things go wrong, it will cost an arm and a leg to repair. New battery? $212 just as an example. Great car, but get it checked out. See what work has already been done and then decide if you can afford to keep it repaired. Bought this car @ 80K for $5000. Its at 157K and I've spent about $3000 for 2 repairs over 5 years. Oh and the headlights...it eats bulbs like candy."

Average

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Price"

Cons: "Cost of Repair"

"stability"

Loving my volvo!

By on Monday, December 09, 2013

Pros: "Great price, cute car, fun to drive"

Cons: "Interior is ugly!"

"I have a light blue volvo s40. Super cute car, drives well, no problems so far! Had to change out spark plugs after buying it but other than that haven't had any MAJOR issues. It's not a BRAND new car, sure, but for the money, it was worth it. My complaints: Interior! I do NOT like the dash and center console and the side panels. They are ugly IMO but a small price to pay. The car is also a little loud, like it little race car, but again, a small price to pay."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo S40 near Honolulu. See local deals