2003 Volvo C70

8.0

Based on 97 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Good Car

By on Monday, November 29, 2010

"This was my first car and I have to say it has served me well. It was a hand-me-down from my father and I'm moving onto a more recent model of an S40 for safety concerns, as it is a convertible and my dad is a typical dad. My dad is 6'1" and finds it to be comfortable and roomy and the back seat is spacious. I wouldn't suggest it for people with a car seat, as the seats are more of a bucket design. This car is very safe as I once nearly wrecked and the rollover bars deployed immediately even though I did not, in fact, wreck. As with any old car, I have had slight problems with stalling, as Volvos of this make sometimes miss a gear before correcting themselves. Also, I originally had problems with the computer module, as older Volvos sometimes have. The replacement cost $500 from the dealer, but I haven't had any problems since. Overall, it has proved to be a reliable car and pretty gas efficient- I only have to fill up once every 2-2.5 weeks. The top goes down smoothly with the push of a button in about 30 seconds and it's a great feature to have on nice spring and autumn days. I feel very safe driving it and it has proven dependable, even in poor weather conditions. I would recommend this car to anyone looking at older convertibles as you get a lot of bang for your buck."

By on Monday, August 30, 2010

"Upside: Good looking, safe, 27mpg. A lot of class and fun for the money. Downside: Spent $5K in 2 years for repairs. Fuel pump, brakes, oil system leak, front bushings groan when turning. Can't get many parts w/o going through Volvo. I really WANT to love this car, but the repairs, groans, squeaks each month are making it difficult to keep."

looks good

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"I fell in love with this car, however, I was disapointed time after time with frequent and extremely costly repairs. When it was running it ran great, lots of power and handled well but it was just one thing after another, just couldn't keep up!"

My Longest Owned Car

By on Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Purchased this 2000 C70 HT Red Coupe in 11/1999. It just turned over 145K. It was a special order with a stick shift. It has been a great car for me. I have babied it. Other than a few knicks the paint looks like new. As others have said, the interior plastic has become brittle and is cracking. I have gotten 75K out of the front brakes and 105K on the rear. The AC has been replaced but it runs 12 months here in FLA. So not surprised. I will probably keep it for a while and drive it less. It has been my all time favorite car."

A flawed classic beauty

By on Monday, August 16, 2010

"Purchased new in 2005, a major upgrade from a 2000 Sebring, hoping that with a price of almost $40k to get a lasting value. Yikes, almost $30 lost to depreciation in just 5 years, the most expensive car I've ever owned. Reliability has been great, no major repairs, not surprising with under 50k miles. but it could be expensive. I went to the dealer to get a second set of keys (2 keys and a remote) $750 for keys!!? Insane. Still I'm keeping it because it is fast and fun and fuel-efficient and it just gets better looking, especially with the top down. Its pretty quick off the line but I don't think that's the point of this car. On the highway at 75 mph and 2500 RPM you have got the full 240 ft-lb of torque for effortless acceleration to well over 100 mph, top down with great stability and control. At that point the rattles, poor turning radius, small trunk, poor rear seat access are so not important. Speed, beauty, power, what do you want? OK safety too. P.S. I made a significant improvement with new Toyo Versado tires, designed to reduce tire noise. Smooth and quiet luxury cruiser."

I get a lot of compliments

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"My Saab 93 convertible was totaled in an accident so I went back to Volvo. I bought my C70 with 146k on it. It still rides like dream, fast, smooth and awesome brakes! With the top down the noise level is much quieter than my Saab. Top up the noise is very loud from the roof. Also, I hate the turning radius... its enormous. You need also 2.5 lanes to do a U turn. The coolest part is refueling, I get at least compliment at every gas station at how good it looks."

Not for me

By on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"This was a classic case of getting carried away with the thought of driving a convertible and not paying attention to the details. The car looks great and performs as a Volvo should- no complaints. But buyers should pay attention to the extreme lack of storage and the HUGE turning radius of this car. It was also very loud and rough on the roads- a lot of cabin noise as the top rattles around you. Tires are expensive to replace. I really disliked this car and traded it in after only 2 years- which brings up the issue of resale. There is none. According to KBB, the value went down $11k in just 2 years. Love it for what it is- a weekend-drive in the country- convertible. But don't expect much else."

By on Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fun, stylish, and reasonable

By on Monday, July 05, 2010

"Just picked up the 2004 LPT. I drove both and while the HPT had a healthy amount of additional HP I found the power to be less balanced with heavy torque steer. LPT is adequate with balanced power. Not an off the line performer but nice in passing. Sharp looking car with the top down. Some minor creaks and shaking but not atypical of the convertible. Very solid, safe car. This car has 41k miles with no major mechanical issues-alignment, a few bulbs, one engine mount windows are a little creaky, a few rattles over hard surface but overall has been good. Two gripes: Turn radius is poor (see most reviews it is a common complaint and true-tight parking turns takes planning). The front cupholders are cheap as well. Best option if you want to seat 4 for a short to moderate ride-2 young children fit comfortably. Overall pleased so far."

Outstanding Coupe

By on Sunday, June 27, 2010

"I drive Volvo's, I have a 92 940 GL with all the options, great car, very reliable. I worked at a Volvo dealership as the Sales and Service Manager. I retired, and on a whim, I picked up this 2000 C70 (with 151,000 miles, but I know my Volvo's). Basically in good shape, a lot of wind noise becase C70's had frameless front windows. I corrected the problem in 10 minutes by readjusting the door bracket. By the way, I did a car fax on the car, and saw that it got out of lease, and went through three owners before I got it. I guess they didn't like the wind noise. But I fixed it in 10 minutes. Having this car, you have to use synthetic oil changes. As with any Volvo with this mileage there will be the occasional electronic module that may fail. Guess what? You replace it. Is it cheap? Well, cheaper than a Mercedes. I guess it all comes down to this: I enjoy driving my C70 Coupe, people always come up to me and ask me what it is. It's a beautifully designed car and people know it, it may be 10 years old, but it looks good today in 2010. My car works good, the premium sound system works (had to buy a new 3 CD cassette), and I know small plastic parts will eventually break (but they can be replaced). I like the power of the Turbo, I like the ... Oh so great comfortable Volvo seats. If you see one like this buy it. Buy a 850 Turbo Sedan, and if you can find it, a C70 Coupe (not the convertible)."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25