2003 Volvo C70

8.0

Based on 101 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

148,000 miles and still going!

By on Monday, November 26, 2007

"I'm the orginal owner of my C70 coupe and I still get comments about the car and it's styling. I've had a few minor problems over the last 8 years that I've owned it but I purchased an extended warranty that covered everything up to 100k miles. I'm now almost up to 150k miles and it runs great - I attribute that to getting frequent oil changes (VOLVO recommended every 8k miles and I do it every 3k). I also love the safety aspect of this car and there is plenty of room in the backseat for 2 adults. The big preventative maintenance purchase is the timing belt at 90k for $500 but that's a must ! DOWNSIDES: cupholders and dual power seats take awhile to move up or back when trying to let someone in the backseat."

I love this car

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great MPG, interior very comfortable"

Cons: "Cupholder flimsy, steering stops break easily"

"I purchased this car certified pre-owned with 18000 miles. I was originally considering a Volvo S40, but fell in love when I drove the C70. It's fast, gets great mileage (average 25, but I drive it like a race car), the interior is more comfortable than any vehicle I've ever owned, and the (premium, DynAudio) sound system is incredible. Only issues I've had are the steering stops. This is an incredible vehicle."

Budget Enthusiast

By on Thursday, November 01, 2007

"This is the first car I've ever driven and I feel it was a good start for my driving career. Its very fast and performs beautifully except for some turbo lag, and an extremely small turning radius. Parking is tough but I feel now that I can park fine with this car parking with anything else will be a breeze. The hardest part of parallel parking is the lack of visibility in the rear but any decent parker shouldnt have too much of a problem. Reliability: This car is expensive to maintain through Volvo and probably any car shop, but its never broken down or stalled on me so i suppose reliabilty comes at a literal price. Quality: The interior is very nice and aesthetically pleasing. However the cupholders are poorly designed but you shouldnt be drinking anything that doesnt fit in them anyways. The leather is beginnning to wear away on the seats in some places but its not very noticable and the car is 6 years old, so. Performance: This is the fastest car ive driven to date, and ive driven S60's and BMW 5 series. Its a rocket, i will never forget the fun ive had driving this car on backroads. I dont know what else to say, if youre looking for a 17,000 dollar convertible thats incredibly fast buy this car (2001) make sure you get the HPT (high pressure turbo) version. Driving on the highway is bliss. Styling: Modest yet attractive, unlike most cars from 2001 the c70 is very nice looking, especially in darker colors. Most people dont know what it is until they see the Volvo slash on the grille. Personally i think the front end is a bit ugly but with a new grille maybe an R bumper and some clear headlights it would look fantastic. I dont have the money to buy these things, or the incentive, it looks fine for what it is. Comfort: The seats are deep and have seat warmers, im average sized (5'10") and the back seats are fine even for long rides as long as youre passenger is understanding. The sound system is amazing but doesnt get too loud, which is probably a good thing in some cases. It does not play MP3 cd's however but an aux in can easily be installed from . The ride quality isnt great on rough roads but i personally like feeling the road beneath me compared to cars that are so cushioned you dont know what youre driving on. This car has its drawbacks, but its love/hate i feel. It depends on what kind of driver you are/driving youll be doing."

Pretty good car

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cons: "steering ratios. You can't make a tight u-turn."

"Only one real issue. The turning radius is awlful. This car goes straight really well but try to park it and it screams and complains. I've had it for 50K plus miles and use it mainly on the highway. mileage is pretty good, very good at high speeds and pretty efficient. It's a little tight in the back seat but i don't think I've ever had anyone in the back seat. Overall I like the car."

Great Car for comfort and dependability

By on Sunday, March 16, 2008

"This is my second c70. I dislike the turning radias and poor vision backing up. Also, Volvo could do a better job with the cupholders. Here they should take a page from Lexus. However, that being said I still love the car. Great styling and seats are about the best around, particularly on long trips. I am retired so comfort is a must. Car also has lots of room in the front for moving around. Very responsive and defenitely a crowd pleaser. Top is well insulated and have had absolutely no problems with leaks. The ropes safety system for rollovers was a factor in us purchasing this vehicle. Fortunately we have not had to use it. We had considered purchasing a used Saab but after reading their reviews, think we'll stay with the c70"

By on Monday, August 30, 2010

"Upside: Good looking, safe, 27mpg. A lot of class and fun for the money. Downside: Spent $5K in 2 years for repairs. Fuel pump, brakes, oil system leak, front bushings groan when turning. Can't get many parts w/o going through Volvo. I really WANT to love this car, but the repairs, groans, squeaks each month are making it difficult to keep."

I luv my c70

By on Thursday, October 02, 2008

"If you want to get into a convertible for not much $$ this is a great car. Not cheap to have serviced ,but great looking. Performance is not the best, turning radius is terrible, but the car looks so good. The window's squeek over every bump (notorious problem) and I only have 60K miles on it. Sound system is good and the car is very spacious compared to all other convertibles, I did my research and chose a 3yr old c70 over a brand new Sebring or a Toyota Solara. I do not regret that choice."

Very fun car to drive

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"Better performance than one would anticipate from a convertible. Very sporty ride with above average acceleration. Great car for the spring, summer and fall months. Not a great car if you have to transport more than 1 child at a time with the top up."

A flawed classic beauty

By on Monday, August 16, 2010

"Purchased new in 2005, a major upgrade from a 2000 Sebring, hoping that with a price of almost $40k to get a lasting value. Yikes, almost $30 lost to depreciation in just 5 years, the most expensive car I've ever owned. Reliability has been great, no major repairs, not surprising with under 50k miles. but it could be expensive. I went to the dealer to get a second set of keys (2 keys and a remote) $750 for keys!!? Insane. Still I'm keeping it because it is fast and fun and fuel-efficient and it just gets better looking, especially with the top down. Its pretty quick off the line but I don't think that's the point of this car. On the highway at 75 mph and 2500 RPM you have got the full 240 ft-lb of torque for effortless acceleration to well over 100 mph, top down with great stability and control. At that point the rattles, poor turning radius, small trunk, poor rear seat access are so not important. Speed, beauty, power, what do you want? OK safety too. P.S. I made a significant improvement with new Toyo Versado tires, designed to reduce tire noise. Smooth and quiet luxury cruiser."

Dream Car

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"I've owned my 2004 C70 LPT for almost 2 years. I've owned BMW and Mercedes recently but the Volvo is a better car all around. Get's 24 mpg in town and close to 30 on the highway going 80 mph. Never had a service issue or problem. Top seals perfectly. Trust me, spend half as much and get twice the car."

plus and minus

By on Thursday, September 04, 2008

"I love this car...I bought it used with low mileage for a 2000 and it was kept in excellent repair and maintenance. Got it with extended comprehensive warranty, but the warranty is the worst deal I have ever made, it covers virtually nothing. As for the car, as others have said it is beautiful and very comfortable. Handling is OK, acceleration is great when going 40+ but lags at start a bit (turbo lag). I have already replaced back brakes and fixed emergency brakes (previous owner never used them which causes problems apparently). Slight air noise and minor rattling on bumps, true about turning radius being terrible. Also fixed a fuel-air problem but I am being overly careful as I want to own this car a while. Overall great car for the money when bought used but maintenance is keeping this at less than a bargain. Great car though."

Fantastic car

By on Monday, June 16, 2008

"I have owned this car since Jan 2001. I have only had a couple of minor things happen. (A window that got stuck & was fixed under warranty) and a problem with the rear view mirror (minor). Gobbs of trunk space and 2 people can sit in the rear comfortably. Every time I am out in it I get nothing but compliments (Maroon with beige interior). Even though it is a 2001 it looks exactly like the 2006 since they never changed the shape and it is a car that I will not sell for a long time if ever. The 2007 volvo is tiny compared to mine."

Good Car

By on Saturday, September 15, 2007

"Although this vehicle is a head turner it is extrememly noisey. Creaks like an old vehicle even when it was just a few months old. Windows whistle on passenger side. You feel every bump in the road. Whole car shakes and rattles. Turning radius is terrible. The reliabilty has been excellent."

Great on the used market!

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"I just sold a 2003 C70 convertible with the high-pressure turbo after owning for a year. It was a fabulous car...comfortable and a great low price (on the used market) for such a luxurious and well engineered car. Excellent top operation, great power from the HPT engine, BEST STEREO I'VE EVER HAD IN A CAR. A few quirks, but overall a wonderful ownership experience...no regrets. (Only sold to get something that is better in the twisties, which is more my style)"

Has beena good car

By on Friday, November 07, 2008

"I bought this car with 9000 miles on it used from the dealer, and have driven it every day for 5 years. I am happy, but like others I find the turning radius awful, back windows squeak on bumps, and wind noise is what you expect on a convertible. I have had replaced under warranty the radiator resevoir, radio key security sensor, convertible roof module, and that is about it. Service is pricey,and you have to be tough or the Volvo dealer will try to upsell on every occasion other items. Would I buy again, yes. Still tight for a '02 car"

It's got its fair share of issues

By on Sunday, April 06, 2008

"I own a 2001. It is a beauty but overall, I am not too pleased with the car. I find that the whole thing rattles when driving on any unsmooth roads. The windows seem to never fully close as they always whistle with air. The leather on the seats has worn off significantly faster than that of any other car I've had. Turning the car isn't too pleasant as the turning radius on these cars is very poor."

Class on wheels

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"I have had this vehicle since 2001 and have 23400 miles on it. It is the most admired vehicle that I hae ever owned. Everyone compliments me. It is a maroon and with the top down it is classy. I have had only a couple of minor problems (A new window motor and a new fuse) other than that it is a perfect car. I am going to keep this car for at least another 5 years. Why by a new one ths one is bigger and seats 4 people in comfort and I average 17 miles per gallon in combined Hwy and City mileage."

I still love it!

By on Friday, November 09, 2007

"I've had it towed a couple of times. Once for a bad alternator and the second for a defective fuel sensor or something like that. I've also had strange this with the lights flickering off and on but this was fixed once the fuses were changeg. Also, both power windows failed and had to be replaced. So overall, this car has been in the shop more than I'd like but I still love my convertible. The back seat is the best out of all other convertibles I've tested."

great and reliable

By on Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pros: "reliable and great curb appeal"

Cons: "cut holders are weak at best."

"had it for ten years. has never required anything but routine maintenance"

My Longest Owned Car

By on Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Purchased this 2000 C70 HT Red Coupe in 11/1999. It just turned over 145K. It was a special order with a stick shift. It has been a great car for me. I have babied it. Other than a few knicks the paint looks like new. As others have said, the interior plastic has become brittle and is cracking. I have gotten 75K out of the front brakes and 105K on the rear. The AC has been replaced but it runs 12 months here in FLA. So not surprised. I will probably keep it for a while and drive it less. It has been my all time favorite car."

A very solid convertible

By on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

"Great rear seat room, great exterior style, Interior styling is now dated. Great sound system. The HT engine is strong and very fast. The C70 is one of the best values out there for a convertible. I have had drop tops from chrysler, buick, pontiac and oldsmobile. The volvo is the most solid and safest. Holds it's retail value better than most as well. Like many volvos it has it rattles and squeaks - but all around a very fun and stylish car."

Love Mine Minus A Few Minor Design Flaws

By on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"I have the 2004 Volvo C70 convertible. It is pearl white and the perfect "ladies" car! I feel like a million bucks when I am driving it. The power is incredible! I can drive for two weeks on a tank of gas! I cannot get over what great gas mileage this car gets with the amount of power you have at your fingertips. I travel back and forth to the coast, so the convertible is a must-have! There are a couple of things I hope they have improved on in the newer models. It is almost impossible to see out the back of the car to back out. The back seat is very high, and I am assuming this is to help support the ROPS that would help protect you in a roll-over situation. If you are short, this is definitely not the car for you. The biggest frustrution is the wheel stops that are there to support the 16" tires. This keeps your turning radius down to almost nothing. It is very difficult to turn this little car into any huge parking place. Other than those couple of things, this car is a horse! And it looks great! I am loving mine!"

Fun Ragtop revisited

By on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"I bought this 1999 C70 with 130K miles... It is a bit expensive to repair but not out of line for its class. I love this car, moreso than any car I have had in the past 20+ years, it is so much fun to drive. Comfortable, stylish, and dependable. It has a surprisingly large turning radious, but it is so much fun, it makes you want to drive to Kansas to turn it around... Other than that, it performs very well, and is holding up well for the high miles mine has..."

Good car

By on Thursday, April 09, 2009

"2002 C70 HTP convertible. Little plastic parts break but overall very sound car. Repairs and parts a bit pricey. Not all the bells and whistles of Benz or BMW. Very poor storage in the passenger area. Surprisingly large trunk. Not enough top frame padding so top shows creases more than the other brands."

buying a 2nd C70

By on Friday, March 14, 2008

"This car has never failed me. Commute between SW FLA and Ocala weekly. A great road car, fun, fast, faithful. Ambuying a 2nd one for the granddaughter who loves its lines."