1998 Volvo C70

8.0

Based on 99 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

My Longest Owned Car

By on Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Purchased this 2000 C70 HT Red Coupe in 11/1999. It just turned over 145K. It was a special order with a stick shift. It has been a great car for me. I have babied it. Other than a few knicks the paint looks like new. As others have said, the interior plastic has become brittle and is cracking. I have gotten 75K out of the front brakes and 105K on the rear. The AC has been replaced but it runs 12 months here in FLA. So not surprised. I will probably keep it for a while and drive it less. It has been my all time favorite car."

A flawed classic beauty

By on Monday, August 16, 2010

"Purchased new in 2005, a major upgrade from a 2000 Sebring, hoping that with a price of almost $40k to get a lasting value. Yikes, almost $30 lost to depreciation in just 5 years, the most expensive car I've ever owned. Reliability has been great, no major repairs, not surprising with under 50k miles. but it could be expensive. I went to the dealer to get a second set of keys (2 keys and a remote) $750 for keys!!? Insane. Still I'm keeping it because it is fast and fun and fuel-efficient and it just gets better looking, especially with the top down. Its pretty quick off the line but I don't think that's the point of this car. On the highway at 75 mph and 2500 RPM you have got the full 240 ft-lb of torque for effortless acceleration to well over 100 mph, top down with great stability and control. At that point the rattles, poor turning radius, small trunk, poor rear seat access are so not important. Speed, beauty, power, what do you want? OK safety too. P.S. I made a significant improvement with new Toyo Versado tires, designed to reduce tire noise. Smooth and quiet luxury cruiser."

I get a lot of compliments

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"My Saab 93 convertible was totaled in an accident so I went back to Volvo. I bought my C70 with 146k on it. It still rides like dream, fast, smooth and awesome brakes! With the top down the noise level is much quieter than my Saab. Top up the noise is very loud from the roof. Also, I hate the turning radius... its enormous. You need also 2.5 lanes to do a U turn. The coolest part is refueling, I get at least compliment at every gas station at how good it looks."

Not for me

By on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"This was a classic case of getting carried away with the thought of driving a convertible and not paying attention to the details. The car looks great and performs as a Volvo should- no complaints. But buyers should pay attention to the extreme lack of storage and the HUGE turning radius of this car. It was also very loud and rough on the roads- a lot of cabin noise as the top rattles around you. Tires are expensive to replace. I really disliked this car and traded it in after only 2 years- which brings up the issue of resale. There is none. According to KBB, the value went down $11k in just 2 years. Love it for what it is- a weekend-drive in the country- convertible. But don't expect much else."

By on Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fun, stylish, and reasonable

By on Monday, July 05, 2010

"Just picked up the 2004 LPT. I drove both and while the HPT had a healthy amount of additional HP I found the power to be less balanced with heavy torque steer. LPT is adequate with balanced power. Not an off the line performer but nice in passing. Sharp looking car with the top down. Some minor creaks and shaking but not atypical of the convertible. Very solid, safe car. This car has 41k miles with no major mechanical issues-alignment, a few bulbs, one engine mount windows are a little creaky, a few rattles over hard surface but overall has been good. Two gripes: Turn radius is poor (see most reviews it is a common complaint and true-tight parking turns takes planning). The front cupholders are cheap as well. Best option if you want to seat 4 for a short to moderate ride-2 young children fit comfortably. Overall pleased so far."

Outstanding Coupe

By on Sunday, June 27, 2010

"I drive Volvo's, I have a 92 940 GL with all the options, great car, very reliable. I worked at a Volvo dealership as the Sales and Service Manager. I retired, and on a whim, I picked up this 2000 C70 (with 151,000 miles, but I know my Volvo's). Basically in good shape, a lot of wind noise becase C70's had frameless front windows. I corrected the problem in 10 minutes by readjusting the door bracket. By the way, I did a car fax on the car, and saw that it got out of lease, and went through three owners before I got it. I guess they didn't like the wind noise. But I fixed it in 10 minutes. Having this car, you have to use synthetic oil changes. As with any Volvo with this mileage there will be the occasional electronic module that may fail. Guess what? You replace it. Is it cheap? Well, cheaper than a Mercedes. I guess it all comes down to this: I enjoy driving my C70 Coupe, people always come up to me and ask me what it is. It's a beautifully designed car and people know it, it may be 10 years old, but it looks good today in 2010. My car works good, the premium sound system works (had to buy a new 3 CD cassette), and I know small plastic parts will eventually break (but they can be replaced). I like the power of the Turbo, I like the ... Oh so great comfortable Volvo seats. If you see one like this buy it. Buy a 850 Turbo Sedan, and if you can find it, a C70 Coupe (not the convertible)."

Love this car

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I bought my C70 in 2000 and I have been totally pleased. I am a mechanic so I"m critical of vehicles. It still turns heads it's a beautiful and reliable car. I change the oil every 3,ooo and the trans fluid every 15000 a little overkill but in 11 years all I have replaced is the brakes, tires, and battery once.Only wear items. No breakdowns or problems what so ever. My vehicle was a special order from Sweden so mine came from overseas but I don't think that makes a difference. Great car."

A very solid convertible

By on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

"Great rear seat room, great exterior style, Interior styling is now dated. Great sound system. The HT engine is strong and very fast. The C70 is one of the best values out there for a convertible. I have had drop tops from chrysler, buick, pontiac and oldsmobile. The volvo is the most solid and safest. Holds it's retail value better than most as well. Like many volvos it has it rattles and squeaks - but all around a very fun and stylish car."

By on Monday, April 26, 2010

Volvo Never Again

By on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"I bought a Volvo C70 for reliability, styling, and comfort. What a piece of trash. In 6 years I replaced the battery twice, console lights twice, brakes every 20K miles, auto trans needed a rebuild (can't change fluid). What a piece of junk. In great apperance shape and got $6300."

By on Monday, April 19, 2010

love the car

By on Sunday, March 28, 2010

"This Volvo Convertable looks brand new and mine is actually 9 years old! So the style and the look certainly "holds value". Parking valet's ask me still, is this brand new? Wow!"

Love Mine Minus A Few Minor Design Flaws

By on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"I have the 2004 Volvo C70 convertible. It is pearl white and the perfect "ladies" car! I feel like a million bucks when I am driving it. The power is incredible! I can drive for two weeks on a tank of gas! I cannot get over what great gas mileage this car gets with the amount of power you have at your fingertips. I travel back and forth to the coast, so the convertible is a must-have! There are a couple of things I hope they have improved on in the newer models. It is almost impossible to see out the back of the car to back out. The back seat is very high, and I am assuming this is to help support the ROPS that would help protect you in a roll-over situation. If you are short, this is definitely not the car for you. The biggest frustrution is the wheel stops that are there to support the 16" tires. This keeps your turning radius down to almost nothing. It is very difficult to turn this little car into any huge parking place. Other than those couple of things, this car is a horse! And it looks great! I am loving mine!"

Enjoyed the ride

By on Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"I have a 1998 C70 HPT coupe with 87500 mi which was purchased new. I was hoping that this would be a 20-year 1/4 million mile car, but I will probably be selling it in the next year or two. Everytime my wife drives it recently, 'something is breaking'. Pros: Great looking car, good performance, decent gass mileage, great kick-in-the-pants when the turbo kicks in during hard exceleration, comfortable for the most part, and very nice stereo (I have the 3 CD changer in the dash, with a dealer installed 6 CD changer in the trunk). Dislikes: Sloooww motors on the electric seats and windows, no keyed entry on the passenger side, windows have a lot of wind noise, thin plastic components in the interior are breaking, passenger lock occassionally gets 'stuck' on the locked position, both window regulators have gone out this year - which was very expensive to fix at dealer, and as everyone else has stated - very bad turning radius at slow speeds. Other than that, have enjoyed owning this car for the past 11+ years. If I had the space, I'd store this car until its value would start appreciating."

Fun Ragtop revisited

By on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"I bought this 1999 C70 with 130K miles... It is a bit expensive to repair but not out of line for its class. I love this car, moreso than any car I have had in the past 20+ years, it is so much fun to drive. Comfortable, stylish, and dependable. It has a surprisingly large turning radious, but it is so much fun, it makes you want to drive to Kansas to turn it around... Other than that, it performs very well, and is holding up well for the high miles mine has..."

very fun, very unreliable

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"I have gotten so many compliments on this car because it is very stylish and fun, however it is the most unreliable car i have ever had. There is always something wrong with it, whether it is the traction control or the check engine light or the battery. The turn radius is awful, but it's fun if you just want to cruising around town. I have replaced the alternator, 2 batteries, all tires, brake pads, shocks, traction control and many other things all in the past 3 yrs!"

Dream Car

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"I've owned my 2004 C70 LPT for almost 2 years. I've owned BMW and Mercedes recently but the Volvo is a better car all around. Get's 24 mpg in town and close to 30 on the highway going 80 mph. Never had a service issue or problem. Top seals perfectly. Trust me, spend half as much and get twice the car."

Great

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"Pros: - sporty looking - relatively fast for it big size - great sound system - comfortable - great feel on curvy roads - quiet Cons: - small storage for it's size - large turning radius"

A Pure Joy to Drive

By on Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Bought March 09 with 85K miles. Very reasonably priced for a luxury car. Only repairs so far have been new brakes and rotors and new tires. With the top up it's just another Volvo, but top down on a sunny day is pure heaven. Very powerful for a 5 cyl. engine. 5 spd auto is very smooth shifting. Awesome sounding stereo. Great boulevard and highway cruiser. I have rediscovered the joy of pleasure driving. Highly recommended."

Very powerfull car!

By on Thursday, May 07, 2009

"I still own this car already for 10y and i do like to replace it with something like this one HPT 20Valve etc.Wery fast powerfull and good gasmilege cca from 0 to 60 M/Hr in 5.2sec. and choice of sport or economy ride. Plastic interior components are braking very easely and they are very pricey to replace it. Wery stable on the road and curves! Much fun to drive!"

Great on the used market!

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"I just sold a 2003 C70 convertible with the high-pressure turbo after owning for a year. It was a fabulous car...comfortable and a great low price (on the used market) for such a luxurious and well engineered car. Excellent top operation, great power from the HPT engine, BEST STEREO I'VE EVER HAD IN A CAR. A few quirks, but overall a wonderful ownership experience...no regrets. (Only sold to get something that is better in the twisties, which is more my style)"

my baby

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"Great car. Loved it but it had a few minor problems before i gave it up. Will recommend."

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

Good car

By on Thursday, April 09, 2009

"2002 C70 HTP convertible. Little plastic parts break but overall very sound car. Repairs and parts a bit pricey. Not all the bells and whistles of Benz or BMW. Very poor storage in the passenger area. Surprisingly large trunk. Not enough top frame padding so top shows creases more than the other brands."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next