1998 Volvo C70

8.0

Based on 100 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

buying a 2nd C70

By on Friday, March 14, 2008

"This car has never failed me. Commute between SW FLA and Ocala weekly. A great road car, fun, fast, faithful. Ambuying a 2nd one for the granddaughter who loves its lines."

Great car for the money

By on Sunday, December 09, 2007

"If you want to get into a convertible for not much $$ this is a great car. Not cheap to have serviced (do your own oil changes), but great looking. Performance is not the best, turning radius is terrible, but the car looks so good. The window's squeek over every bump (notorious problem) and I only have 60K miles on it. Sound system is good and the car is very spacious compared to all other convertibles."

Fantastic looks and driving

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"This car is not only beautiful from all angles, but is a joy to drive. The high output turbo provides excellent accelleration and yet is very quiet. All it needs is a good dual exhaust system to complete it."

Excellent Convertible

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"This convertible has a great fun-to-price ratio. Excellent second-hand convertible with a fully-automatic one-touch top. It's a classic."

Best Overall

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"I've had my C70 LT Hardtop for 5 years now and have not had any problems with it, it is comfortable, reliable, and very stylish. Performance is moderate but capable. mine is 1999 but the beauty is that it does not look outdated and for used car I think you would get an excellent value. if you buy a used one you are getting a luxury car for an economy price, can't beat that! The seats are the most comfortable that I've ever had."

Great car!!!!!

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"This is the best car I have ever had. It has the comfort to suit my needs after a long day at work. The reliability has been teriffic since I first bought it. Sure it is a 1998 but it feels like a 2005. The quality in this car has to be the best I have seen. Fantastic on mileage too it was said I would get 25 highway and 18 city but I get 26 sometimes 27 highway and 20 or 21 city. Over all, this is the car to own."

Great Car!

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"This car is actually spacious for a conv, and reasonably priced for a luxury car. The car drives great, and is the perfect car for the Jersey Shore. I recomend this to anyone looking for a fun, stylish, and quality car."

Fun, stylish, and reasonable

By on Monday, July 05, 2010

"Just picked up the 2004 LPT. I drove both and while the HPT had a healthy amount of additional HP I found the power to be less balanced with heavy torque steer. LPT is adequate with balanced power. Not an off the line performer but nice in passing. Sharp looking car with the top down. Some minor creaks and shaking but not atypical of the convertible. Very solid, safe car. This car has 41k miles with no major mechanical issues-alignment, a few bulbs, one engine mount windows are a little creaky, a few rattles over hard surface but overall has been good. Two gripes: Turn radius is poor (see most reviews it is a common complaint and true-tight parking turns takes planning). The front cupholders are cheap as well. Best option if you want to seat 4 for a short to moderate ride-2 young children fit comfortably. Overall pleased so far."

Love this car

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I bought my C70 in 2000 and I have been totally pleased. I am a mechanic so I"m critical of vehicles. It still turns heads it's a beautiful and reliable car. I change the oil every 3,ooo and the trans fluid every 15000 a little overkill but in 11 years all I have replaced is the brakes, tires, and battery once.Only wear items. No breakdowns or problems what so ever. My vehicle was a special order from Sweden so mine came from overseas but I don't think that makes a difference. Great car."

Enjoyed the ride

By on Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"I have a 1998 C70 HPT coupe with 87500 mi which was purchased new. I was hoping that this would be a 20-year 1/4 million mile car, but I will probably be selling it in the next year or two. Everytime my wife drives it recently, 'something is breaking'. Pros: Great looking car, good performance, decent gass mileage, great kick-in-the-pants when the turbo kicks in during hard exceleration, comfortable for the most part, and very nice stereo (I have the 3 CD changer in the dash, with a dealer installed 6 CD changer in the trunk). Dislikes: Sloooww motors on the electric seats and windows, no keyed entry on the passenger side, windows have a lot of wind noise, thin plastic components in the interior are breaking, passenger lock occassionally gets 'stuck' on the locked position, both window regulators have gone out this year - which was very expensive to fix at dealer, and as everyone else has stated - very bad turning radius at slow speeds. Other than that, have enjoyed owning this car for the past 11+ years. If I had the space, I'd store this car until its value would start appreciating."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2008

"This is a wonderful car and we highly recommend it!"

Nice car for the money

By on Saturday, February 16, 2008

"Nice car,limited problems. Handles great and the turbo is quick to respond. very comfortable seats and room."

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Fabulous, ageless convertible--seems to get better with each passing mile."

You'll love it!

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"All around joy to own and drive. Fun and fast it turns heads around town. Very comfortable interior with an awesome sound system."

Great Value

By on Thursday, November 15, 2007

"Wonderful car for a great price. You won't find a better buy out there when it comes to convertibles in this price range. Extremely happy with the purchase I have made. No problems at all and a really fun car to have."

Watch for the electric problems

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"My C70 is the blue that they show in the picture and on the cover of the owners manuel. It is beautiful. The electronic issues in the car keep me from loving it. I have spent way too much on trying to keep the top working. There is an inherent electrical problem which Volvo acknowledges was a problem with the '98 but refuses to try to help with. When the top works and the sun shines I am in heaven. When I close the trunk and the headlights come on, not so much. Have the car tested electronically before purchase. After 2 dealers who did not know what they were doing I have found a great place that wants to fix this issue and seems to have it resolved for now. Keep your fingers crossed for me."

Not Bad

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "LOOKS ALL DAY!!!!"

Cons: "Maintenance is horrible, good luck finding parts!"

"Doesn't hold value that well and extremely expensive to maintain!!!! Fun to drive but terrible to live with long term. Better cars on the market for the money. If you are going to be the only one in the car and don't expect to have any other passengers then this would be fine. GREAT GAS MILLAGE!!!! I guess you could say I have a love/hate relationship with this car. Has never left me on the side of the road."

What a fun car!!

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "great handling, fun to drive, responsive, reliability"

Cons: "poor cup holder design"

"The engine runs very smoothly and gives a sense of powerful revs. Frankly, I think the first generation C70 convertible is a much better buy, particularly when comparing to the Volvo's second-generation C70 which is heavier and slower. The car turns heads when I drove down the street to see my pals. Although the Volvo dealer charge an ram and leg for the routine maintenance, nonethelss, I found a good mechanic at the Shoreline's Cornerstone auto services and it only costed me half of the costs comparing to the dealer's. It really brings down the car maintenance expenses significantly if you know a good service guy."

very fun, very unreliable

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"I have gotten so many compliments on this car because it is very stylish and fun, however it is the most unreliable car i have ever had. There is always something wrong with it, whether it is the traction control or the check engine light or the battery. The turn radius is awful, but it's fun if you just want to cruising around town. I have replaced the alternator, 2 batteries, all tires, brake pads, shocks, traction control and many other things all in the past 3 yrs!"

Safest convertible with decent acceleration

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Reason: need money

"Hard to fix, for it's an European car. Other features are just perfect. Absolute a sports car. Low key show-off. Drives as fluently as you can imagine. Never find a more comfortable-driving car since then."

Great convertible, holds 2 adults, 2 kids perfectl

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Small trunk space, fun to drive, convertible goes up and dowm easily."

Outstanding Coupe

By on Sunday, June 27, 2010

"I drive Volvo's, I have a 92 940 GL with all the options, great car, very reliable. I worked at a Volvo dealership as the Sales and Service Manager. I retired, and on a whim, I picked up this 2000 C70 (with 151,000 miles, but I know my Volvo's). Basically in good shape, a lot of wind noise becase C70's had frameless front windows. I corrected the problem in 10 minutes by readjusting the door bracket. By the way, I did a car fax on the car, and saw that it got out of lease, and went through three owners before I got it. I guess they didn't like the wind noise. But I fixed it in 10 minutes. Having this car, you have to use synthetic oil changes. As with any Volvo with this mileage there will be the occasional electronic module that may fail. Guess what? You replace it. Is it cheap? Well, cheaper than a Mercedes. I guess it all comes down to this: I enjoy driving my C70 Coupe, people always come up to me and ask me what it is. It's a beautifully designed car and people know it, it may be 10 years old, but it looks good today in 2010. My car works good, the premium sound system works (had to buy a new 3 CD cassette), and I know small plastic parts will eventually break (but they can be replaced). I like the power of the Turbo, I like the ... Oh so great comfortable Volvo seats. If you see one like this buy it. Buy a 850 Turbo Sedan, and if you can find it, a C70 Coupe (not the convertible)."

Good Car

By on Monday, November 29, 2010

"This was my first car and I have to say it has served me well. It was a hand-me-down from my father and I'm moving onto a more recent model of an S40 for safety concerns, as it is a convertible and my dad is a typical dad. My dad is 6'1" and finds it to be comfortable and roomy and the back seat is spacious. I wouldn't suggest it for people with a car seat, as the seats are more of a bucket design. This car is very safe as I once nearly wrecked and the rollover bars deployed immediately even though I did not, in fact, wreck. As with any old car, I have had slight problems with stalling, as Volvos of this make sometimes miss a gear before correcting themselves. Also, I originally had problems with the computer module, as older Volvos sometimes have. The replacement cost $500 from the dealer, but I haven't had any problems since. Overall, it has proved to be a reliable car and pretty gas efficient- I only have to fill up once every 2-2.5 weeks. The top goes down smoothly with the push of a button in about 30 seconds and it's a great feature to have on nice spring and autumn days. I feel very safe driving it and it has proven dependable, even in poor weather conditions. I would recommend this car to anyone looking at older convertibles as you get a lot of bang for your buck."

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

By on Friday, August 17, 2007

"Man, do I feel sexy in this car! People drive up beside me at traffic lights and walk up to me in parking lots to tell me what a great looking car this is. Besides how beautiful it is, it's peppy, sporty, and as dependable as you expect a Volvo to be. It's now 4 years old (I bought it in late 2003) and I'd start out across country in it right now and know it'd get me there with little gas, a lot of fun, and without problems. Before I got this, I could drive my Pathfinder to GA on 2 tanks of gas (large tanks, too!). Now I drive on 3/4 of a small tank of gas. Gotta love that."

This car...

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Fun car, very luxurious, beautiful"

Cons: "Needed the Valve Body replaced after 2 months..."

"I bought mine with a rebuilt title at 118k miles. It drives awesome but has some strange creaking sound. The engine runs perfect, no problems, but after driving it for 2 months the engine light and transmission light start flashing and I take it in and it says solenoid problem. It's recommended I replace the valve body for $1400. I love the car so much, it's BEAUTIFUL, fully loaded, two tone leather heated seats, peppy turbo, great sound. Can't see out the back well at all though, but it is a turbo. I'm just going to pay the $1400, it's more than worth it. Hopefully it'll be the last of my problems with it for a long time."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next