1996 Volvo 850

Based on 282 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

I love my Volvo

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"I've owned Volvos for 35 years. This is the second 850. 215K miles andNOTHING has broken. Original muffler, shocks and only the second battery. Change the oil and tires is all...oh, I changed the spark plugs at 110K! Have hit 3 deer and repairs were easy. This is a nice, convenient, solid feeling car and it's SAFE! the only bad thing is I can't get a brand new one just like it!"

Gr8 Vehicle

By on Friday, January 9, 2009

"I bought this 1993 850GLT new. It has only 85600 miles. As others say, the repairs can be expensive. I have had some pblms; ie, A/C control panel burned out, 2 power window mechanisms failed, SRS power strap had to be replaced but ca. $4000.00 over 15.5 years, not too bad, I think. The major maintenance is every 30K miles and costs about $500.00 but worth it. Take care of it, it will take care of you."

Good Vehicle

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"My parents bought me an 850GLT for my first car, it had 90k miles on it at the time and the only problem was the breaks. 2k miles into driving it, my odometer broke, and was stuck on 92,455, this can be easily fixed by buying the odometer gear from IPD (google it) and can be done yourself for under $50, (compared to the $300 the dealership will charge you. I used the car's computer to access just how many miles were on my car and turned the odometer accordingly, This is a great first car, and is extremely reliable. the car is 13 years old and the motor still pulls strong. One downside is the lack of space in the rear seats, but there is plenty of room in the front, as well as having a gigantic trunk. If you check one out and the breaks are are noisy, it is a common occurence with 850's to have squeaky breaks"

This car should say practical and fun to you.

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "great value for the price, fun to drive, space,"

Cons: "minimal cup holders"

"This car is two simple things, practical and fun. This car is perfect for you if you're a surfer. I've traveled with up to 4 people as far as 400 miles in search of surf and its always proved to have enough space and the power to haul it. This was my first car and it has always served me well. The value for the price is outrageous. Would buy another Volvo."

Rocket into Comfort

By on Saturday, September 8, 2007

"I finally own the 1995 850 T5R (wagon) and it's awesome, got it with 87k. Tracked down original owner, he didn't like it because he always brought it in for service to the dealer (every time the service light went on), who fleeced him each time for unnecessary and expensive maintenance and repairs. Since I already own a 1994 940 (for 11 years, 165k) and do much of the basic maintenance myself, it was an easy transition to the more powerful, ultra-comfortable 850 turbo. Love the acceleration, handling, seating, and safe feeling. Beats almost everything on the road, especially in "Sport" mode which kicks down gear plus adds turbo (watch for the tendency to go past 5500 RPM). Sound system is great, plays everything, esp. Alpine CD changer and cassette which turn on immediately. Of course, you have to "know" Volvo before you commit to something like the 850 T5R. Only problem with mine thus far is strange transmission "delay" getting back into first gear off hard full-stop, which appears to be electrical rather than mechanical (dealer no help, recommends replacing transmission!). Convinced more and more that Volvo dealers never try to find the simple cause of any problem, but will gladly replace parts and push unnecessary repairs. Do your research first and cross-check! The internet is much better source for almost every quirk, repair, and maintenance item, including OEM parts that are half-price of the dealer. As long as I can find knowledgeable private mechanics for major stuff, I hope to run this baby to 300k."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo 850 near Honolulu. See local deals