1995 Volvo 850

Based on 281 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

NEVER giving this up

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "Safe, reliable, comfortable. very low cost at 190k"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"18 years, 190,000 miles, still feels new. Very comfortable for long distance driving, downright luxurious for commuting. I love the simple interior design, convenience and practicality. Handles well, good in the snow, and of course Volvo safe. What more could you ask for a car? I take care of my cars and keep them a long time. Forty years of driving, this is my third car. Complaints about reliability from people who replace cars every few years tells me they abuse or do not maintain the ones they have. Occasionally things break or wear out. I fix or replace them. Price for repairs probably higher than for some other manufacturers, but at 190k I am so far ahead financially that it is silly to complain. Reluctant to recommend an 18 year old car to anyone unless they know it has been properly maintained. I will keep this until it can no longer be repaired. Then I will buy another Volvo."

One of the BEST

By on Monday, December 10, 2007

"I LOVE this car (1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon). I bought it because I needed a car that had some cargo space for our show dogs. Our previous small SUV was just too small. I have been pleasantly surprised by how much this car delivers. It is safe, extremely comfortable and it handles like a dream. I have owned 46 cars in my 45 years (true!) and this is, in my opinion, one of the BEST I have ever owned. While parts can be expensive, once you find a reputable repair shop, you will not be disappointed in your choice. It is more responsive than most "sports" cars, and is precise in it's handling. Also the brakes are amazing! Sure footed and quick to stop you. I would recommend this car to anyone. I plan to drive it until at least 500k miles!"

850 turbo 1995

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"this car is great. If you are looking for a fast put you in the seat kinda car that still can pull 28mpg on the hwy then this is your car. the comfort level is amazing I can't explain how nice the seats feel and the sound system is amazing. the car is rated at one of the most reliable cars in europe. the only problems i had was cracked outer and inner cv boot and brakes go fast but thats given when you ride it like a sports car :) oh and you can get ecu chips upgraded to push 300hp out of this car :) def a sleeper"

I make excuses to drive this car!

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "Handling, comfort, reliability, 30 mpg hwy"

Cons: "No cup holders, not torqy"

"I bought this car at an auction for $1000 dollars and after replacing some really bad tires and getting it aligned I fell in love with the way this thing drives and handles. I have the 1993 850 GLT non turbo in black with a rear spoiler and I've come to see it as a very good looking car, I prefer the sharp boxy front end of the earlier years to the later ones. Power was aweful when I first got this car and I had a major starting issue, sometimes the car would even die on the highway. I was worried about reliability for awhile until I realized that I had a simple bad fuel pump relay (easy and cheap to replace) and a very dirty air intake/throttle body/idle air control valve system. Working on this car myself has made it very affordable and I recommend that anyone considering buying a twenty year old be willing to do so. The 2.4 liter 5 cylinder has a decent amount of power but I wouldn't call it torqy, I'd love to have a turbo version. The last thing I'll say is that the interior is incredible, everything is laid out in a simple to use manner and the seats are oh so comfortable. No real cup holders but the gas gauge indicates how many gallons you have left which is awesome!"

Best car I've ever owned

By on Monday, December 07, 2009

"I am the original owner of this 15 year old Volvo 850 5-speed manual transmission wagon. I've driven this car 213,000 miles so far. It's maintained it's comfort and exterior paint finish, one clutch replacement at 150K, A/C replaced around 160K. Otherwise, 5 sets of tires, handles very well, carries anything I need to move, my kids grew up in the backseat. My husband keeps offering me a new car. I just don't want to let this Volvo go cause there is still a lot of miles left in it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo 850 near Honolulu. See local deals