2011 Volkswagen Touareg

Based on 81 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

The "Un-Premium" premium SUV

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

"Purchased a 2013 TDI LUX new; and now it has 20k on the clock. At around 13k miles, I began experiencing severe tire wear on the inner edges. A trip to the tire shop and $250 later, confirmed my suspicions: the alignment was spot on. Talking with the Pirelli Rep, he feels there is nothing wrong with the tires; and VW provides no warranty on tires. A few cross rotations has them nearly sorted out - not that VW was any help. Then there are the brakes. It seems that my rotors have "warped" @ 16k miles, and VW doesn't feel it is a defect, and is not covered under warranty. In fact, they've gone so far as to tell me "you shouldn't expect brakes/pads/rotors on a 5000 lb vehicle to last over 20,000 miles." My overall take: it has a really nice diesel engine. Fuel Economy stays around 24-26. But, unless you have $1500 dollars laying around to buy new tires every year, and another $600-800 for brakes which should be (but aren't) covered under warranty ever 16-18k miles, this might be a very expensive vehicle for you to own and operate. And don't expect ANY Premium Service for your "Premium" SUV from VW. Fortunately, I have been able to do the work on my brakes myself. I can't imagine paying a VW dealer $1500 or so for new brakes."

Great SUV

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage, excellent towing ability"

Cons: "A little bumpy on rough roads at slower speed."

"I bought the TDI Sport with navigation after looking at the BMW X5 diesel and the Audi and Porsche Cayenne. I have been very impressed with the comfort, interior sound level and towing capacity. I can hardly believe that a vehicle capable of 30+ MPG can have a 7700 lb towing ability. That is 1200 more than the Tahoe I traded in and it only averaged 18mpg hwy. Running at 75mph I get 29 mpg and in town I average 24mpg. After 10,000 miles it has been flawless."

Best VW I have owned...period

By on Thursday, May 07, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy, comfort, styling"

"I have been a brand loyal VW customer since 2003, all of them being TDIs. I had two Golf TDI before getting my Touareg and I've never regretted having this SUV. In fact, having the TDI engine in this flagship SUV made complete sense. If you're familiar with the service intervals, it is a no brainer. Every 10K. Yes, it's a German car and some things will be a little bit more, but it is worth it and I have a great mechanic that services my vehicles. This car is extremely comfortable and makes distance driving a joy. You have all the contact from the road and this 6600 lb car is quite responsive. The fuel economy is insane! While it is rated 28 highway, I have been able to coax 32-34 on a trip to Chicago with the AC on no stop. What full sized SUV can do that on the market? You will initially think this is too much car for me, but after a the first week it becomes a part of you. I was lucky to get this car used as part of 1 yr old company fleet car for VW with less than 12K on the odometer, so the price point worked out very well for me and I still had all the benefits of a solid warranty. New or used, this is a fine VW to have."

I will continue to drive this elegant beast 4ever!

By on Saturday, April 04, 2015

Pros: "Awesome vehicle, driving the country is a treat..."

"What a vehicle! Never shirks, never a problem, smooth, tough, elegant and reliable as the day is long. You cannot do better!"

great power and dynamic handling, best SUV ever

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "wonderful performance and gas mileage"

"Terrific for pulling a trailer, acceleration performance is outstanding"