2010 Volkswagen Touareg

7.8

Based on 295 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

Horrible car

By on Saturday, May 15, 2010

"This is the worst car we have ever owned. Granted, we did not do as much research as we should have before buying it. My wife decided that she wanted something 'different', something uncommon. We have owned this pile for a little over 2 years. It was a lease return and was sold by the dealer as 'certified' which basically means they build a $750 extended warranty into the price and thank heavens for that. In the two years that we have had it it has been towed in 3 times for major issues including a faulty fuel rail causing the car to die and start gushing gan on the street, a broken drive shaft caused by faulty bearings (a $6,000 repair if we had to pay for it) and a failure of the starter due to missing insulation in the wiring bundle during manufacturing. Maintenance is a nightmare with the average 10K mile service running $600 or more. Even changing a headlight requires dealer service and runs about $300 a lamp. All that said, when the car works, it is a dream. The Audi V8 could power a tank and the road manners, stability and control are typical German. The nightmares and cost do not make up for the quality of the ride."

hard to replace

By on Saturday, November 14, 2009

"bought my 2004 new in early 2005 with a $10,000 off sticker sale. paid $32,000 for a well equiped car. have had almost no issues, replace brakes at 40,000 miles and now on my 3rd set of tires at 80,000 miles. car still has a blue book of about $14,000. how can you beat it? gas milage is not great but you cant have everything. its going to be difficult to replace it."

It's pretty good...

By on Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"I do love this car, although when something goes wrong with it, I practically have to take out another mortgage on my home. Aside from the insanely high costs of maintenance, this car is awesome. Power, power, power..."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Aside from the fact that it is expensive to maintain( ie 7 quarts of synthetic oil-however that cost is balanced out by not having to change it as frequently as reg oil) Expensive tires( however, again, other SUV's and pickups are similar costs in tires). Main disadvantage I have is having to take it to a dealer, even for a brake light! (Since VW makes it difficult to obtain parts for any other repair shop). Yes, I average about 15-17 mpg in town- best was 22 on a long trip from TX to ND. Pros: it has a heavy but responsive feel when driving- easy to go a little too fast. Always feel safe drving it, Pretty roomy for cat carriers, luggage, and child. Overall, since it is a luxary vehicle and SUV/Crossover it is about what I expected. I now have 68,500 miles on it and will easily expect another60-80,000 , given that it is made by VW. I think those of you have had major issues, just were unfortunate, because more of us probably haven't had any at all. I've owned mine since Dec 2004."

Best SUV for the money

By on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Looked at BMW, Mercedes, Porsche & Volvo. So glad I choose the 2005 V8 Touareg. Best SUV for the money. Less money than the others but more content & quality. I've owned this vehicle for 5 years and the only thing I had to change was the brakes at 40,000 miles. Tires should be rotated every 5,000 miles."