2010 Volkswagen Touareg

7.8

Based on 295 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

Incredible to Own, Amazing to Drive!

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

"PROS: There are too many to single out, but our 2005 VW Touareg has a timeless elegance to it's appearance that often shocks people to know that it's not a newer vehicle. The quality of the leather seats and the shine of the wood grain and chrome accents adds to it's incredibly luxurious interior. It has amazing handling and offers a sturdy drive. The incorporated in-dash cooler help keeping a cool bottled drink on-hand during long road trips, while the "thunk" to each closing door reminds the driver that there is a great level of sound proofing from outside distractions. We've weathered heavy snow and torrential rains with heavy winds in our VW without feeling "vulnerable". The Touareg holds it's own. It never rolls back on hills and proves it's reliability year after year. CONS: For anything worth having, it's worth having to upkeep. Routine maintenance on the Touareg is a little pricey, but with it, the reliability of the Touareg is hands down PRICELESS. OVERALL: There are so many great things to say about the Touareg, but it's performance and reliability outshines them all. Never had a cold morning where my Touareg didn't start. Never had an engine failure. Never been stranded. Never. Reliability and luxury with an amazing drive; anything else is immaterial."

Competent On and Off Road

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "V8, Air Suspension, Low Range, Lockers, Lights"

Cons: "MPG's, Maintenance"

"I bought this car used with 27000 miles on it back in April of 2012. I can not stress how much I love this car. The only repair it ever needed was to replace the driveshaft. The car is solid and secure in everyway possible. I have had this car off in some pretty rough terrain and it felt just as solid as it does at over 100 mph. The interior is top notch. The leather in my LR4 and the 2012 ML Bluetech can not match up. Everytime I drive the car I love it more and more. The adjustable suspension and the low range are my favorite features. I will keep this car well over 100,000 miles. It may be expensive to maintain but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. I love it and the V8 power is amazing."

Outstanding

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Best vehicle I have ever owned! Goes everywhere I've taken it off road. Tows my antique car and 21' boat with ease, and does it all in extreme comfort and luxury. It's not the SUV for everyone. Because of it's off-road capabilities and luxury appointments it's pretty heavy and doesn't get very good gas mileage. It's also kind of pricey, but not when you compare it to something like a Range Rover or Mercedes. If you don't need to tow much or only take light trails get something like a Lexus RX. It has the most comfortable seats of any car I've owned though they don't provide much lateral support. The NAV doesn't have as many features as say a Lexus, but the guidance is excellent, plus it has an off-road feature. The air suspension makes this vehicle extremely flexible and the auto leveling is great for towing. The ride is first rate. The separate hatch window has been extremely usefull. The fact that the rear seats actually fold flat is a big plus when hauling large flat fragile items. I love the size of the vehicle since I hate driving large SUVs. Since it shares it's platform with the Porsche Cayenne it drives extremely well at high speeds. The negatives are: the soft touch finish around the window switches started pealing, but was replaced under warranty; tires don't last long, but that may be because I go off-roading; it has keyless entry, why not keyless start?"

Solid & Still Looks Good after 10 years

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

"I considered trading this vehicle in when the fuel pumps failed at 150k miles but decided against it. Repairs on this vehicle are expensive, but I've only had maybe three major repairs in 10 years. I think I've driven the last 50k miles with no mechanical problems. This vehicle has 150k miles on it but it does not feel worn out at all. Its a V-8 engine. It handles great. Its very solid and I still like the way it looks after 10 years."

sporty fun

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Just a quick review of my VW. Love to drive this car, great around town, in and out of traffic. Sporty and Fun, The only downside, $70 wiper blades, $400 head light, for just one, 600 to replace the front break pads, you've got to be kidding. A blast to drive if you can afford it."

A good buy, if you know what you're buying...

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"We bought a late VIN 2004 V6 Touareg in December of 2004. We have not experienced most of the problems that people complained about with earlier VINs. The only major problem we had was with bad coils, which took several trips to the dealer to resolve, but I blame that mostly on the service department, as they refused to road test the vehicle on more than one occasion. We have also had minor problems with interior trim, but they were always resolved immediately under warranty. Mileage is not great, but it is what we expected with a 5200 pound vehicle and a V6. It tows a 19' boat nicely, both accelerating and stopping reasonably well. In short, there isn't another SUV on the planet that rides as well as this one on-road, AND performs as well off-road. Some do one, some do the other, but this is great for both. Would like more suspension articulation off-road, however."

Excelent Vehical

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Great handaling and acceleration"

Cons: "Gas Milage, costly maintenance"

"Hate to get rid of it, but with the cost of gass and over 105k miles not worth the cost of up keep. Need to go to a VW specialist to do basic oul change as franchised oil change locations will not deal with it."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, holds lots of packages, roomy"

Cons: "not so good on gas....."

"I've owned mine for almost 5 years now and have loved it. Very reliable and drives really, really nice (turns on a dime REALLY). We have made several trip and everyone is comfortable the entire trip. Easy to get in and out of for my short and elderly mom. Lots of cargo room for Black Friday shopping. Maintenance can be pretty pricey but my husband does most of it. Warranty is almost gone so I'll be trading it in next year for new model. Maybe :-)"

Love my car- expensive to maintain

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

"I absolutely love my car- I love the look of it and how it drives. It is however very expensive to maintain- the parts expensive and have to take it in to do something as simple as change a headlight bc these cars are complicated to work on."

Better than expected

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"It appears that a lot of 2004 Touareg owners have had problems. That was 4 years ago and I think VW has addressed the problems and have solidified the model. I traded an 04 Audi A4 for this 6 months ago and love it. Very comfortable and great handling for a big car. No problems in 7k miles. As far as fuel mileage I can only compare it to the V6 A4 I had. In that car I averaged about 16 mpg in town, about the same as the Touareg. In the A4 I also had to do brakes and tires every 20k miles (like many Touareg owners have commented). I think it is just the nature of AWD. But I don't get stuck in deep snow and I don't have to worry when going down those old roads to find a great fishing spot."

Great car

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

"Change the oil very 7500 miles. This car runs and runs"

Sweet ride all around. GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "fun, practical yet luxurious, durable, sleak, parkable, powerful"

Cons: "maintenance, gas mileage"

"First things first: The extended warranty saved me so much money. Like any nice VW, Qudi, Porsche, etc with Bosh electronics and turbo engine, it requires care and things go wrong. They were all electrical and minor for me, therefore it is reliable ont he road. Overall, this car is amazing comfortable on long trips, drives like an Audi (I owned an A6), handles like a champ in the snow and dirt, and can park anywhere (not a large annoying SUB). Every luxury about this car makes it worth the buy. I recommend this for anyone with 4x4 needs who likes to drive a real luxury car and really enjoy the road."

Glad I tried the Touareg!

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"Since its 2004 debut, I thought it was a great looking vehicle. I was amazed how heavy, sturdy, stable - yet drives like a car and full of options it had. It really is a luxury SUV. I moved to the 2005 V8 Touareg from a BMW 3-series, the Touareg is actually quieter and smoother on the road - even at high speeds. It shifts rough from 1st to second, should be warmed up about 5-10 minutes before driving, and the gas mileage is about the same as third-row seat SUVs. This is by far the fastest "big" car I've owned, I think it's quicker off the line than my BMW. I bought the car for size, looks, and tow-ability, we have a boat and I originally looked at the Lexus crossover SUV and BMW X5 but it was not rated high enough to pull the boat. The only ones with the power were big trucks, Land Cruisers, Range Rovers, Volvo XC90 and the third-row seaters. So I checked all of them out and they did not compare to the VW. On the downside, it is a new SUV for VW - I am concerned how long they will make them - if they discontinue the bottom will fall out. They do eat tires, but we called Range Rover and asked what tires they use on their vehicles, they suggested Michelin, so we switched to those (Range Rovers are heavy). The VW goes through brakes, but there's not much you can do but change your driving habits - it's a big truck, if you drive fast and brake hard, you'll replace them in 25K miles. But - it was also the highest safety rated vehicle in 2005, maybe 2006 too, it is low-centered - can't imagine how you could flip it, it's GREAT in bad weather, it tows the boat like it's not there, it has a really tight turning radius, so U-turns and parking is easy, the insurance premiums were REALLY LOW - way lower than our 1997 Toyota truck and lower than the BMW. It looks nice and is practical. The fold down seats take a few times to get the feel for (pull seat cushion up, then lift up, then lay back), and the sound system is awesome- subwoofer inside the car. I would recommend to a friend - but only friends with financial stability to afford the gas, the periodic maintenance and occasional tires."

Awesome SUV!

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"No need to say much - a car that has been engineered by Porsche and assembled by Volkswagen must be awesome. The Germans simply know how to build great cars. I LOVE IT!"

Superb Vehicle!

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"Best SUV, Period! Incredible power, ride quality and performance, both on and off road. Accelleration is awesome; it is extremely quiet and comfortable on highway, and looks stunning (I have Reflex Silver). Only down side is the poor fuel economy - but hey, for a nearly 7000lb vehicle, with full time 4WD and a hungry V8, What would you expect?!! Duh! Don't buy this if you are concerned about gas milage. (I get a little less than the 14/18MPG advertised by VW, probably due to my lead foot). If you're looking for a reliable, real "Trail-Worthy" 4WD that can also run on the "Autobahn" with ease, Toureg is the choice! Recommend the V8!"

Most comfortable, smooth and reliable ever

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "LOVE the way she corners, even at high speeds."

Cons: "Navigation is not good"

"I LOVE my Touareg 2! I have never once had any kind of issue with it. I have a very bad back and the comfort of the vehicle is A+, I can ride in her for hours. She is a beauty to look at and the body style is very stylish. There is plenty of leg-room for four and the tailgate is a breeze. I take very good care of her because I wish to keep her for years and she wants to look as good as she drives. My only complaint would be the navigation system, it's not user friendly, in fact I hope that VW has upgraded that."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Great road car, comfortable, sharp and spacious"

Cons: "Underpowered in V6, interior paint rubs off"

"I have owned two Touaregs. They are great vehicles, especially if you understand what owning a German car is like. They are sturdy, rugged and reliable, but you should be prepared for some maintenance. The only drawback I have encountered is the underpowered V6 drivetrain. Both of my Touareg's have been V6 and it is simply a heavy beast to only run with a V6. If I ever get another, it will be the V8 version."

Most Fun to Drive Car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Very capable off-roader"

Cons: "Super Expensive to maintain"

"I bought this vehicle to off-road, and it did not disappoint. What did disappoint is the constant electrical difficulties, notably computer control modules that have failed."

Short and sweet

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Capability, Handling, Drive quality, fit"

Cons: "quirky gear ratios, V6 is underpowered...go V8"

"The Touareg is my first VW and was an incredible surprise. The fit and finish of this true SUV is right up there with BMW and Audi. The drive quality is as well, and is far superior to any of the Japanese counterparts. It does city, snow, highway and dirt equally well. Long drives and short, this is my favorite SUV by far. It has aged like fine wine too. Most pwople can't believe that it is a 2005 when they ride in it. Reliability has been great except minor electronic hickups which were cured easily by dealer. I liked the V6 when test driving, but the V8 is far superior and is what the engineers meant for this car to be equipped with. My only gripe is the gear ratios, but I can avoid the strange shift points by putting it into the steptronic shifting mode and doing it my self."

Solid Luxury Performer

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "great handling, solid, safe performer"

Cons: "stupid battery location, some int trim - cheap"

"Yes, when the parts go, they are expensive - don't buy a German, luxury SUV if you can't afford to shell out for expensive parts. But this car is solid, safe and rides VERY well. It has the turning radius of my Mazda Miata (okay, almost) and takes turns like a champ on winding roads. In the five years we've had it - one tire sensor and the ac fan had to be replaced. That's it and it's now getting on seven years old. Very happy with it. Period. Gave it lower marks for value because of the expense - but I don't think any luxury car is a good 'value' - if you want value, don't buy luxury."

Love the T-reg

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pros: "Drives like a much smaller car. Unique."

Cons: "German parts are good but expensive."

"I love this SUV. It has great style it doesn't look like every other SUV on the road. 4X4 skills with the comfort of much more expensive rides. SO much technology at work and works so well you don't notice it. Well until you drive some other car and dont have them. The all wheel drive is great in snow, mud, sand. I am never stopped. Lots of room in the trunk, and roof rack for those times when its needed. They are expensive to fix, but show me a BMW, AUDI, Land Rover, Jag, or Jeep Grand Cherokee that is cheap to fix??? If you have a heavy suv and want to stop on a dime then don't complain when your brembo breaks need replacing."

My best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"I have had a lot of vehicles, evrything from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc. This has been my most favorite thus far. This is my second Touareg, first was an '04 V6, this one is an '05 V8 with air suspension. I love the air suspension and won't have one without it. I gave it only 4-stars for performance mainly because it is too heavy to provide really sharp handling and gets bad gas mileage. It does have a great ride which is a fair tradeoff for the handling. It has been absolutly reliable too. Better than any other vehicle I have had."

Average car

By on Saturday, August 01, 2009

"For the money not happy with this car. I was told to expect around 20 mpg. Actually came in at around 15. Lots of computer problems with the car which were under warranty. I got rid of the car after the lease was up. Without a warranty expect to pay lots of minor costs. Hard on brakes also. Otherwise the car ran ok."

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"awesome truck! unbelievable gas milage for the size and, amazing ride quality! ALTHOUGH v6 could use a little more pep!"

Don't purchase - Lease! Read This!!!

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Bought V6 2004 in Mar. 04. No air suspension. It's the greatest driving SUV ever; power, smooth, features, quiet, off-road (we nick-named our 9/10 mi long driveway the luge-run for it's winter conditions); the low-range and descent control were amazing. BUT...it's love / hate. MPG is 14-19 at best, conservative drivers. Tires were worn out in under 15k. Many many minor issues the dealers (4) could not fix. Then the final blow...time to sell; no one (and I mean No One!!) will buy it for more than ACV..(read this as $4K below wholesale). So, after all the trouble the car caused, it was a financial bust. DO NOT PURCHASE A TOUAREG..LEASE ONE IF YOU WANT. THERE IS NO EQUITY IN A USED TOUAREG!!!!!!"