• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2007 Volkswagen Touareg

7.8

Based on 279 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

After 130,000 miles tight and solid as if new

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "tight as new"

Cons: "get pwr seat passenger side"

"Have owned many 4wd's. This is the best one for solid construction ---drives like it is new after 130,000 miles."

I love my Toureg,it's ,best car ever

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Fuel mileage"

"I love everything about it,performance,style,legroom comfort stereo"

75,000 miles and the engine blew up.

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Looks good, rides good"

Cons: "money pit, not durable"

"We bought it used and did all the maintenance. Replaced front and rear brakes and both headlights. Very disappointed in what was supposed to be a durable well built car."

I kiss my extended warranty every week.

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "560 lb ft..of ungodly torque"

Cons: "expensive to fix."

"I bought used 2006 V10 a year ago. It spent almost a month in a dealership getting various fixes. Luckily, previous owner bought bumper to bumper transferable extended warranty. Without it, it would have cost me approximately $10,000 to fix up the car. That is the extent of all the negatives. Other than that, this SUV rocks… I pull 30 ft camping trailer. I used to pull it with 5.7L V8 truck and did not like it at all. It did pull OK but hated gassing up every 2.5 hours. I also hated bumpy and noisy ride of truck. Also I just could not live with a truck as a daily driver. This small SUV pulls it like a champ. Thanks to 560 lb-ft of torque, only way to make this car downshift is to floor the gas on highway, while going uphill and towing a trailer. On highway, this thing is a rocket. 0-60 at 7.5 isn’t all that fast but 0-30 and highway passing acceleration is just phenomenal. Also thanks to air suspension, this thing also ride like Lexus LS430 I used to have. Basically, this thing ride like my Lexus LS430, pulls better than 5.7L V8 truck and pass better than many sports cars. But all that will cost you. I am so glad I have my extended warranty for another 4 years and 30,000 miles. I am getting a daily driver so I won’t run out of my warranty soon. I work for a car company and I owned/leased 19 cars in last 20 year. By far, this is the best car I ever owned."

Love this car

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Everything except"

Cons: "the gas mileage"

"Drove this car off the lot in 2006....I never, ever had one regret!! Love everything about this car, except the gas mileage on this very fast V8. It's beautiful, safe, well equipped, Sexy and drives like a slot car! Looking forward to the new Touareg TDI"

Once warranty expires very expensive to maintain

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Best SUV out there"

Cons: "Maintanence is very very expensive."

"I have bought many suvs New... RR Supercharged, Nissan Murano, Acura MDX, another RR back in 1990. This VW is as good as the 06 new RR I bought. I like the sensors better then rear view camera. Over all its the best SUV I have ever had. I have rattles from back seat. I will find them and address them. otherwise it is as good as new. feels secure, powerful. You need to be ready to pay rediculaus amounts of money to keep it tip top after warranty expires. So I decided to keep it. I would rather spend a lot of money to keep this top shelf SUV rather then trade it in and have another 30k instalment loan...and for what? It wont be a better car... This one is like new already..."

Uncommon Quality and Driveability

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Does everything in style, Safety, Handeling"

Cons: "Stop & Go City Driving Gulps Fuel"

"The Touareg TDI is, in all aspects, a standout vehicle of uncommon build quality. Having said that, it's not the best choice for a non-engaged owner/driver. If you're looking for strictly a grocery getter and/or don't enjoy keeping your vehicles properly maintained, the Touareg might not be for you. (This is a serious driver's machine.) Prior to purchasing my TDI Touareg, I was driving Audis (A6 & A4)for the past 13 years. I can honestly report that driving the Touareg is very much akin to driving a huge Audi A6. The fun-to-drive factor is actually a toss-up when comparing the Touareg to the A6 I consider my Touareg as an APV (all purpose vehicle). You can arrive at the symphony in black tie one night and the next day, you could be navigating a high country back road heading to your secret fishing spot. This rig does it all! The MPG with the TDI is very impressive, with drivers reporting well over the EPA estimates. The power is more than ample and power delivery is smooth and immediate. So far, the only problems have been extremely minor (light bulbs and computer reset etc.) and were covered under warranty. I plan to keep this Touareg for the rest of my days or until the wheels fall -- whichever occurs first. One note for folks who may be considering a Touareg. If your plans include serious off-road operation, you might want to look at a low millage 2010 or older Touareg so you will have the selectable low-range 4Xmotion capability and locking rear differential. This was discontinued in the 2011 and newer Touaregs. Check-out the YouTubes on the Touareg's off-road prowess."

awesome suv

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, price on used market"

Cons: "premium fuel required"

"On my 2nd Touareg and totally love these. The driving dynamics are the same as a car. V8 has great power and mpg is not much worse than V6 version. Very nice luxury and amenities also. Reliability has been great, but I also keep up with maintenance schedule religiously. I believe any vehicle that is well maintained and not abused can be reliable and last a long time. Although one must be aware that this vehicle with the V8 will cost a little bit more to maintain than a Honda or Toyota. Drive them back to back and you'd understand why I've owned 2 of these and 12 VW/Audi vehicles in total through the years."

Best Car I have owned

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "big"

"comfortable, reliable, fun to drive"

Could be great

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

"Great SUV, everything is good except the following: Axle broke around 30,000 miles, good thing it was under warranty.... Coolant Warning came on around 58,000, good thing we BOUGHT warranty! Replaced four brake light bulbs, $38 each. On the other hand, I love: THe driving and handling on a normal day and/ or in a Colorado Blizzard. My T-Rex is one of the only cars running on the road during the past storms and blizzard that we've had. extremley safe because of the weight and the number of air bags that it has."

See if you qualify for