2006 Volkswagen Touareg

7.8

Based on 295 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

Short and sweet

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Capability, Handling, Drive quality, fit"

Cons: "quirky gear ratios, V6 is underpowered...go V8"

"The Touareg is my first VW and was an incredible surprise. The fit and finish of this true SUV is right up there with BMW and Audi. The drive quality is as well, and is far superior to any of the Japanese counterparts. It does city, snow, highway and dirt equally well. Long drives and short, this is my favorite SUV by far. It has aged like fine wine too. Most pwople can't believe that it is a 2005 when they ride in it. Reliability has been great except minor electronic hickups which were cured easily by dealer. I liked the V6 when test driving, but the V8 is far superior and is what the engineers meant for this car to be equipped with. My only gripe is the gear ratios, but I can avoid the strange shift points by putting it into the steptronic shifting mode and doing it my self."

Solid Luxury Performer

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "great handling, solid, safe performer"

Cons: "stupid battery location, some int trim - cheap"

"Yes, when the parts go, they are expensive - don't buy a German, luxury SUV if you can't afford to shell out for expensive parts. But this car is solid, safe and rides VERY well. It has the turning radius of my Mazda Miata (okay, almost) and takes turns like a champ on winding roads. In the five years we've had it - one tire sensor and the ac fan had to be replaced. That's it and it's now getting on seven years old. Very happy with it. Period. Gave it lower marks for value because of the expense - but I don't think any luxury car is a good 'value' - if you want value, don't buy luxury."

My best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"I have had a lot of vehicles, evrything from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc. This has been my most favorite thus far. This is my second Touareg, first was an '04 V6, this one is an '05 V8 with air suspension. I love the air suspension and won't have one without it. I gave it only 4-stars for performance mainly because it is too heavy to provide really sharp handling and gets bad gas mileage. It does have a great ride which is a fair tradeoff for the handling. It has been absolutly reliable too. Better than any other vehicle I have had."

Superb Vehicle!

By on Saturday, July 7, 2007

"Best SUV, Period! Incredible power, ride quality and performance, both on and off road. Accelleration is awesome; it is extremely quiet and comfortable on highway, and looks stunning (I have Reflex Silver). Only down side is the poor fuel economy - but hey, for a nearly 7000lb vehicle, with full time 4WD and a hungry V8, What would you expect?!! Duh! Don't buy this if you are concerned about gas milage. (I get a little less than the 14/18MPG advertised by VW, probably due to my lead foot). If you're looking for a reliable, real "Trail-Worthy" 4WD that can also run on the "Autobahn" with ease, Toureg is the choice! Recommend the V8!"

Love the T-reg

By on Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pros: "Drives like a much smaller car. Unique."

Cons: "German parts are good but expensive."

"I love this SUV. It has great style it doesn't look like every other SUV on the road. 4X4 skills with the comfort of much more expensive rides. SO much technology at work and works so well you don't notice it. Well until you drive some other car and dont have them. The all wheel drive is great in snow, mud, sand. I am never stopped. Lots of room in the trunk, and roof rack for those times when its needed. They are expensive to fix, but show me a BMW, AUDI, Land Rover, Jag, or Jeep Grand Cherokee that is cheap to fix??? If you have a heavy suv and want to stop on a dime then don't complain when your brembo breaks need replacing."