• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2006 Volkswagen Touareg

7.8

Based on 279 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

If you need a beast to tow in style and comfort...

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "High quality. built to last"

Cons: "never saw a gas station it didn't like"

"Heavy AWD vehicle uses fuel, not a surprise. Great brakes, high quality components. Has held up remarkably well here in central NYS where salted winter roads have caused lesser vehicles to dissolve like the candy coating on an M&M. Not so with the Touareg..after a detaling she still can be mistaken for almost new after 112000 miles. Repairs can be costly as it is a complex vehicle, but these gen 1's were so overbuilt. Same platform as Porsche Cayanne or Audi Q7. The 4.2 v8 is Audi and bullet proof. Huge brembo brakes. Springs,suspension and exhaust unphased by 100K miles."

Best feature is NO 3rd Row....

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Better than a Pickup Truck."

Cons: "Too few colors offered."

"3rd Row Seats a waste. At most should be an option. Just dead weight for most people. Great Seats, and driver legroom. Plus no gps, no radar and no camera. A drivers SUV. Minimal gadgetry. Less is more."

Best Driving Car Available

By on Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pros: "Love all about it"

Cons: "Not available with all features or options after 2"

"Best driven car in the world"

Great auto, hard on gas but good performance.

By on Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pros: "Looks, performance, easy to drive,"

Cons: "Very heavy car, can use a lot of gas."

"This is a great car for the money. Rides and drives very well. Good performance and light on the foot can get 17 city and 22 over the road. Hard on the foot it will use the gas. Prem recommended but use middle grade never have had a problem."

Solid & Still Looks Good after 10 years

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

"I considered trading this vehicle in when the fuel pumps failed at 150k miles but decided against it. Repairs on this vehicle are expensive, but I've only had maybe three major repairs in 10 years. I think I've driven the last 50k miles with no mechanical problems. This vehicle has 150k miles on it but it does not feel worn out at all. Its a V-8 engine. It handles great. Its very solid and I still like the way it looks after 10 years."

Good multi purpose vehicle

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "timeless and fucntional design"

Cons: "Needs plenty of premium fuel"

"Nice SUV with real off road capabilities that surprise hard core 4wd enthusiasts. Simultaneously, very comfortable and capable highway cruiser, with exceptional road manners also in curvy roads and tight secondary roads. In the city, it is relativley easy to park due to excellent turning radius, it is not a mini or GTI, but surpisingly agile for a 5000lbs vehicle. Excellent towing vehicle that effortlessly tows 5000lb trailers at full highway speeds even on hills and reasonable fuel consumption. Interior build quality and level of luxury are top notch. Negatives really only are fuel consumption in town and only a 5 seater. So far excellent reliability. Electronic warnings are frequent but largely reset themselves, maybe electronics are just a bit overly sensitive"

Great Car/SUV

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

Pros: "Style, performance, comfort, safety, reliability."

Cons: "Gas mileage."

"First off, if you're worried about gas mileage, you're looking at the wrong car. That's the only thing I can say negatively about my Touareg. Any European SUV in this category will be similar. The overall experience with this vehicle is great. Comfort, reliability, performance, off road capability, technology... all great. If you're living in an area with snowfall, this vehicle handles incredibly. Safe and strong in any weather. There's just something about a VW that grabs you and make you an enthusiast. I took my Touareg to the Outer Banks and drove it on the beach for a week... WOW!!! I passed a lot of BMWs that were stuck and even a few Jeeps!"

Competent On and Off Road

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "V8, Air Suspension, Low Range, Lockers, Lights"

Cons: "MPG's, Maintenance"

"I bought this car used with 27000 miles on it back in April of 2012. I can not stress how much I love this car. The only repair it ever needed was to replace the driveshaft. The car is solid and secure in everyway possible. I have had this car off in some pretty rough terrain and it felt just as solid as it does at over 100 mph. The interior is top notch. The leather in my LR4 and the 2012 ML Bluetech can not match up. Everytime I drive the car I love it more and more. The adjustable suspension and the low range are my favorite features. I will keep this car well over 100,000 miles. It may be expensive to maintain but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. I love it and the V8 power is amazing."

Incredible to Own, Amazing to Drive!

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

"PROS: There are too many to single out, but our 2005 VW Touareg has a timeless elegance to it's appearance that often shocks people to know that it's not a newer vehicle. The quality of the leather seats and the shine of the wood grain and chrome accents adds to it's incredibly luxurious interior. It has amazing handling and offers a sturdy drive. The incorporated in-dash cooler help keeping a cool bottled drink on-hand during long road trips, while the "thunk" to each closing door reminds the driver that there is a great level of sound proofing from outside distractions. We've weathered heavy snow and torrential rains with heavy winds in our VW without feeling "vulnerable". The Touareg holds it's own. It never rolls back on hills and proves it's reliability year after year. CONS: For anything worth having, it's worth having to upkeep. Routine maintenance on the Touareg is a little pricey, but with it, the reliability of the Touareg is hands down PRICELESS. OVERALL: There are so many great things to say about the Touareg, but it's performance and reliability outshines them all. Never had a cold morning where my Touareg didn't start. Never had an engine failure. Never been stranded. Never. Reliability and luxury with an amazing drive; anything else is immaterial."

electric failure aahhh

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "super comfortable seats,luxurious inside."

Cons: "to expensive for even simple upkeep"

"Beautiful car to look at but thats just about all you can do with it because the car is a GAS HOG!!! With the way gas prices are now adays its impossible to go anywhere.Also whole inside is electric,sounds kinda cool but actually pretty scary.It also has a electric system on the dash to tell you when somethings wrong with it.Not convienent when every five seconds somethings beeping saying its failing.Numerous times Ive been driving and it starts beeping telling me to pull over because the brakes failed.That is not actually the case my brakes are fine,but the system is faulty.ANNOYING and SCARY.I would only recommend if you have alot of money for upkeep,even a simple oil change turns out to be pricey."

See if you qualify for