2006 Volkswagen Touareg

7.8

Based on 283 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

Uncommon Quality and Driveability

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Does everything in style, Safety, Handeling"

Cons: "Stop & Go City Driving Gulps Fuel"

"The Touareg TDI is, in all aspects, a standout vehicle of uncommon build quality. Having said that, it's not the best choice for a non-engaged owner/driver. If you're looking for strictly a grocery getter and/or don't enjoy keeping your vehicles properly maintained, the Touareg might not be for you. (This is a serious driver's machine.) Prior to purchasing my TDI Touareg, I was driving Audis (A6 & A4)for the past 13 years. I can honestly report that driving the Touareg is very much akin to driving a huge Audi A6. The fun-to-drive factor is actually a toss-up when comparing the Touareg to the A6 I consider my Touareg as an APV (all purpose vehicle). You can arrive at the symphony in black tie one night and the next day, you could be navigating a high country back road heading to your secret fishing spot. This rig does it all! The MPG with the TDI is very impressive, with drivers reporting well over the EPA estimates. The power is more than ample and power delivery is smooth and immediate. So far, the only problems have been extremely minor (light bulbs and computer reset etc.) and were covered under warranty. I plan to keep this Touareg for the rest of my days or until the wheels fall -- whichever occurs first. One note for folks who may be considering a Touareg. If your plans include serious off-road operation, you might want to look at a low millage 2010 or older Touareg so you will have the selectable low-range 4Xmotion capability and locking rear differential. This was discontinued in the 2011 and newer Touaregs. Check-out the YouTubes on the Touareg's off-road prowess."

awesome suv

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, price on used market"

Cons: "premium fuel required"

"On my 2nd Touareg and totally love these. The driving dynamics are the same as a car. V8 has great power and mpg is not much worse than V6 version. Very nice luxury and amenities also. Reliability has been great, but I also keep up with maintenance schedule religiously. I believe any vehicle that is well maintained and not abused can be reliable and last a long time. Although one must be aware that this vehicle with the V8 will cost a little bit more to maintain than a Honda or Toyota. Drive them back to back and you'd understand why I've owned 2 of these and 12 VW/Audi vehicles in total through the years."

Best Car I have owned

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "big"

"comfortable, reliable, fun to drive"

Could be great

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

"Great SUV, everything is good except the following: Axle broke around 30,000 miles, good thing it was under warranty.... Coolant Warning came on around 58,000, good thing we BOUGHT warranty! Replaced four brake light bulbs, $38 each. On the other hand, I love: THe driving and handling on a normal day and/ or in a Colorado Blizzard. My T-Rex is one of the only cars running on the road during the past storms and blizzard that we've had. extremley safe because of the weight and the number of air bags that it has."

If you need a beast to tow in style and comfort...

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "High quality. built to last"

Cons: "never saw a gas station it didn't like"

"Heavy AWD vehicle uses fuel, not a surprise. Great brakes, high quality components. Has held up remarkably well here in central NYS where salted winter roads have caused lesser vehicles to dissolve like the candy coating on an M&M. Not so with the Touareg..after a detaling she still can be mistaken for almost new after 112000 miles. Repairs can be costly as it is a complex vehicle, but these gen 1's were so overbuilt. Same platform as Porsche Cayanne or Audi Q7. The 4.2 v8 is Audi and bullet proof. Huge brembo brakes. Springs,suspension and exhaust unphased by 100K miles."