2005 Volkswagen Touareg

7.8

Based on 294 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

Incredible to Own, Amazing to Drive!

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

"PROS: There are too many to single out, but our 2005 VW Touareg has a timeless elegance to it's appearance that often shocks people to know that it's not a newer vehicle. The quality of the leather seats and the shine of the wood grain and chrome accents adds to it's incredibly luxurious interior. It has amazing handling and offers a sturdy drive. The incorporated in-dash cooler help keeping a cool bottled drink on-hand during long road trips, while the "thunk" to each closing door reminds the driver that there is a great level of sound proofing from outside distractions. We've weathered heavy snow and torrential rains with heavy winds in our VW without feeling "vulnerable". The Touareg holds it's own. It never rolls back on hills and proves it's reliability year after year. CONS: For anything worth having, it's worth having to upkeep. Routine maintenance on the Touareg is a little pricey, but with it, the reliability of the Touareg is hands down PRICELESS. OVERALL: There are so many great things to say about the Touareg, but it's performance and reliability outshines them all. Never had a cold morning where my Touareg didn't start. Never had an engine failure. Never been stranded. Never. Reliability and luxury with an amazing drive; anything else is immaterial."

Solid & Still Looks Good after 10 years

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

"I considered trading this vehicle in when the fuel pumps failed at 150k miles but decided against it. Repairs on this vehicle are expensive, but I've only had maybe three major repairs in 10 years. I think I've driven the last 50k miles with no mechanical problems. This vehicle has 150k miles on it but it does not feel worn out at all. Its a V-8 engine. It handles great. Its very solid and I still like the way it looks after 10 years."

Most comfortable, smooth and reliable ever

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "LOVE the way she corners, even at high speeds."

Cons: "Navigation is not good"

"I LOVE my Touareg 2! I have never once had any kind of issue with it. I have a very bad back and the comfort of the vehicle is A+, I can ride in her for hours. She is a beauty to look at and the body style is very stylish. There is plenty of leg-room for four and the tailgate is a breeze. I take very good care of her because I wish to keep her for years and she wants to look as good as she drives. My only complaint would be the navigation system, it's not user friendly, in fact I hope that VW has upgraded that."

Excelent Vehical

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Great handaling and acceleration"

Cons: "Gas Milage, costly maintenance"

"Hate to get rid of it, but with the cost of gass and over 105k miles not worth the cost of up keep. Need to go to a VW specialist to do basic oul change as franchised oil change locations will not deal with it."

Most Fun to Drive Car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Very capable off-roader"

Cons: "Super Expensive to maintain"

"I bought this vehicle to off-road, and it did not disappoint. What did disappoint is the constant electrical difficulties, notably computer control modules that have failed."

Great car

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

"Change the oil very 7500 miles. This car runs and runs"

Love my car- expensive to maintain

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

"I absolutely love my car- I love the look of it and how it drives. It is however very expensive to maintain- the parts expensive and have to take it in to do something as simple as change a headlight bc these cars are complicated to work on."

Better than expected

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"It appears that a lot of 2004 Touareg owners have had problems. That was 4 years ago and I think VW has addressed the problems and have solidified the model. I traded an 04 Audi A4 for this 6 months ago and love it. Very comfortable and great handling for a big car. No problems in 7k miles. As far as fuel mileage I can only compare it to the V6 A4 I had. In that car I averaged about 16 mpg in town, about the same as the Touareg. In the A4 I also had to do brakes and tires every 20k miles (like many Touareg owners have commented). I think it is just the nature of AWD. But I don't get stuck in deep snow and I don't have to worry when going down those old roads to find a great fishing spot."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Great road car, comfortable, sharp and spacious"

Cons: "Underpowered in V6, interior paint rubs off"

"I have owned two Touaregs. They are great vehicles, especially if you understand what owning a German car is like. They are sturdy, rugged and reliable, but you should be prepared for some maintenance. The only drawback I have encountered is the underpowered V6 drivetrain. Both of my Touareg's have been V6 and it is simply a heavy beast to only run with a V6. If I ever get another, it will be the V8 version."

Short and sweet

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Capability, Handling, Drive quality, fit"

Cons: "quirky gear ratios, V6 is underpowered...go V8"

"The Touareg is my first VW and was an incredible surprise. The fit and finish of this true SUV is right up there with BMW and Audi. The drive quality is as well, and is far superior to any of the Japanese counterparts. It does city, snow, highway and dirt equally well. Long drives and short, this is my favorite SUV by far. It has aged like fine wine too. Most pwople can't believe that it is a 2005 when they ride in it. Reliability has been great except minor electronic hickups which were cured easily by dealer. I liked the V6 when test driving, but the V8 is far superior and is what the engineers meant for this car to be equipped with. My only gripe is the gear ratios, but I can avoid the strange shift points by putting it into the steptronic shifting mode and doing it my self."

Solid Luxury Performer

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "great handling, solid, safe performer"

Cons: "stupid battery location, some int trim - cheap"

"Yes, when the parts go, they are expensive - don't buy a German, luxury SUV if you can't afford to shell out for expensive parts. But this car is solid, safe and rides VERY well. It has the turning radius of my Mazda Miata (okay, almost) and takes turns like a champ on winding roads. In the five years we've had it - one tire sensor and the ac fan had to be replaced. That's it and it's now getting on seven years old. Very happy with it. Period. Gave it lower marks for value because of the expense - but I don't think any luxury car is a good 'value' - if you want value, don't buy luxury."

Sweet ride all around. GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "fun, practical yet luxurious, durable, sleak, parkable, powerful"

Cons: "maintenance, gas mileage"

"First things first: The extended warranty saved me so much money. Like any nice VW, Qudi, Porsche, etc with Bosh electronics and turbo engine, it requires care and things go wrong. They were all electrical and minor for me, therefore it is reliable ont he road. Overall, this car is amazing comfortable on long trips, drives like an Audi (I owned an A6), handles like a champ in the snow and dirt, and can park anywhere (not a large annoying SUB). Every luxury about this car makes it worth the buy. I recommend this for anyone with 4x4 needs who likes to drive a real luxury car and really enjoy the road."

Superb Vehicle!

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"Best SUV, Period! Incredible power, ride quality and performance, both on and off road. Accelleration is awesome; it is extremely quiet and comfortable on highway, and looks stunning (I have Reflex Silver). Only down side is the poor fuel economy - but hey, for a nearly 7000lb vehicle, with full time 4WD and a hungry V8, What would you expect?!! Duh! Don't buy this if you are concerned about gas milage. (I get a little less than the 14/18MPG advertised by VW, probably due to my lead foot). If you're looking for a reliable, real "Trail-Worthy" 4WD that can also run on the "Autobahn" with ease, Toureg is the choice! Recommend the V8!"

Love the T-reg

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pros: "Drives like a much smaller car. Unique."

Cons: "German parts are good but expensive."

"I love this SUV. It has great style it doesn't look like every other SUV on the road. 4X4 skills with the comfort of much more expensive rides. SO much technology at work and works so well you don't notice it. Well until you drive some other car and dont have them. The all wheel drive is great in snow, mud, sand. I am never stopped. Lots of room in the trunk, and roof rack for those times when its needed. They are expensive to fix, but show me a BMW, AUDI, Land Rover, Jag, or Jeep Grand Cherokee that is cheap to fix??? If you have a heavy suv and want to stop on a dime then don't complain when your brembo breaks need replacing."

My best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"I have had a lot of vehicles, evrything from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc. This has been my most favorite thus far. This is my second Touareg, first was an '04 V6, this one is an '05 V8 with air suspension. I love the air suspension and won't have one without it. I gave it only 4-stars for performance mainly because it is too heavy to provide really sharp handling and gets bad gas mileage. It does have a great ride which is a fair tradeoff for the handling. It has been absolutly reliable too. Better than any other vehicle I have had."

Average car

By on Saturday, August 01, 2009

"For the money not happy with this car. I was told to expect around 20 mpg. Actually came in at around 15. Lots of computer problems with the car which were under warranty. I got rid of the car after the lease was up. Without a warranty expect to pay lots of minor costs. Hard on brakes also. Otherwise the car ran ok."

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"awesome truck! unbelievable gas milage for the size and, amazing ride quality! ALTHOUGH v6 could use a little more pep!"

Don't purchase - Lease! Read This!!!

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Bought V6 2004 in Mar. 04. No air suspension. It's the greatest driving SUV ever; power, smooth, features, quiet, off-road (we nick-named our 9/10 mi long driveway the luge-run for it's winter conditions); the low-range and descent control were amazing. BUT...it's love / hate. MPG is 14-19 at best, conservative drivers. Tires were worn out in under 15k. Many many minor issues the dealers (4) could not fix. Then the final blow...time to sell; no one (and I mean No One!!) will buy it for more than ACV..(read this as $4K below wholesale). So, after all the trouble the car caused, it was a financial bust. DO NOT PURCHASE A TOUAREG..LEASE ONE IF YOU WANT. THERE IS NO EQUITY IN A USED TOUAREG!!!!!!"

German Handling But Be Wise

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Pluses: Best auto for winter driving on snow and ice that I've owned. Very quiet, stable, fast, and safe. Great sound. Very comfortable for front passengers. What you expect from German manufacturing (i.e., drivability outstanding - interior ergonomics and electrical design inferior to Japanese). Minuses: Worse than average mpg and electrically quirky at times (annoying bells and warning signals). We've had this vehicle in for warranty work many times, and now after 3 years, we have not had to return to the shop for anything but routine service in the past 12 months. Heavy vehicle that requires new tires every 15K-20K miles. Somewhat small for second row passengers if older than 12 years old. Overall, vehicle could be improved in many areas for the $40K price tag new, but a used Touareg would be a very good value."

best car I have ever owned.

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "smooth, comfortable, powerful, great control"

"It is fast, smooth and quiet. The control on the road is better than the Range Rover I owned before this car. I have never had a problem with the car and have maintained it regularly."

nice highway car and pretty good off roader

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

"Excellent highway cruiser, but the V8 is pretty thirsty at anything over 75mph (18mpg) , and in town (12-14mpg). Is heavy and feels that way, albeit never truck like, ride is well controlled and smooth, breaks at high speed are excellent, very good road manners also in fairly tight successive curves. Drives very well above 80mph, excellent stability and breaking is powerful under all circumstances. Rides due to long wheel base is excellent on bumpy roads, no jittering. Good off road capability, in spite of tires not really suited for the purpose, climbs over most rocks easily and does surprisingly well through mud pit thanks to Torsen central diff and electronic wheel spin control. Overall a great compromise of quite serious off roader and great highway ride."

A good solid auto

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "good ride"

Cons: "expensive to maintain"

"Initially had electrical problems. Maintenance is expensive. Has a great ride and I feel safe when diving it."

U find out what value isn't

By on Sunday, February 15, 2009

"This is one of the best vehicles to drive. The turning radius is awesome, good power, fun features and gadgets, sleek design, sound system is excellent, and it feels safe like a small tank. But the gas mileage is horrendous and maintenance costs are for rich people. Brakes $1400 .. tires $1000 every 15,000 miles. The worst part is repair cost. I have a philosophy... the repairs can be expensive as long as your car rarely needs repair. This VW will definitedly need repair and therein lies the problem. Even if the warranty is intact who wants to spend all month in a repair shop. Overall this vehicle is simply not worth the costs of ownwership."

An Enjoyable Drive

By on Friday, December 12, 2008

"Despite what some of the reviews may say, my 2004 V8 Touareg has been a joy to drive. The only maintenance issues I've had were 2 recalls in the last 4 years. The car outperforms the competition hands down. The gas mileage is what I expected from a V8, approximately 16 in the city and 18 on the highway. When looking at vehicles touting better mileage I notice even the 6 cylinder SUV only state 20 mpg. This to me is not enough of a difference to give up the performance and quality the V8 offers. This car deserves a serious consideration if you're looking for a luxury SUV at a fair price."

One of the top SUV's

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I have been extremely impressed with this vehicle. It is a high performance, very off-road capable machine, with a tow capacity of 7700lbs. The comfort level and quality of materials and fit and finish is second to none. With navigation, air suspension, keyless start, keyless entry, 4 person climate control, 4 person heated seats and steering wheel.......this vehicle is one of the top luxury SUV's in my book."