2004 Volkswagen Touareg

7.8

Based on 292 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

My best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"I have had a lot of vehicles, evrything from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc. This has been my most favorite thus far. This is my second Touareg, first was an '04 V6, this one is an '05 V8 with air suspension. I love the air suspension and won't have one without it. I gave it only 4-stars for performance mainly because it is too heavy to provide really sharp handling and gets bad gas mileage. It does have a great ride which is a fair tradeoff for the handling. It has been absolutly reliable too. Better than any other vehicle I have had."

Average car

By on Saturday, August 01, 2009

"For the money not happy with this car. I was told to expect around 20 mpg. Actually came in at around 15. Lots of computer problems with the car which were under warranty. I got rid of the car after the lease was up. Without a warranty expect to pay lots of minor costs. Hard on brakes also. Otherwise the car ran ok."

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"awesome truck! unbelievable gas milage for the size and, amazing ride quality! ALTHOUGH v6 could use a little more pep!"

Don't purchase - Lease! Read This!!!

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Bought V6 2004 in Mar. 04. No air suspension. It's the greatest driving SUV ever; power, smooth, features, quiet, off-road (we nick-named our 9/10 mi long driveway the luge-run for it's winter conditions); the low-range and descent control were amazing. BUT...it's love / hate. MPG is 14-19 at best, conservative drivers. Tires were worn out in under 15k. Many many minor issues the dealers (4) could not fix. Then the final blow...time to sell; no one (and I mean No One!!) will buy it for more than ACV..(read this as $4K below wholesale). So, after all the trouble the car caused, it was a financial bust. DO NOT PURCHASE A TOUAREG..LEASE ONE IF YOU WANT. THERE IS NO EQUITY IN A USED TOUAREG!!!!!!"

German Handling But Be Wise

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Pluses: Best auto for winter driving on snow and ice that I've owned. Very quiet, stable, fast, and safe. Great sound. Very comfortable for front passengers. What you expect from German manufacturing (i.e., drivability outstanding - interior ergonomics and electrical design inferior to Japanese). Minuses: Worse than average mpg and electrically quirky at times (annoying bells and warning signals). We've had this vehicle in for warranty work many times, and now after 3 years, we have not had to return to the shop for anything but routine service in the past 12 months. Heavy vehicle that requires new tires every 15K-20K miles. Somewhat small for second row passengers if older than 12 years old. Overall, vehicle could be improved in many areas for the $40K price tag new, but a used Touareg would be a very good value."

Most comfortable, smooth and reliable ever

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "LOVE the way she corners, even at high speeds."

Cons: "Navigation is not good"

"I LOVE my Touareg 2! I have never once had any kind of issue with it. I have a very bad back and the comfort of the vehicle is A+, I can ride in her for hours. She is a beauty to look at and the body style is very stylish. There is plenty of leg-room for four and the tailgate is a breeze. I take very good care of her because I wish to keep her for years and she wants to look as good as she drives. My only complaint would be the navigation system, it's not user friendly, in fact I hope that VW has upgraded that."

best car I have ever owned.

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "smooth, comfortable, powerful, great control"

"It is fast, smooth and quiet. The control on the road is better than the Range Rover I owned before this car. I have never had a problem with the car and have maintained it regularly."

nice highway car and pretty good off roader

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

"Excellent highway cruiser, but the V8 is pretty thirsty at anything over 75mph (18mpg) , and in town (12-14mpg). Is heavy and feels that way, albeit never truck like, ride is well controlled and smooth, breaks at high speed are excellent, very good road manners also in fairly tight successive curves. Drives very well above 80mph, excellent stability and breaking is powerful under all circumstances. Rides due to long wheel base is excellent on bumpy roads, no jittering. Good off road capability, in spite of tires not really suited for the purpose, climbs over most rocks easily and does surprisingly well through mud pit thanks to Torsen central diff and electronic wheel spin control. Overall a great compromise of quite serious off roader and great highway ride."

A good solid auto

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "good ride"

Cons: "expensive to maintain"

"Initially had electrical problems. Maintenance is expensive. Has a great ride and I feel safe when diving it."

U find out what value isn't

By on Sunday, February 15, 2009

"This is one of the best vehicles to drive. The turning radius is awesome, good power, fun features and gadgets, sleek design, sound system is excellent, and it feels safe like a small tank. But the gas mileage is horrendous and maintenance costs are for rich people. Brakes $1400 .. tires $1000 every 15,000 miles. The worst part is repair cost. I have a philosophy... the repairs can be expensive as long as your car rarely needs repair. This VW will definitedly need repair and therein lies the problem. Even if the warranty is intact who wants to spend all month in a repair shop. Overall this vehicle is simply not worth the costs of ownwership."