2014 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,967 - $22,054.

10/7.4

8.4

Based on 130 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Luv my 1st VW

By on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"I was growing ever so tired of calling on friends any time I wanted to buy something that wouldn't fit in my car. As a homeowner it got even worse as I couldn't even get an 8 foot piece of trim in my car. Not to mention the multiple problems my '03 Accord was beginning to develop like broken stability control sensors, broken automatic window motors and more. So I decided to go car shopping. I wanted a small SUV/Crossover. I started with Ford as I liked my friend's Escape when I drove it. However, I truly wanted to take the time and ensure I was getting the proper vehicle. Anyway, I was almost sold on the CR-V. This was mainly because my brother works for Honda (assembling the CR-V actually), but thankfully the dealer didn't have a color scheme I was willing to walk off the lot with. In talking to a friend he asked if I had test drove the Tiguan. I hadn't as I had never even heard of it. I liked the overall design. I didn't feel "girly" in it as I did the CR-V, and even before driving I was amazed at the overall feel of the car. It is solid! I mean it really made the CR-V feel cheap. I was sold with the drive. It was soooo smooth and quiet. Even before test driving the Tiguan, I was shocked at how noisy the CR-V was especially on the highway(sorry to compare this mostly to the CR-V, but it is the model I almost bought before visiting the VW dealer). No such noisy experience with the Tiguan that is for sure. Well long story short I left the dealers lot 11 months ago now with a Tiguan and I haven't had one regret yet. It is the first brand new car I've ever owned (I have had mostly Honda's and BMW's in the past) that hasn't had one single problem before reaching 5,000 miles. I am almost at 10,000 now and still runs perfect without one defective sensor, indicator or anything else ever. Granted at 10K miles it is still practically brand new, but I have grown to expect even a minor problem even with a brand new car. Overall this car is solid, quiet, confortable and an overall pleasure to drive. While not quite as stick the road sporty as my BMW 3 series I owned, the closest thing I can compare my 25K Tiguan to in driving experience would be my 36K 3-series. The ride and drive this car delivers TROUNCES anything its class an price range. I will gaurantee that. The one comment I also hear from friends who I let drive my Tiguan is "Wow, this car is so smooth". Compared to anything in its class and price range it definitely is. Do not buy a small SUV/Crossover without at least test driving this vehicle. You will not be sorry you did. I do have one complaint though. Gas mileage while fairly comparable isn't that great. Hello Volkswagen, I want a diesel engine! Quote from the VW dealer when I was shopping and I asked him if it came in a diesel..."If it came in a diesel, I wouldn't be able to keep them on my lot".....Uhm, isn't that what you want as car manufacturer? BIO-DIESEL engine getting 40 to 50 MPG, then I will be truly be a VW fanboy!"

Great little SUV

By on Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pros: "Zippy motor, solid build quality, VW quirkiness"

Cons: "Premium Gas, no automatic lights, no dual climate"

"I traded "down" from an 08 Acura MDX. I lost a few creature features by getting the Tiguan SE. (Power seats, mirrors that tilt down in reverse, automatic lights) I gained a fun driving little car. It handles incredibly well and puts a smile on your face around town or on the highway. Features: The controls are a touch on the complicated (AkA German) side but once you are used to them you find an oddly logical layout. The Navigation screen is tiny but serviceable and the stereo controls not intuitive. AMAZING Panoramic Roof! On the other hand the stereo sounds great and is full of great features, steaming blue tooth, MDI connection, Sirius/XM. The seats are very comfortable and supportive and over all love driving it. Function: Space is limited but functional. It is far smaller than my MDX but it is all I need. Rear seats are easy to fold down and the backseat legroom is surprisingly good. So far mileage has been higher than rated. I am averaging 27 in a blend of city and highway over the week I have owned the car. Fun to drive and a bit of a rare car on the road so you don't see one every 10 feet (like my MDX) Summary: You get back more than you give up by downsizing. Enough features, enough room and more than enough power in a small package."

Solid Crossover

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"An excellent VW product. With smart driving and mid grade gas I'm able to average 25 MPG in the city. The turbo can really get this baby moving and it sticks to the road. In fact to me it feels less like an SUV and more like my old VW Rabbit, but with mor pickup! I've taken it on a long trip, 1800 miles round trip with 2 other adults plus an infant. It carried us and all our gear in comfort. The base model has more than enough features and I'd recommend this to anyone looking at a crossover."

Great car with some annoying quirks

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, agile, great driving experience"

Cons: "Gas, bad navigation system, over-sensitive ABS"

"When I was shopping for cars, the most important thing to me was driveability - how did it feel when driving it. This was by far the best car I tested in what I was looking for (a compact SUV), and I do not regret my purchase. The car handles well and feels great to drive. There are some annoying quirks, mainly with the onboard system. Basically, the navigation system is terrible and the whole system is very unintuitive. I also find the anti-lock brake system to be WAY too sensitive - it kicks at least once a day, whenever I brake while driving on even a bit of gravel. The gas mileage isn't great, and I wish it didn't have to be premium, but I don't drive so much that it's a big consideration. Ultimately, in the areas that matter most, this car is excellent."

Great small CUV

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, top notch quality."

Cons: "Not as roomy as some; SEL has rides very firmly."

"Although the professional reviews ping it for not tops in space with the competition, I love the car specifically for its size and agility. It is easy to park in the city, and although it is shorter than most of the competitors, I have found that it has plenty of passenger room and space for hauling larger objects. The adjustable/reclining rear seat makes all of the difference. Most importantly, it drives much better than the competition. It's like a tall sports car. The car also has a quality feeling that the others in the class cannot match, and materials are a step above Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai. The Dynaudio stereo is top notch. Everything is has a solid feel. This car is more in line with an Audi, BMW or Volvo than a Toyota or Honda. I love it!"

I love my Tiguan!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "great value, sporty, full loaded, dependable"

"I owned a Ford Edge before purchasing my Tiguan last year and can only rave about my Tiguan. My Edge can't compare to the value I've found in this car. Although it only has a 4-cylinder compared to my 6-cyclinder Edge, it's lighter and sporty so I don't notice a decrease in power. The turbo can really get you where you need to be. I purchased my Tiguan for about $10,000 less than an Edge with all the same amentities. This car has been great and that's coming from a previous VW owner who swore never to own another VW after a terrible Jetta experience. My son asked me the other day if I'd get another Tiguan if something happened to the one I have now. I told him I'd absolutely make the same decision again to purchase a Tiguan. You can't beat the car for the money...not to mention the VW dealerships around here provide much better service than the Ford dealerships....I love my Tiguan and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great small SUV that's fully loaded."

quick and smooth

By on Saturday, October 17, 2009

"As a first time Volkswagen owner i must admit I did not choose this vehicle. My wife fell in love with the looks and small size while I was skeptical of the brand name compared to Honda. We now have 10,000 on this little machine and it has been a pleasure. Quick and sure footed, it drives out like a dream compared to the CRV. How will it do in the long-run? I don't know yet, but we have nothing but good things to say about this vehicle for now. It really is fun to drive. Ours is a 6speed auto 4-motion with panoramic sunroof and heated leather."

I love the experience of owning this car!

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "handling and acceleration"

Cons: "maintenance cost"

"excellent handling and pick up. good gas mileage for the acceleration provided. great for cruising the beach or driving in traffic. excellent on the highway. steering like nothing I have experienced. only con is that repairs and maintenance are more expensive."

I'm in love!

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "Handling, looks, comfortable, panoramic sun roof"

Cons: "nothing!"

"I've had my 2012 VW Tiguan SE 4motion for a little over a month and I love it! Just today I was stopped in a parking lot by three separate people to compliment me on how cute it is! I test drove the CC and felt like it was a little too fancy for me and the Passat felt a little too American to me (more like a Ford or Chevy). The Tiguan handles great, has a great look, and is comfortable. Can't wait to try it out this winter!"

2010 VW tiguan Wolfsburg 4 motion

By on Tuesday, September 07, 2010

"Excellent fit and finish. This small SUV has great power/acceleration. Handles super around corners. Few minor complaints would be to offer auto/on-off headlamps on all models not just SEL. Cargo space is tight but rear seats do move forward/aft 6 inches, which is needed. Do not overlook this SUV, give it a test drive. I have driven all SUV's in this segment and this is one of the best..."

Very Happy with 2013 SEL 4 Motion Tiguan

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Driving, handling , pick up and design"

Cons: "The Ride....rougher in the SEL series."

"We have about 1,200 miles on our Tiguan. The handling and driving is a 10. The exterior and Interior design is great, comfort seating is wonderful. We have the 4-Motion series (AWD) and it handles great in the snow. Fun to drive, great pick up and for passing !! The only negative I see is that the SEL series has a "sport" ride which is not as smooth as the SE or the S model. This is primarily due to the 19 inch tires/wheels on the SEL series. However, we still LOVE the vehicle. We liked it better than the Honda CRV , the Toyota RAV 4 and the Chevy Equinox. Has a 12 yr rust corrision warranty"

Very nice in city or on open highway

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "great acceleration and handling. FUN to drive"

Cons: "Premium gas, small storage area,"

"Low fatigue factor. Did very well in snow and ice, Low maintenance. Turbo makes this vehicle an excellent choice over competition."

1st VW, great ride, sporty, quick, stylish

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Sporty fun to drive"

Cons: "Average mileage, high maintenance costs"

"I leased my 2011 Tiguan SE with Panormaic roof and GPS and will be purchasing it. First off the upside: It is the nicest car I will have ever purchased. The ride is quiet on the freeway but can get mildly clunky on uneven surfaces. The leatherette seats are comfortable and easy to clean. The comfort is fantastic for a tall guy like me (6'5"). The handling and breaking is phenomenal! Excellent cornering, acceleration, and braking. Sport mode on curvy Sierra foothill highways is like a rollercoaster ride, better than any SUV I have ever driven and I have owned a few. I love the panoramic roof but the GPS is average often not reliably locating addresses and can be complicated to use. The 4motion is excellent in snow although the open wheel design can get packed with snow and cause a vibration comparable to a wheel out of balance. The downside: I had a bad fuse that melted in the fusebox slot after warranty but the VW dealer replaced free of charge anyway. I also had an intake manifild go bad at 30,000 miles that was covered under warranty. Mileage is averaging 23 per gallon, 19 city, 25 highway just as advertised. Not bad but there are many CUVs that have better. I had the free maintenance and once that was over I took it to a reputable local foreign car service for maintenance. I'd say the average service costs for a turbocharged VW is around $300-500 per 10,000 miles driven. That is not cheap but the car performs as good as the day I bought it. I'd recommend this car for the fun driving and comfort but will add that you should keep up on your maintenance if you want to avoid more expensive fixes and shop time."

Good, but....

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "AWD, design, safety"

Cons: "price,cargo space,fuel injectors,VW claim service"

"I've had this vehicle (4 motion AWD) for close to 3 years. I've been happy with the car and had no major incidents until 4 months ago when the fuel injector broke down and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn't under warranty i'd be out of ~6k. Filed a trip interruption expense claim at VW, it took forever to get reviewed; I was granted compensation but haven't seen anything yet. They're unbelievably inefficient and slow. I like the ( interior & exterior) design, the sound system and handling/stability. Performs well in snow/on ice. Downsides are small cargo space and seat material which appears difficult to clean. I am concerned about expensive breakdowns after I'm out of warranty."

2012 TIGUAN SE 4motion

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Quality of Materials, Fit n Finish..."

Cons: "Premium fuel, AC vent angles, 34k without pwr seat"

"This vehicle is absolutely awesome! Fell in love at first sight and drive! There isn't much I'd change, but maybe the vent angles...they don't position down very far. Other than that, great little suv with more than expected room inside."

Could have done better

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Mentioned above"

"had this car for 4 years. Bought new, have multiple issues that VW has known about but doesn't fix. Examples include: Gas flap that won't open: At dealership acknowledged that it is happening to many Tiguans, answer was to just not close the flap. Sun Roof Screen that doesn't close all the way: Again, dealership says it happens with this model and that it closes mostly, and that they would charge to fix Fuses blowing: Have had several fuses blow. Dealship says again that this model is known for it, Other issues that we couldn't determine if it happens to other Tiguans: Water leak: Took the car multiple times to dealership. First thought it was the skylight, then door jam then it was something in engine compartment. That was it, but from the constant humidity over a year, we have rust on all parts inside the car Front lights: Have gone out twice in 4 years - seems strange to me. Issues that were just bad design: Electronic emergency brake: dumbest idea ever. If the care was more reliable, it would be great. Drives nicesly, looks good, right size for the city, decent price"

my first suv no regrets.

By on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pros: "A lot too many to mention."

Cons: "maybe could be a little cheaper but overall price not bad."

"Well my 4th vw and love it,but my first suv nothing bad to say about it,good horsepower for 4 cyls rides good handles very very good especially in the snow I got the SE 4motion gas mileage very good also,no complaints some people give some negative feedback about it I don't know what they expect example noise I never heard it.bottomline I recomend this compact suv to any regular size family 1 or 2 kids max even 5 average size persons could ride confortable."

Tiger or Iguana - Liek it either way

By on Sunday, October 03, 2010

"So far, so good - A really nice little Car/SUV (I bought AWD) for the money. Very tight handling, really notice the power assisted steering, 2.0 Turbo is a rocket, Tiptronic shifting makes it fun to drive. Nice sound system, navigation and awesome panoramic moon roof...A bit of road noise from cabin, but not offensive. Lots of storage...everywhere. If I had one criticism, it would be the sluggish feel off the line when in drive versis using Tiptronic shifting. Gas mileage in city is just under 19 (I have lead foot, so it's cool) and highway betwen 25-27. Also - I'm not wild about wiper controls for front or real - Seems like the Germans tried to hide them, for whetever reason. Leatherette seating is awesome and better than leather from a cleaning perspective."

Great car

By on Monday, July 06, 2009

"power, performance and technology - far surpasses competition in all areas. Incredible build quality and refinement."

Excellent value, the GTI of SUVs

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, quality, performance, great to drive"

Cons: "Luggage space, fuel consumption"

"After almost 2 years ownership we still love this car. It's well made, has excellent performance and is extremely comfortable. The interior is made to Audi quality standards. The ride is excellent over Houston's potholed roads. The only negative is that the luggage space is a bit limited compared to it's competitors. We've had no reliability issues whatsoever. The turbo engine delivers effortless acceleration that shames many sportscars. Fuel economy is a but higher than expected, especially around town. Highly recommended."

Fun to drive - great car

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "Size, ride, utility"

"We own a 2010 Tiguan SEL 4Motion. After an initial navigation system glitch (turned out to be a bad antenna) we are extremely happy with this SUV. It is sporty and fun to drive. The turbo gives it plenty of power when needed. It has a firm, smooth ride and handles bumps well. Also does great in the snow. It has good cargo space for a full load of groceries with the seats up, and with the rear seats down, it has a lot of usable space for bikes, small furniture pieces, etc. Reliability has been excellent and parking it in urban areas is easy. It is a perfect small SUV for city dwellers."

Small, Sporty Crossover

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Sporty and fun to drive -- a GTI stationwagon"

Cons: "Little cabin storage, slow infotainment system"

"Top of the line model at top of class pricing. Small in all respects which is attribute driving and parking, but limited cargo capacity and little interior storage. Some obvious cost cutting like strut to hold up hood and insubstantial feel of door hardware. Very slow startup of navigation- rear camera-entertainment system and slow acceptance of touchscreen inputs. Turbo engine and good handling compensate for these shortcomings, but premium price, need for premium fuel and only OK fuel mileage (best tankful as measured by car's computer on trip has been 26mpg with mixed suburban/open highway running around 22mpg) make this a "once only" purchase."

Small CUV that offers great performance and luxury

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Performance, good handling, acceleration"

Cons: "Pricey (unless compared to Audis and BMWs)"

"Good-handling small utility vehicle with turbo four and 6-speed automatic, navigation, rear camera, leather heated seats,power folding mirrors and adaptive xenon headlights for $35K -- coupled with excellent nearby dealer (in Mobile, AL)and 3-year free maintenance makes the Tiguan SEL a very competitive vehicle. You get 3/4 of of the new BMW X1 for much less in comparable trim. Downsides are just OK fuel mileage for class (Since new I've been getting about 22mpg around town and 26mpg on four-lanes and Interstates -- very close to EPA ratings), relatively small cargo space with rear seats up (but very good rear leg room) and inconvenient rear seat folding -- and they don't lie perfectly flat. But I traded these shortcomings for excellent handling and acceleration and a vehicle that is sporty and different from more common small utility vehicles."

Surprised!!

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Turbo - ooh la la! Bluetooth, Sirius, Nav, camera"

Cons: "In town driving, not so impressive, c/b gas"

"I traded in my 6cyl Beamer for a smaller SUV. I like Tiguan's look & styling. Got a good trade-in for my Beamer, paid the balance with cash & drove off. Living along the coast, we never know what our winters will be like. I was concerned how this lighter-weighted car would handle in snow. Surprised for sure! Incredible traction in 10 inches of snow. Driving through New England this winter where each state goes from no snow to 3 feet, this car handled beautifully. Ice, not so much, but what vehicle does? My car is loaded with all the fun technology & comfort. The trunk is smaller than I thought, but I did want a smaller car. The only thing that still bothers me is the 4cyl local driving - maybe it's the premium gas - I've tried all the name gas - Mobil, Citgo, Shell - to the no-names. Citgo is the best, but there aren't any in my area anymore. Anyway, the local drive is just okay. Highway driving is a whole other experience the turbo can't be beat -incredible. I have total confidence I can beat all the other Massachusetts drivers getting into the lane I want. If you know about us MA drivers, you'll understand how important this turbo is. Fast, sure-footed, this turbo is right on the money. If you don't mind the small size & just okay local drive, this loaded Tiguan is a great surprise."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good economy, comfort and quality"

Cons: "18" wheels make for some expensive snow tires"

"I have been 100% happy with this vehicle. From the handling, to the gas mileage, to the build quality and the comfort I have no complaints. Space is great and the little 4 cylinder puts out plenty of power for the car."