• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,249 - $22,352.

10/7.4

Based on 107 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

Happier than I thought I would be.

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "price, fun to drive, trim, MPGs, comfort"

Cons: "cargo space"

"I traded in my beloved Dodge Caliber because I wanted something that had less road noise and was trimmed out a little better. Initially, I wanted the Audi Q5, but quickly discovered it was more than a little out of my price range. I learned that the Tiguan was built on the same platform, in the same factory, as the Q5, so I decided I would give it a look. Boy, I am glad I did! Not only do I get good gas mileage, but I get lots of extra bells and whistles that I would have had to pay an additional $20K for to get as standards in the Audi. I love the panoramic sunroof, and it very comfortably seats 4 grown adults. My ONLY complaint is that the cargo space is fine for grocery trips, it is a little small for an active family and long road trips. However, a pod on the roof rack will fix that the next time we hit the road."

Awesome little SUV that can tow up to 2500 lb.

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable"

Cons: "engine availability. Diesel or V-6 naturally aspir"

"I am a road salesman and have had many cars. I rated this car very high because it does so much more that the cars in its field. Tows 2500 lb., seats 5 comfortably with adjustable rear seat. Fantastic suspension, fast and secure on the road, decent gas mileage at a solid 23.5 mpg combination. 210hp / 230bhp. Downside, had to put $2500 in engine at 110,000 miles to repair fuel injectors and CVT valve and main rear seal that was sucked into engine without warning! Would love to have a naturally aspirated V-6 with same HP. No turbo. That would be the perfect car."

Great car for the price!

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

"Have owned several VW products back to the 60's. Good product, with German engineering."

Excellent value, the GTI of SUVs

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, quality, performance, great to drive"

Cons: "Luggage space, fuel consumption"

"After almost 2 years ownership we still love this car. It's well made, has excellent performance and is extremely comfortable. The interior is made to Audi quality standards. The ride is excellent over Houston's potholed roads. The only negative is that the luggage space is a bit limited compared to it's competitors. We've had no reliability issues whatsoever. The turbo engine delivers effortless acceleration that shames many sportscars. Fuel economy is a but higher than expected, especially around town. Highly recommended."

Great car to drive.

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Great size."

Cons: "Several recalls in 5 years."

"Love the way it handles. Good size SUV for me - just big enough."

Great vehicle with a lot of power

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Handles well, can go anywhere"

Cons: "Rough ride, premium gas, not great gas mileage"

"I like this car but ride is a little rough and sometimes it feels like it is cutting out. Not thrilled with need for premium gas and without premium gas it really is noticeable."

Great for the price

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great price! Fun to drive! German styling!"

Cons: "squeaky breaks/trans issues"

"I really love my Tiguan, but its already been in the shop 2 times for squeaky breaks. my car is a certified used so it been covered under warranty, thus far. There are a few things, of course that I would change on the car, but for the price of the car it was a great value. I purchased mine in January of 2014, and it had a bit of miles on it, but because it was a lease it was in practically new condition. I drove a Mercedes C300 luxury for 2 weeks prior to driving this and I HATED it. Having driven Mercedes most of my life I realized finally that the materials are getting cheaper and cheaper in them, so I drove this Tiguan. I really fell in love as soon as i got a feel for all the head room and space for what is practically a jacked up golf its not bad for around town. My fiancé and our dog are now on a long road trip and we are now realizing how super small of a car it is, and i say car because its in my opinion it actually has less space than a car for luggage. passenger space is good, but the rear hatch is super small. I have enjoyed it for the most part, but i notice the Transmission seems to shimmy a bit when you are really getting on it, and this makes me nervous, and seems to be a common issue. The breaks are also ver squeaky *but only in the mornings* and the vw guy said this is a problem on ALL of them! I am already upside down in the car, but then again thats my fault for not making a higher payment, but i didn't expect the value to drop as fast as it has in just 3 months. I am used to my cars holding a strong value, and this is a disappointment, again that is my fault for not researching. The materials are cheap as every other car on the market, but much less so than toyota or honda. It has a zippy turbo that makes it feel like a v6 and it can throw you back in your seat if you really press it. I also drive a suburban and to be honest the gas mileage per month is about a 30 dollar difference, so i was surprised it wasn't better than what it is. I will be trading this in as soon as the warranty expires, this car would have been a great first car, but for a 26 year old man like myself it isn't the best fit."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Reason: Needed to free up money in budget to buy a new house

Pros: "Ride, MPG, dependable, solid vehicle"

Cons: "Pricey, but you get what you pay for so good value"

"I love the quality of workmanship and materials in this vehicle. I really can't come up with anything negative. The car got great mileage for a SUV, awsome ride, maintenance free (I also owned a 2010 and had the same great car). Car drives like a champ and put it in sport mode and you're driving a rocket. Maintenance was minimal. Great car. I'll buy another one in the future."

AC unit configuration

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "built well from research findings"

Cons: "AC unit - yuk"

"I don't understand the way they are making cars at all. Do people really care about viewing the radio and music that much? I prefer the Air Conditioning to be configured just like the Passat is or the Nissan Sentra. Why did they start believing that a split Air Conditioning is better? I'm here to tell you - it's Awful. No air blows on me - but it sure does blow on my hands!! Consumers be aware!"

Great pseudo-luxury compact SUV: 2012 Tiguan SEL 4

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "styling, responsiveness, gitty-up, fit and finish"

Cons: "rims, mileage"

"Great car. Only complaint is that the fancy rims that come with the SEL 4 motion are too big (ie tire thickness too thin) for any kind of road. Ride is noisier and rougher than it needs to be in this great car, although the S and SE have the smaller rims and thicker tires. Highly recommend this car for small size, great performance and all the bells and whistles. The 4 motion gas mileage isn't great, but that was no surprise. A sweet ride."

Could have done better

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Mentioned above"

"had this car for 4 years. Bought new, have multiple issues that VW has known about but doesn't fix. Examples include: Gas flap that won't open: At dealership acknowledged that it is happening to many Tiguans, answer was to just not close the flap. Sun Roof Screen that doesn't close all the way: Again, dealership says it happens with this model and that it closes mostly, and that they would charge to fix Fuses blowing: Have had several fuses blow. Dealship says again that this model is known for it, Other issues that we couldn't determine if it happens to other Tiguans: Water leak: Took the car multiple times to dealership. First thought it was the skylight, then door jam then it was something in engine compartment. That was it, but from the constant humidity over a year, we have rust on all parts inside the car Front lights: Have gone out twice in 4 years - seems strange to me. Issues that were just bad design: Electronic emergency brake: dumbest idea ever. If the care was more reliable, it would be great. Drives nicesly, looks good, right size for the city, decent price"

Very nice Small SUV

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, awd, nice interior,perfect size!"

Cons: "pricey, would be really nice in a clean diesel !"

"We needed 4wd for winter driving during snowstorms in VT. Past cars we had - Subaru Outback, Jeep Cherokee, VW Passat, VW Eurovan, Mini Cooper S. This Car has never let us down, great driving feel on HWY and Off. Not to big but plenty of room for 4. Panoramic sunroof is huge, finish is clean and not to plastic. Engine is plenty of get up and go w turbo yet we can get 29 mpg on the hwy if we keep from going 75mph. As with any winter car get a set of snow tires - it goes anywhere with just the right amount of clearance. Nicer car than all our previous vehicles."

Surprised!!

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Turbo - ooh la la! Bluetooth, Sirius, Nav, camera"

Cons: "In town driving, not so impressive, c/b gas"

"I traded in my 6cyl Beamer for a smaller SUV. I like Tiguan's look & styling. Got a good trade-in for my Beamer, paid the balance with cash & drove off. Living along the coast, we never know what our winters will be like. I was concerned how this lighter-weighted car would handle in snow. Surprised for sure! Incredible traction in 10 inches of snow. Driving through New England this winter where each state goes from no snow to 3 feet, this car handled beautifully. Ice, not so much, but what vehicle does? My car is loaded with all the fun technology & comfort. The trunk is smaller than I thought, but I did want a smaller car. The only thing that still bothers me is the 4cyl local driving - maybe it's the premium gas - I've tried all the name gas - Mobil, Citgo, Shell - to the no-names. Citgo is the best, but there aren't any in my area anymore. Anyway, the local drive is just okay. Highway driving is a whole other experience the turbo can't be beat -incredible. I have total confidence I can beat all the other Massachusetts drivers getting into the lane I want. If you know about us MA drivers, you'll understand how important this turbo is. Fast, sure-footed, this turbo is right on the money. If you don't mind the small size & just okay local drive, this loaded Tiguan is a great surprise."

1st VW, great ride, sporty, quick, stylish

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Sporty fun to drive"

Cons: "Average mileage, high maintenance costs"

"I leased my 2011 Tiguan SE with Panormaic roof and GPS and will be purchasing it. First off the upside: It is the nicest car I will have ever purchased. The ride is quiet on the freeway but can get mildly clunky on uneven surfaces. The leatherette seats are comfortable and easy to clean. The comfort is fantastic for a tall guy like me (6'5"). The handling and breaking is phenomenal! Excellent cornering, acceleration, and braking. Sport mode on curvy Sierra foothill highways is like a rollercoaster ride, better than any SUV I have ever driven and I have owned a few. I love the panoramic roof but the GPS is average often not reliably locating addresses and can be complicated to use. The 4motion is excellent in snow although the open wheel design can get packed with snow and cause a vibration comparable to a wheel out of balance. The downside: I had a bad fuse that melted in the fusebox slot after warranty but the VW dealer replaced free of charge anyway. I also had an intake manifild go bad at 30,000 miles that was covered under warranty. Mileage is averaging 23 per gallon, 19 city, 25 highway just as advertised. Not bad but there are many CUVs that have better. I had the free maintenance and once that was over I took it to a reputable local foreign car service for maintenance. I'd say the average service costs for a turbocharged VW is around $300-500 per 10,000 miles driven. That is not cheap but the car performs as good as the day I bought it. I'd recommend this car for the fun driving and comfort but will add that you should keep up on your maintenance if you want to avoid more expensive fixes and shop time."

It's a good car

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Engine, great price, fun to drive, gas"

Cons: "base model could have more standard features"

"This car is very fast, it has the 2.0 TSi engine with turbo and it sounds beautiful when the turbo is activated. We own 2 of them and are very happy"

Ilove the full top sun roof with screen slide over

By on Saturday, November 02, 2013

"the way it handles on the road very smooth ride it is clean, and never been smoked in.always detailed once a year in and out."

Good, but....

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "AWD, design, safety"

Cons: "price,cargo space,fuel injectors,VW claim service"

"I've had this vehicle (4 motion AWD) for close to 3 years. I've been happy with the car and had no major incidents until 4 months ago when the fuel injector broke down and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn't under warranty i'd be out of ~6k. Filed a trip interruption expense claim at VW, it took forever to get reviewed; I was granted compensation but haven't seen anything yet. They're unbelievably inefficient and slow. I like the ( interior & exterior) design, the sound system and handling/stability. Performs well in snow/on ice. Downsides are small cargo space and seat material which appears difficult to clean. I am concerned about expensive breakdowns after I'm out of warranty."

Great little SUV

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Only wish it had a programmable remote"

"I have owned BMW's,Mercedes,and this is my first vw. I purchased the vehicle new and has been very comfortable and lovely to drive. Easy to park anywhere."

Best SUV I have owned.

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

"I have owned 4 SUVs (Mercedes, Acura, Subaru, Ford )this one seems higher quality than others. I like everything about it."

Small, Sporty Crossover

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Sporty and fun to drive -- a GTI stationwagon"

Cons: "Little cabin storage, slow infotainment system"

"Top of the line model at top of class pricing. Small in all respects which is attribute driving and parking, but limited cargo capacity and little interior storage. Some obvious cost cutting like strut to hold up hood and insubstantial feel of door hardware. Very slow startup of navigation- rear camera-entertainment system and slow acceptance of touchscreen inputs. Turbo engine and good handling compensate for these shortcomings, but premium price, need for premium fuel and only OK fuel mileage (best tankful as measured by car's computer on trip has been 26mpg with mixed suburban/open highway running around 22mpg) make this a "once only" purchase."

VW Needs to Rethink this Model

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Reason: Lack of amenities, mediocre mpg, cheap materials

Pros: "Nice looking"

Cons: "Over priced for what you get"

"On the upside, the Tiguan is nicely styled, has a very component engine and a decent driving position. Unfortunately, that's where the positives end for me. One of my first complaints about the Tiguan is in its packaging. First up, even the base model Tiguan is not cheap and one would expect the standard items and a few more upscale ones as well for the price. Wrong. In the base model you do not get an iPod connector, HD radio or heated seats. In other vehicles in this price range, these items are pretty much a given. Secondly, the fabric material on the seats is horrible. It's ugly, looks incredibly cheap and worst of all, attracts every piece of lint to it. Speaking of cheap, the knobs on the sound system look like they came out of a Fisher Price bargain bin. While the Tiguan could possibly be a good car -- it is not. One other detail, the depreciation on this vehicle is beyond belief. When I chose to get rid of it after 5 months and saw how much it had depreciated, I could not believe it. Nice car but a lot better choices out there."

One year old car won't stop squeaking

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "0% finance"

Cons: "Everything else"

"Bought this car a year ago as the reviews looked good. Three months later, the brakes started to squeak every time we backed up. We have had the car looked at by VW who told us this was "normal" and refuses to do anything about it. We talked to VW America and we were met with a bunch of paper pushers who did not even know what the car looked like. The car drives fairly well but the trunk is tiny (smaller than my sedan) so if you plan to carry anything or go on a trip, it will not work. I have had more than a dozen cars in my life but this one is the worst!"

I love the experience of owning this car!

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "handling and acceleration"

Cons: "maintenance cost"

"excellent handling and pick up. good gas mileage for the acceleration provided. great for cruising the beach or driving in traffic. excellent on the highway. steering like nothing I have experienced. only con is that repairs and maintenance are more expensive."

Excellent so far, highly recommended

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, high quality, comfortable"

Cons: "Fuel consumption in city, trunk space"

VW Tiguan S 4motion

"I bought my Tiguan S 4motion in August 2012. So far I have no complaints at all. It has excellent performance and good ride quality. It is completely rattle-free and feels like high quality luxury car. The only criticism I have is the higher than expected fuel consumption in heavy city traffic, which drops below 20 mpg. Out on the highway cruising at 60 to 70 mph 32 or 34 mpg is normal. Performance from the 2 liter turbo engine is completely effortless. With the transmission in sport mode it is especially fun to drive. When pressed hard the engine note has a satisfyingly sporty snarl. Handling feels a bit roly-poly as expected for an SUV, but the trade off is very comfortable ride over pot holed roads. The base model's 15 inch wheels also help in this regard. With the back seat in its rear-most position there is plenty of space for 3 passengers in the back seat (ample headroom and good legroom). However, the trunk space (whilst ample for shopping) is a bit limited compared to a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. Should be fine for 2 people on a road trip, but not 4 or 5 unless you fit a roof top box. Overall, I am very pleased with this car and highly recommend this model to anybody who is looking for a compact SUV."

VW Tiguan S 4motion

Seriously Sporty Small SUV

By on Friday, June 07, 2013

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, options and features, VW i"

Cons: "Kind of cut-rate on details, premium fuel required"

"Bought in 2011 for good acceleration and handling -- turbo 2.0 liter engine is same as in GTI and has 6-speed torque convertor transmission (less common among small crossovers then than now). Picked SEL with upgraded Nav to get adaptive headlights, power drivers seat and back-up camera. Most expensive version (delivered: $35K). Love the performance but less excited about utility as an SUV -- small on the outside is good but this one is cramped on the inside. Minimal storage in passenger compartment and the most awkward fold down rear seats that I can recall (my old Santa Fe's were equally crude with same straps, but far easier to use and requiring less muscle.) Dealership has exceptionally good service department and with VW's no-cost maintenance I have spent $0 on anything (ran out a few months ago so I'm now on my own with pretty steep labor rates and very expensive parts). I like VW's and love the dealer -- have a second one ('08 Rabbit) and will keep it when the Tiguan goes. Interesting that the $20K Rabbit is a more refined design and has a more upscale feel even though it lacks the Tiguan's gadgets -- and it doesn't require a manual strut to keep the hood open (a real down-scale item on Tiguan)"

See if you qualify for