• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $33,715 - $34,986.

10/7.4

Based on 109 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Compact and very comfortable

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "Comfort and drive feel are superb"

Cons: "Small cargo space, gas mileage just OK"

"I was looking for compact SUV that did not feel bulky and would be comfortable on long trips. This is the most comfortable car I have owned (previously had Subarus) and it drives so smoothly one feels like its gliding on the road. Seats are incredibly comfortable for all five passengers. Small minuses: Cargo space is limited if there are four or five passengers. has a substantial blind spot. Otherwise, a great car."

Good average car, a bit overpriced.

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "not too good on gas for a 4 cylinder car."

Cons: "handled well in snow."

"overall happy with car and handling,"

Happier than I thought I would be.

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "price, fun to drive, trim, MPGs, comfort"

Cons: "cargo space"

"I traded in my beloved Dodge Caliber because I wanted something that had less road noise and was trimmed out a little better. Initially, I wanted the Audi Q5, but quickly discovered it was more than a little out of my price range. I learned that the Tiguan was built on the same platform, in the same factory, as the Q5, so I decided I would give it a look. Boy, I am glad I did! Not only do I get good gas mileage, but I get lots of extra bells and whistles that I would have had to pay an additional $20K for to get as standards in the Audi. I love the panoramic sunroof, and it very comfortably seats 4 grown adults. My ONLY complaint is that the cargo space is fine for grocery trips, it is a little small for an active family and long road trips. However, a pod on the roof rack will fix that the next time we hit the road."

Awesome little SUV that can tow up to 2500 lb.

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable"

Cons: "engine availability. Diesel or V-6 naturally aspir"

"I am a road salesman and have had many cars. I rated this car very high because it does so much more that the cars in its field. Tows 2500 lb., seats 5 comfortably with adjustable rear seat. Fantastic suspension, fast and secure on the road, decent gas mileage at a solid 23.5 mpg combination. 210hp / 230bhp. Downside, had to put $2500 in engine at 110,000 miles to repair fuel injectors and CVT valve and main rear seal that was sucked into engine without warning! Would love to have a naturally aspirated V-6 with same HP. No turbo. That would be the perfect car."

Great car for the price!

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

"Have owned several VW products back to the 60's. Good product, with German engineering."

Excellent value, the GTI of SUVs

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, quality, performance, great to drive"

Cons: "Luggage space, fuel consumption"

"After almost 2 years ownership we still love this car. It's well made, has excellent performance and is extremely comfortable. The interior is made to Audi quality standards. The ride is excellent over Houston's potholed roads. The only negative is that the luggage space is a bit limited compared to it's competitors. We've had no reliability issues whatsoever. The turbo engine delivers effortless acceleration that shames many sportscars. Fuel economy is a but higher than expected, especially around town. Highly recommended."

Great car to drive.

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Great size."

Cons: "Several recalls in 5 years."

"Love the way it handles. Good size SUV for me - just big enough."

Great vehicle with a lot of power

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Handles well, can go anywhere"

Cons: "Rough ride, premium gas, not great gas mileage"

"I like this car but ride is a little rough and sometimes it feels like it is cutting out. Not thrilled with need for premium gas and without premium gas it really is noticeable."

Great for the price

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great price! Fun to drive! German styling!"

Cons: "squeaky breaks/trans issues"

"I really love my Tiguan, but its already been in the shop 2 times for squeaky breaks. my car is a certified used so it been covered under warranty, thus far. There are a few things, of course that I would change on the car, but for the price of the car it was a great value. I purchased mine in January of 2014, and it had a bit of miles on it, but because it was a lease it was in practically new condition. I drove a Mercedes C300 luxury for 2 weeks prior to driving this and I HATED it. Having driven Mercedes most of my life I realized finally that the materials are getting cheaper and cheaper in them, so I drove this Tiguan. I really fell in love as soon as i got a feel for all the head room and space for what is practically a jacked up golf its not bad for around town. My fiancé and our dog are now on a long road trip and we are now realizing how super small of a car it is, and i say car because its in my opinion it actually has less space than a car for luggage. passenger space is good, but the rear hatch is super small. I have enjoyed it for the most part, but i notice the Transmission seems to shimmy a bit when you are really getting on it, and this makes me nervous, and seems to be a common issue. The breaks are also ver squeaky *but only in the mornings* and the vw guy said this is a problem on ALL of them! I am already upside down in the car, but then again thats my fault for not making a higher payment, but i didn't expect the value to drop as fast as it has in just 3 months. I am used to my cars holding a strong value, and this is a disappointment, again that is my fault for not researching. The materials are cheap as every other car on the market, but much less so than toyota or honda. It has a zippy turbo that makes it feel like a v6 and it can throw you back in your seat if you really press it. I also drive a suburban and to be honest the gas mileage per month is about a 30 dollar difference, so i was surprised it wasn't better than what it is. I will be trading this in as soon as the warranty expires, this car would have been a great first car, but for a 26 year old man like myself it isn't the best fit."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Reason: Needed to free up money in budget to buy a new house

Pros: "Ride, MPG, dependable, solid vehicle"

Cons: "Pricey, but you get what you pay for so good value"

"I love the quality of workmanship and materials in this vehicle. I really can't come up with anything negative. The car got great mileage for a SUV, awsome ride, maintenance free (I also owned a 2010 and had the same great car). Car drives like a champ and put it in sport mode and you're driving a rocket. Maintenance was minimal. Great car. I'll buy another one in the future."