2013 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 138 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

Luv my 1st VW

By on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"I was growing ever so tired of calling on friends any time I wanted to buy something that wouldn't fit in my car. As a homeowner it got even worse as I couldn't even get an 8 foot piece of trim in my car. Not to mention the multiple problems my '03 Accord was beginning to develop like broken stability control sensors, broken automatic window motors and more. So I decided to go car shopping. I wanted a small SUV/Crossover. I started with Ford as I liked my friend's Escape when I drove it. However, I truly wanted to take the time and ensure I was getting the proper vehicle. Anyway, I was almost sold on the CR-V. This was mainly because my brother works for Honda (assembling the CR-V actually), but thankfully the dealer didn't have a color scheme I was willing to walk off the lot with. In talking to a friend he asked if I had test drove the Tiguan. I hadn't as I had never even heard of it. I liked the overall design. I didn't feel "girly" in it as I did the CR-V, and even before driving I was amazed at the overall feel of the car. It is solid! I mean it really made the CR-V feel cheap. I was sold with the drive. It was soooo smooth and quiet. Even before test driving the Tiguan, I was shocked at how noisy the CR-V was especially on the highway(sorry to compare this mostly to the CR-V, but it is the model I almost bought before visiting the VW dealer). No such noisy experience with the Tiguan that is for sure. Well long story short I left the dealers lot 11 months ago now with a Tiguan and I haven't had one regret yet. It is the first brand new car I've ever owned (I have had mostly Honda's and BMW's in the past) that hasn't had one single problem before reaching 5,000 miles. I am almost at 10,000 now and still runs perfect without one defective sensor, indicator or anything else ever. Granted at 10K miles it is still practically brand new, but I have grown to expect even a minor problem even with a brand new car. Overall this car is solid, quiet, confortable and an overall pleasure to drive. While not quite as stick the road sporty as my BMW 3 series I owned, the closest thing I can compare my 25K Tiguan to in driving experience would be my 36K 3-series. The ride and drive this car delivers TROUNCES anything its class an price range. I will gaurantee that. The one comment I also hear from friends who I let drive my Tiguan is "Wow, this car is so smooth". Compared to anything in its class and price range it definitely is. Do not buy a small SUV/Crossover without at least test driving this vehicle. You will not be sorry you did. I do have one complaint though. Gas mileage while fairly comparable isn't that great. Hello Volkswagen, I want a diesel engine! Quote from the VW dealer when I was shopping and I asked him if it came in a diesel..."If it came in a diesel, I wouldn't be able to keep them on my lot".....Uhm, isn't that what you want as car manufacturer? BIO-DIESEL engine getting 40 to 50 MPG, then I will be truly be a VW fanboy!"

Fun drive. Spacious CUV. Average mileage.

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

"I bought this car at 5200 miles and have driven it another 3000. It is a very smooth ride and comfortable to drive. The seat warmers on the SE are quite nice in the winter. The gas mileage is pretty comparable to the listed averages, perhaps a little low. Highway driving is more like 23-24 mpg. This vehicle feels more solid than the RAV4 and the excellent safety ratings make the insurance very affordable."

Fun, Sporty, Practical, Small Family Car

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Quick, Versatile, Practical,"

Cons: "Wish there was a little more cargo space."

"We love our Tiguan. It is a great vehicle that was reasonably priced with a little luxury to it and of course it is also sporty. It is just me and my wife; we use it to travel a good bit and it is great. We bought it with expectations of beginning a family. It is a very safe car ratings wise but it also provides a feeling of confidence. It is stable and feels planted to the gorund at all times. The interior is surprisingly roomy and comfortable. We fell in love with the heated seats; being in the south we didnt think they were necessary but man have we changed our minds. The only complaint we have is that occasionally we will bring friends along on a trip. If you have four adults and any substantial amount of cargo or luggage it starts to get a little cramped. Oh, one last thing. This thing drives great in low traction situations. Ours is Front Wheel Drive but I have driven it confidentally during ice storms and wintery conditions. It even went up a steep hill where several cars were stranded trying to go up. We even used it to drive down a muddy Georgia red clay road which if you have had experience with can be as bad or worse than ice."

Solid Crossover

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"An excellent VW product. With smart driving and mid grade gas I'm able to average 25 MPG in the city. The turbo can really get this baby moving and it sticks to the road. In fact to me it feels less like an SUV and more like my old VW Rabbit, but with mor pickup! I've taken it on a long trip, 1800 miles round trip with 2 other adults plus an infant. It carried us and all our gear in comfort. The base model has more than enough features and I'd recommend this to anyone looking at a crossover."

Great little SUV

By on Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pros: "Zippy motor, solid build quality, VW quirkiness"

Cons: "Premium Gas, no automatic lights, no dual climate"

"I traded "down" from an 08 Acura MDX. I lost a few creature features by getting the Tiguan SE. (Power seats, mirrors that tilt down in reverse, automatic lights) I gained a fun driving little car. It handles incredibly well and puts a smile on your face around town or on the highway. Features: The controls are a touch on the complicated (AkA German) side but once you are used to them you find an oddly logical layout. The Navigation screen is tiny but serviceable and the stereo controls not intuitive. AMAZING Panoramic Roof! On the other hand the stereo sounds great and is full of great features, steaming blue tooth, MDI connection, Sirius/XM. The seats are very comfortable and supportive and over all love driving it. Function: Space is limited but functional. It is far smaller than my MDX but it is all I need. Rear seats are easy to fold down and the backseat legroom is surprisingly good. So far mileage has been higher than rated. I am averaging 27 in a blend of city and highway over the week I have owned the car. Fun to drive and a bit of a rare car on the road so you don't see one every 10 feet (like my MDX) Summary: You get back more than you give up by downsizing. Enough features, enough room and more than enough power in a small package."

Great car with some annoying quirks

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, agile, great driving experience"

Cons: "Gas, bad navigation system, over-sensitive ABS"

"When I was shopping for cars, the most important thing to me was driveability - how did it feel when driving it. This was by far the best car I tested in what I was looking for (a compact SUV), and I do not regret my purchase. The car handles well and feels great to drive. There are some annoying quirks, mainly with the onboard system. Basically, the navigation system is terrible and the whole system is very unintuitive. I also find the anti-lock brake system to be WAY too sensitive - it kicks at least once a day, whenever I brake while driving on even a bit of gravel. The gas mileage isn't great, and I wish it didn't have to be premium, but I don't drive so much that it's a big consideration. Ultimately, in the areas that matter most, this car is excellent."

quick and smooth

By on Saturday, October 17, 2009

"As a first time Volkswagen owner i must admit I did not choose this vehicle. My wife fell in love with the looks and small size while I was skeptical of the brand name compared to Honda. We now have 10,000 on this little machine and it has been a pleasure. Quick and sure footed, it drives out like a dream compared to the CRV. How will it do in the long-run? I don't know yet, but we have nothing but good things to say about this vehicle for now. It really is fun to drive. Ours is a 6speed auto 4-motion with panoramic sunroof and heated leather."

Great small CUV

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, top notch quality."

Cons: "Not as roomy as some; SEL has rides very firmly."

"Although the professional reviews ping it for not tops in space with the competition, I love the car specifically for its size and agility. It is easy to park in the city, and although it is shorter than most of the competitors, I have found that it has plenty of passenger room and space for hauling larger objects. The adjustable/reclining rear seat makes all of the difference. Most importantly, it drives much better than the competition. It's like a tall sports car. The car also has a quality feeling that the others in the class cannot match, and materials are a step above Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai. The Dynaudio stereo is top notch. Everything is has a solid feel. This car is more in line with an Audi, BMW or Volvo than a Toyota or Honda. I love it!"

2010 VW tiguan Wolfsburg 4 motion

By on Tuesday, September 07, 2010

"Excellent fit and finish. This small SUV has great power/acceleration. Handles super around corners. Few minor complaints would be to offer auto/on-off headlamps on all models not just SEL. Cargo space is tight but rear seats do move forward/aft 6 inches, which is needed. Do not overlook this SUV, give it a test drive. I have driven all SUV's in this segment and this is one of the best..."

I love the experience of owning this car!

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "handling and acceleration"

Cons: "maintenance cost"

"excellent handling and pick up. good gas mileage for the acceleration provided. great for cruising the beach or driving in traffic. excellent on the highway. steering like nothing I have experienced. only con is that repairs and maintenance are more expensive."