2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

Great pseudo-luxury compact SUV: 2012 Tiguan SEL 4

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "styling, responsiveness, gitty-up, fit and finish"

Cons: "rims, mileage"

"Great car. Only complaint is that the fancy rims that come with the SEL 4 motion are too big (ie tire thickness too thin) for any kind of road. Ride is noisier and rougher than it needs to be in this great car, although the S and SE have the smaller rims and thicker tires. Highly recommend this car for small size, great performance and all the bells and whistles. The 4 motion gas mileage isn't great, but that was no surprise. A sweet ride."

Best Crossover Available

By on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"It is "better" than Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and all the rest. Great engineering, design, features, ride, handling, performance, looks, and fun to drive. 13 months after my purchase, I am very satisfied that I made the right decision. VW makes great vehicles. Go see for yourself and you will be glad you did!!"

Enjoyable, just avoid the running boards!

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Stained running boards"

"We picked up this car a couple months ago, and we have enjoyed it so far. You know going in that this car is going to be short on rear cargo space, the gas mileage is not going to be as good as the competitors, and the safety ratings on this car are not as good as they could be. That being said, you get a comfortable riding car that is fun to drive. Our biggest complaint is the running boards. While they looked great off the lot, and they are helpful for our child, they are stained from the winter road treatment. The dealership says I can get down there and scrub them with steel wool, but to be honest, I don't baby my car that much. I keep it clean and run it through the car wash regularly, but I don't fine tooth comb it. Plus, I really don't want to risk putting scratches on them. So unless you need them, I recommend saving the cash. All in all, great car. I can't say it enough, don't get the running boards (unless you are the kind of person that enjoys scrubbing your car with steel wool)."

Fun, well-constructed with some engine problems

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

Pros: "Great handling, peppy for small SUV."

Cons: "Problematic engine coils; limited storage/truck."

"As one of the prior reviewers noted, the S-model is a great buy... no fancy stuff but great price. I bought one with manual transmission and it feels like a real automobile, not one of those tinker cars! Dealer couldn't wait to get it off his lot -great price, under $22K. Only problem has been "engine". At 26000 miles, almost 3 years (still under warranty) one of the ignition coils failed. Not much pep in a 4 cylinder with one not functioning. Dealer replaced. Ten days later another ignition coil failed. Now have four new coils. Hoping the new coils last. Other than this problem this is probably the best engineered car I have owned since my 1961 Chevy Impala."

Appreciate the German engineering.

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "My wife and I have been the only drivers ."

Cons: "Would have enjoyed power seats."

"My wife and I are both home bound because of our health and must give up our drivers license ."