2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 139 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

Responsive

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "details are well done"

Cons: "a bit pricey"

"Had the car a couple years, great for touring and quite nimble. Snow is no problem and the size is good for two or four. Handy to carry the kayak or bikes."

Solid Crossover

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"An excellent VW product. With smart driving and mid grade gas I'm able to average 25 MPG in the city. The turbo can really get this baby moving and it sticks to the road. In fact to me it feels less like an SUV and more like my old VW Rabbit, but with mor pickup! I've taken it on a long trip, 1800 miles round trip with 2 other adults plus an infant. It carried us and all our gear in comfort. The base model has more than enough features and I'd recommend this to anyone looking at a crossover."

Fun, Sporty, Practical, Small Family Car

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Quick, Versatile, Practical,"

Cons: "Wish there was a little more cargo space."

"We love our Tiguan. It is a great vehicle that was reasonably priced with a little luxury to it and of course it is also sporty. It is just me and my wife; we use it to travel a good bit and it is great. We bought it with expectations of beginning a family. It is a very safe car ratings wise but it also provides a feeling of confidence. It is stable and feels planted to the gorund at all times. The interior is surprisingly roomy and comfortable. We fell in love with the heated seats; being in the south we didnt think they were necessary but man have we changed our minds. The only complaint we have is that occasionally we will bring friends along on a trip. If you have four adults and any substantial amount of cargo or luggage it starts to get a little cramped. Oh, one last thing. This thing drives great in low traction situations. Ours is Front Wheel Drive but I have driven it confidentally during ice storms and wintery conditions. It even went up a steep hill where several cars were stranded trying to go up. We even used it to drive down a muddy Georgia red clay road which if you have had experience with can be as bad or worse than ice."

Amazing SUV

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, small enough to fit everywhere"

Cons: "Bumpy ride"

"Extremely fun to drive. Love the interior, it's very comfortable in both passenger seat and driver seat. Only complaint is that the Tigaun SEL is not as smooth riding as I would have hoped. If you want a smoother ride chose a S or SE."

Refinement at a great price

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Driving experience, quality of materials"

Cons: "None to date"

"I've had my 2013 Tiguan S for a little over a month and am very pleased so far. I gave the Tiguan a "9" rating on the scale simply because no car (or anything for that matter is perfect) but it comes close in the automotive world. In sum, great driving dynamics, handling and interior fit, finish and quality are flawless and on par with Audi as has been noted in many reviews. One thing I particularly like about the Tiguan is the simplicity, logic and clarity of the interior layout and functions. While the Tiguan is pricier than similar competitors, it lives up to the adage that "you get what you pay for" and, in this case, it's a quality build and materials."

Good, but....

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "AWD, design, safety"

Cons: "price,cargo space,fuel injectors,VW claim service"

"I've had this vehicle (4 motion AWD) for close to 3 years. I've been happy with the car and had no major incidents until 4 months ago when the fuel injector broke down and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn't under warranty i'd be out of ~6k. Filed a trip interruption expense claim at VW, it took forever to get reviewed; I was granted compensation but haven't seen anything yet. They're unbelievably inefficient and slow. I like the ( interior & exterior) design, the sound system and handling/stability. Performs well in snow/on ice. Downsides are small cargo space and seat material which appears difficult to clean. I am concerned about expensive breakdowns after I'm out of warranty."

Very Happy with 2013 SEL 4 Motion Tiguan

By on Friday, February 1, 2013

Pros: "Driving, handling , pick up and design"

Cons: "The Ride....rougher in the SEL series."

"We have about 1,200 miles on our Tiguan. The handling and driving is a 10. The exterior and Interior design is great, comfort seating is wonderful. We have the 4-Motion series (AWD) and it handles great in the snow. Fun to drive, great pick up and for passing !! The only negative I see is that the SEL series has a "sport" ride which is not as smooth as the SE or the S model. This is primarily due to the 19 inch tires/wheels on the SEL series. However, we still LOVE the vehicle. We liked it better than the Honda CRV , the Toyota RAV 4 and the Chevy Equinox. Has a 12 yr rust corrision warranty"

Could have done better

By on Monday, February 3, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Mentioned above"

"had this car for 4 years. Bought new, have multiple issues that VW has known about but doesn't fix. Examples include: Gas flap that won't open: At dealership acknowledged that it is happening to many Tiguans, answer was to just not close the flap. Sun Roof Screen that doesn't close all the way: Again, dealership says it happens with this model and that it closes mostly, and that they would charge to fix Fuses blowing: Have had several fuses blow. Dealship says again that this model is known for it, Other issues that we couldn't determine if it happens to other Tiguans: Water leak: Took the car multiple times to dealership. First thought it was the skylight, then door jam then it was something in engine compartment. That was it, but from the constant humidity over a year, we have rust on all parts inside the car Front lights: Have gone out twice in 4 years - seems strange to me. Issues that were just bad design: Electronic emergency brake: dumbest idea ever. If the care was more reliable, it would be great. Drives nicesly, looks good, right size for the city, decent price"

Very nice in city or on open highway

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "great acceleration and handling. FUN to drive"

Cons: "Premium gas, small storage area,"

"Low fatigue factor. Did very well in snow and ice, Low maintenance. Turbo makes this vehicle an excellent choice over competition."

I love my Tiguan!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "great value, sporty, full loaded, dependable"

"I owned a Ford Edge before purchasing my Tiguan last year and can only rave about my Tiguan. My Edge can't compare to the value I've found in this car. Although it only has a 4-cylinder compared to my 6-cyclinder Edge, it's lighter and sporty so I don't notice a decrease in power. The turbo can really get you where you need to be. I purchased my Tiguan for about $10,000 less than an Edge with all the same amentities. This car has been great and that's coming from a previous VW owner who swore never to own another VW after a terrible Jetta experience. My son asked me the other day if I'd get another Tiguan if something happened to the one I have now. I told him I'd absolutely make the same decision again to purchase a Tiguan. You can't beat the car for the money...not to mention the VW dealerships around here provide much better service than the Ford dealerships....I love my Tiguan and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great small SUV that's fully loaded."