2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

Solid Build

By on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pros: "Fun, stable driver with great panaramic sunroof"

Cons: "More back storage area would be nice."

"Very solidly built with excellent materials throughout. Best handling and performing of the small SUVs for the year. Entertaining to drive while very stable in wet, snow and ice conditions. Normal mileage 21 - 27, with high of 30 during 'uninterrupted' country road driving. Flexible utility with folding seats. Back seat very roomy with storage behind seat meeting most needs. Panaramic sunroof is great giving a convertible feel when opened. Never a breakdown but have had PVC valve problem needing repair/replacement and oil leak from engine and all-wheel drive system. Also intake engine valves required cleaning service."

Volkswagen is not what it used to be!

By on Saturday, January 23, 2016

Reason: end of lease

Pros: "great styling"

Cons: "uncomfortable interior"

"I have leased VW cars since 2003, and I had stayed with the brand because I loved the value and quality for the price. My 2012 Tiguan SE was my second Tiguan, my first being a 2009 SE. Both of these vehicles were very different from my previous models, the Jetta (2003) and Passat Wagon (2007). The quality, especially on my 2012 Tiguan was lacking. Interior door handles coming off, navigation not working, and the passenger seat heater burning through the seat. It has been one year since I have traded in my Tiguan for a 2015 Acura RDX, and I could not be happier. I would highly recommend a Honda/Acura product over a Volkswagen product."

Luv my 1st VW

By on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"I was growing ever so tired of calling on friends any time I wanted to buy something that wouldn't fit in my car. As a homeowner it got even worse as I couldn't even get an 8 foot piece of trim in my car. Not to mention the multiple problems my '03 Accord was beginning to develop like broken stability control sensors, broken automatic window motors and more. So I decided to go car shopping. I wanted a small SUV/Crossover. I started with Ford as I liked my friend's Escape when I drove it. However, I truly wanted to take the time and ensure I was getting the proper vehicle. Anyway, I was almost sold on the CR-V. This was mainly because my brother works for Honda (assembling the CR-V actually), but thankfully the dealer didn't have a color scheme I was willing to walk off the lot with. In talking to a friend he asked if I had test drove the Tiguan. I hadn't as I had never even heard of it. I liked the overall design. I didn't feel "girly" in it as I did the CR-V, and even before driving I was amazed at the overall feel of the car. It is solid! I mean it really made the CR-V feel cheap. I was sold with the drive. It was soooo smooth and quiet. Even before test driving the Tiguan, I was shocked at how noisy the CR-V was especially on the highway(sorry to compare this mostly to the CR-V, but it is the model I almost bought before visiting the VW dealer). No such noisy experience with the Tiguan that is for sure. Well long story short I left the dealers lot 11 months ago now with a Tiguan and I haven't had one regret yet. It is the first brand new car I've ever owned (I have had mostly Honda's and BMW's in the past) that hasn't had one single problem before reaching 5,000 miles. I am almost at 10,000 now and still runs perfect without one defective sensor, indicator or anything else ever. Granted at 10K miles it is still practically brand new, but I have grown to expect even a minor problem even with a brand new car. Overall this car is solid, quiet, confortable and an overall pleasure to drive. While not quite as stick the road sporty as my BMW 3 series I owned, the closest thing I can compare my 25K Tiguan to in driving experience would be my 36K 3-series. The ride and drive this car delivers TROUNCES anything its class an price range. I will gaurantee that. The one comment I also hear from friends who I let drive my Tiguan is "Wow, this car is so smooth". Compared to anything in its class and price range it definitely is. Do not buy a small SUV/Crossover without at least test driving this vehicle. You will not be sorry you did. I do have one complaint though. Gas mileage while fairly comparable isn't that great. Hello Volkswagen, I want a diesel engine! Quote from the VW dealer when I was shopping and I asked him if it came in a diesel..."If it came in a diesel, I wouldn't be able to keep them on my lot".....Uhm, isn't that what you want as car manufacturer? BIO-DIESEL engine getting 40 to 50 MPG, then I will be truly be a VW fanboy!"

Fun drive. Spacious CUV. Average mileage.

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

"I bought this car at 5200 miles and have driven it another 3000. It is a very smooth ride and comfortable to drive. The seat warmers on the SE are quite nice in the winter. The gas mileage is pretty comparable to the listed averages, perhaps a little low. Highway driving is more like 23-24 mpg. This vehicle feels more solid than the RAV4 and the excellent safety ratings make the insurance very affordable."

Fun, Sporty, Practical, Small Family Car

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Quick, Versatile, Practical,"

Cons: "Wish there was a little more cargo space."

"We love our Tiguan. It is a great vehicle that was reasonably priced with a little luxury to it and of course it is also sporty. It is just me and my wife; we use it to travel a good bit and it is great. We bought it with expectations of beginning a family. It is a very safe car ratings wise but it also provides a feeling of confidence. It is stable and feels planted to the gorund at all times. The interior is surprisingly roomy and comfortable. We fell in love with the heated seats; being in the south we didnt think they were necessary but man have we changed our minds. The only complaint we have is that occasionally we will bring friends along on a trip. If you have four adults and any substantial amount of cargo or luggage it starts to get a little cramped. Oh, one last thing. This thing drives great in low traction situations. Ours is Front Wheel Drive but I have driven it confidentally during ice storms and wintery conditions. It even went up a steep hill where several cars were stranded trying to go up. We even used it to drive down a muddy Georgia red clay road which if you have had experience with can be as bad or worse than ice."