• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

Based on 109 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

AC unit configuration

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "built well from research findings"

Cons: "AC unit - yuk"

"I don't understand the way they are making cars at all. Do people really care about viewing the radio and music that much? I prefer the Air Conditioning to be configured just like the Passat is or the Nissan Sentra. Why did they start believing that a split Air Conditioning is better? I'm here to tell you - it's Awful. No air blows on me - but it sure does blow on my hands!! Consumers be aware!"

Great pseudo-luxury compact SUV: 2012 Tiguan SEL 4

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "styling, responsiveness, gitty-up, fit and finish"

Cons: "rims, mileage"

"Great car. Only complaint is that the fancy rims that come with the SEL 4 motion are too big (ie tire thickness too thin) for any kind of road. Ride is noisier and rougher than it needs to be in this great car, although the S and SE have the smaller rims and thicker tires. Highly recommend this car for small size, great performance and all the bells and whistles. The 4 motion gas mileage isn't great, but that was no surprise. A sweet ride."

Could have done better

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Mentioned above"

"had this car for 4 years. Bought new, have multiple issues that VW has known about but doesn't fix. Examples include: Gas flap that won't open: At dealership acknowledged that it is happening to many Tiguans, answer was to just not close the flap. Sun Roof Screen that doesn't close all the way: Again, dealership says it happens with this model and that it closes mostly, and that they would charge to fix Fuses blowing: Have had several fuses blow. Dealship says again that this model is known for it, Other issues that we couldn't determine if it happens to other Tiguans: Water leak: Took the car multiple times to dealership. First thought it was the skylight, then door jam then it was something in engine compartment. That was it, but from the constant humidity over a year, we have rust on all parts inside the car Front lights: Have gone out twice in 4 years - seems strange to me. Issues that were just bad design: Electronic emergency brake: dumbest idea ever. If the care was more reliable, it would be great. Drives nicesly, looks good, right size for the city, decent price"

Very nice Small SUV

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, awd, nice interior,perfect size!"

Cons: "pricey, would be really nice in a clean diesel !"

"We needed 4wd for winter driving during snowstorms in VT. Past cars we had - Subaru Outback, Jeep Cherokee, VW Passat, VW Eurovan, Mini Cooper S. This Car has never let us down, great driving feel on HWY and Off. Not to big but plenty of room for 4. Panoramic sunroof is huge, finish is clean and not to plastic. Engine is plenty of get up and go w turbo yet we can get 29 mpg on the hwy if we keep from going 75mph. As with any winter car get a set of snow tires - it goes anywhere with just the right amount of clearance. Nicer car than all our previous vehicles."

Surprised!!

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Turbo - ooh la la! Bluetooth, Sirius, Nav, camera"

Cons: "In town driving, not so impressive, c/b gas"

"I traded in my 6cyl Beamer for a smaller SUV. I like Tiguan's look & styling. Got a good trade-in for my Beamer, paid the balance with cash & drove off. Living along the coast, we never know what our winters will be like. I was concerned how this lighter-weighted car would handle in snow. Surprised for sure! Incredible traction in 10 inches of snow. Driving through New England this winter where each state goes from no snow to 3 feet, this car handled beautifully. Ice, not so much, but what vehicle does? My car is loaded with all the fun technology & comfort. The trunk is smaller than I thought, but I did want a smaller car. The only thing that still bothers me is the 4cyl local driving - maybe it's the premium gas - I've tried all the name gas - Mobil, Citgo, Shell - to the no-names. Citgo is the best, but there aren't any in my area anymore. Anyway, the local drive is just okay. Highway driving is a whole other experience the turbo can't be beat -incredible. I have total confidence I can beat all the other Massachusetts drivers getting into the lane I want. If you know about us MA drivers, you'll understand how important this turbo is. Fast, sure-footed, this turbo is right on the money. If you don't mind the small size & just okay local drive, this loaded Tiguan is a great surprise."