2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.4

Based on 130 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good economy, comfort and quality"

Cons: "18" wheels make for some expensive snow tires"

"I have been 100% happy with this vehicle. From the handling, to the gas mileage, to the build quality and the comfort I have no complaints. Space is great and the little 4 cylinder puts out plenty of power for the car."

VW Tiguan

By on Friday, October 07, 2011

"I have a 2010 Tiguan, the cup holder and the emergency brake are next to each other. My wife's coffee splashed out and got on the E-brake. The E-Brake engages sometimes for 20-30 mins. and will not release, of course it was my fault even though it did this prior to the coffee incident and will not be covered by the warranty. Also, the brakes do not always work properly when stopping, sometimes you wonder if you are going to get stopped. The vehicle has great power and is comfortable, however, I would not recommend the vehicle and after the way ALL VW service department have treated us I will not ever be buying another VW. The vehicle is great when it is brand new but after some road time it will have problems. The day after I bought the car I had a note left on my windshield that said I would regret buying a VW and to get rid of it before the warranty runs out which is something like 3yr/36000 so evidently VW doesn't have much faith in their vehicles either. They cost a fortune to fix as well. Hope this helps."

Nice car, but... with BIG but.

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

Pros: "in overall - great car"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"Loved it from day 1. All was great and with no problems until 27K at 22 months old. Being away from home 250 miles, loosing coolant... visited nearest VW dealer seeking for help. Checked vehicle, could not find any thing. Gave me 2 extra bottles of coolant and OK to drive home. As soon as I get home I go to my dealership for check up: head gasket! Engine replaced. Month after, engine light is on again: mass airflow sensor. Don't trust is anymore. Can't wait to pay it off and get something else, but not VW anymore."

Excellent so far, highly recommended

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, high quality, comfortable"

Cons: "Fuel consumption in city, trunk space"

VW Tiguan S 4motion

"I bought my Tiguan S 4motion in August 2012. So far I have no complaints at all. It has excellent performance and good ride quality. It is completely rattle-free and feels like high quality luxury car. The only criticism I have is the higher than expected fuel consumption in heavy city traffic, which drops below 20 mpg. Out on the highway cruising at 60 to 70 mph 32 or 34 mpg is normal. Performance from the 2 liter turbo engine is completely effortless. With the transmission in sport mode it is especially fun to drive. When pressed hard the engine note has a satisfyingly sporty snarl. Handling feels a bit roly-poly as expected for an SUV, but the trade off is very comfortable ride over pot holed roads. The base model's 15 inch wheels also help in this regard. With the back seat in its rear-most position there is plenty of space for 3 passengers in the back seat (ample headroom and good legroom). However, the trunk space (whilst ample for shopping) is a bit limited compared to a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. Should be fine for 2 people on a road trip, but not 4 or 5 unless you fit a roof top box. Overall, I am very pleased with this car and highly recommend this model to anybody who is looking for a compact SUV."

VW Tiguan S 4motion

not great

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "price fine love to drive when its not in the shop"

Cons: "phone chargers"

"I bought this car used had it for a year and the dealer has had it more than I have first with just regular things like replaceing power switches then it went to fuel sending unit went out and they had it for 2 months now its back and had 7 codes in it to fix...."

Dissapointed

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, good price, interio/ext excellent"

Cons: "premium gas, many repairs, only 3yr warranty"

"I bought my car and after only 32k went to the mechanic 2 times. First to replace the exhaust System then a coil blow because of that repair. dealer says probably to replace at a later time the other 3 coils left. I love the car, Outside and Inside is perfect but I'm afraid that after 5 years and no warranty I might need more major repairs. I would never buy VW again :("

5 Years Going Strong

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, compact, room for small family"

Cons: "gas milage could be better for size"

"I've had my 2010 vw tIGUAN going on 5 years and still feel like it is new. I've replaced the front and rear brakes once, had an interior light issue, and electronic parking brake stick... but other than that no other fixes than regular maintenance. New tires once. I do own snow tires though too. it handles great, love the turbo. OK on gas, not great, but gets about 18 city, 20-21 highway. leather seems brand new, shines up nice, no rust. I even was rear ended and it held up good. minimal visual damage though it cost the other person 6k to fix. no injuries to the passengers."

Seriously Sporty Small SUV

By on Friday, June 07, 2013

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, options and features, VW i"

Cons: "Kind of cut-rate on details, premium fuel required"

"Bought in 2011 for good acceleration and handling -- turbo 2.0 liter engine is same as in GTI and has 6-speed torque convertor transmission (less common among small crossovers then than now). Picked SEL with upgraded Nav to get adaptive headlights, power drivers seat and back-up camera. Most expensive version (delivered: $35K). Love the performance but less excited about utility as an SUV -- small on the outside is good but this one is cramped on the inside. Minimal storage in passenger compartment and the most awkward fold down rear seats that I can recall (my old Santa Fe's were equally crude with same straps, but far easier to use and requiring less muscle.) Dealership has exceptionally good service department and with VW's no-cost maintenance I have spent $0 on anything (ran out a few months ago so I'm now on my own with pretty steep labor rates and very expensive parts). I like VW's and love the dealer -- have a second one ('08 Rabbit) and will keep it when the Tiguan goes. Interesting that the $20K Rabbit is a more refined design and has a more upscale feel even though it lacks the Tiguan's gadgets -- and it doesn't require a manual strut to keep the hood open (a real down-scale item on Tiguan)"

Honest Comparison on Tiguan

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "superb handling"

Cons: "price over the ceiling when options are added"

"i know i maybe too early to rate my Tiguan (only 1500miles,) but i m talking about 1500miles in 3wks cuz it's really a blast to drive. i had a venza (09,) a RX (03,) 2 CRVs (99,2011)"

"Free Maintenance"

By on Saturday, April 17, 2010

"We bought the Tiguan CPO in Houston. We got a steal on it. A few issues though: backup camera monitor goes blank and freezes randomly and bushings are bad. Also, the "Free Maintenance" is really just free oil changes. Wish I had asked about that before I signed the contract. The Panoramic Roof is the best part."

Great fun to drive. Agile, plenty of power.

By on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Pros: "Lots of fun to drive."

Cons: "Well above averge repair costs."

"My Tiguan is a 2010. Drives like a small European sports car. Adequate interior space, 4 motion AWD tracks very well through some of the worst winter weather driving (except higher snow drifts). My complaints are with below average reliability. Problems began at around 70,000 miles. I've had 3 water pumps, trouble with emissions system, replaced turbo, clogged injectors, replaced nearly all motor seals, and other issues. Total cost of dealer completed repairs and maintenance to date with 108k miles - $13,600 (ridiculous). If you get one of these, enjoy it until around 60k miles, then get rid of it!"

Great vehicle with a lot of power

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Handles well, can go anywhere"

Cons: "Rough ride, premium gas, not great gas mileage"

"I like this car but ride is a little rough and sometimes it feels like it is cutting out. Not thrilled with need for premium gas and without premium gas it really is noticeable."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Reason: Needed to free up money in budget to buy a new house

Pros: "Ride, MPG, dependable, solid vehicle"

Cons: "Pricey, but you get what you pay for so good value"

"I love the quality of workmanship and materials in this vehicle. I really can't come up with anything negative. The car got great mileage for a SUV, awsome ride, maintenance free (I also owned a 2010 and had the same great car). Car drives like a champ and put it in sport mode and you're driving a rocket. Maintenance was minimal. Great car. I'll buy another one in the future."

Great for the price

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great price! Fun to drive! German styling!"

Cons: "squeaky breaks/trans issues"

"I really love my Tiguan, but its already been in the shop 2 times for squeaky breaks. my car is a certified used so it been covered under warranty, thus far. There are a few things, of course that I would change on the car, but for the price of the car it was a great value. I purchased mine in January of 2014, and it had a bit of miles on it, but because it was a lease it was in practically new condition. I drove a Mercedes C300 luxury for 2 weeks prior to driving this and I HATED it. Having driven Mercedes most of my life I realized finally that the materials are getting cheaper and cheaper in them, so I drove this Tiguan. I really fell in love as soon as i got a feel for all the head room and space for what is practically a jacked up golf its not bad for around town. My fiancé and our dog are now on a long road trip and we are now realizing how super small of a car it is, and i say car because its in my opinion it actually has less space than a car for luggage. passenger space is good, but the rear hatch is super small. I have enjoyed it for the most part, but i notice the Transmission seems to shimmy a bit when you are really getting on it, and this makes me nervous, and seems to be a common issue. The breaks are also ver squeaky *but only in the mornings* and the vw guy said this is a problem on ALL of them! I am already upside down in the car, but then again thats my fault for not making a higher payment, but i didn't expect the value to drop as fast as it has in just 3 months. I am used to my cars holding a strong value, and this is a disappointment, again that is my fault for not researching. The materials are cheap as every other car on the market, but much less so than toyota or honda. It has a zippy turbo that makes it feel like a v6 and it can throw you back in your seat if you really press it. I also drive a suburban and to be honest the gas mileage per month is about a 30 dollar difference, so i was surprised it wasn't better than what it is. I will be trading this in as soon as the warranty expires, this car would have been a great first car, but for a 26 year old man like myself it isn't the best fit."

Awesome little SUV that can tow up to 2500 lb.

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable"

Cons: "engine availability. Diesel or V-6 naturally aspir"

"I am a road salesman and have had many cars. I rated this car very high because it does so much more that the cars in its field. Tows 2500 lb., seats 5 comfortably with adjustable rear seat. Fantastic suspension, fast and secure on the road, decent gas mileage at a solid 23.5 mpg combination. 210hp / 230bhp. Downside, had to put $2500 in engine at 110,000 miles to repair fuel injectors and CVT valve and main rear seal that was sucked into engine without warning! Would love to have a naturally aspirated V-6 with same HP. No turbo. That would be the perfect car."

Love it!

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, great mpg, interior"

Cons: "A little bit pricey"

"Powerful, comfortable, high quality interior, great look. If you looking for a great small SUV get Tiguan! Maybe a little pricey but better build and equipped than other cars within price range. Car could be compared to Lexus RX, Audi Q5 etc., but not products made by Toyota, Chevy or Nissan"

LOVE IT!

By on Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Pros: "Looks and drives great!"

Cons: "Wish they made a TDI version. (Premium gas only)"

"Bought a used 2013 Tiguan with 19000 miles on it. I LOVE IT so far!(I've had it 3 months) I test drove several others such as the Toy-RAV-4 and they had NO power compared to the Tiguan. The 2.0 liter Turbo will flat out get up and go. I even worry I may get a speeding ticket because you can't tell your going so fast so quick, the ride is so smooth. The sun roof is large and very nice, the Interior looks very high-end and seems well made. I do wish it was made as a TDI. but I have been averaging 26-28 mpg.(Down fall Premium gas) Go test drive one, bet you'll love it."

Very reliable vehicle in like new condition$25,000

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Great price for a very reliable vehicle"

"Goes anywhere at any time,quick acceleration(4 cylinder turbo)and makes for a comfortable drive. Engine= 2.0L I-4 Power= 200 @ 5,100 rpm Transmission= 6-spd w/OD 0-60= 8.7 seconds Drivetrain= 4Motion all wheel Seating= 5 passengers(Front Seats Heated) Cargo=56.1 cu.ft. MPG= 18 City / 24 HWY Option of having Sirius Radio"

Tiguan

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

"I traded in a VW Beetle Convertible for the 2009 Tiguan. I loved my Beetle, but felt it was just too small for me and I wanted something a little more rugged. Amazingly, my MPG didn't go down as much as I had anticipated, and the little Tiguan handles much better. There was a problem with the gas gauge, but it was fixed and VW gave me a free full tank of gas!!!! I have been a loyal VW consumer for many years, and although there have been times when engineering didn't really hold up against some of the other cars on the market. This time, however, I think that the Tiguan is a much better car than its Toyota counterpart (RAV-4) and Honda counterpart (CRV). With a turbo-engine, tiptronic, and overall great comfort and look, I LOVE my new Tiguan. Just wish that I would have held out for leather interior!"

Great little SUV

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Only wish it had a programmable remote"

"I have owned BMW's,Mercedes,and this is my first vw. I purchased the vehicle new and has been very comfortable and lovely to drive. Easy to park anywhere."

Fantastic

By on Monday, October 11, 2010

"Excellent! Just the right size, great pick up, very comfy, everthing is easy to get to. You must look at this. They are not that easy to find. But it is worth the wait!"

Tiguan = An SUV with lots of GTI DNA

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "S Model = best value, 6 spd ... think a lifted GTI"

Cons: "Dealer service is expensive - DIY easy to save $$"

"Over the years I've owned many cars (BMW, VW, Nissan, Ford, Jeep) and of all of them, the Tiguan has offered me the best mix of performance, comfort, and price to date. I have the S model (6spd manual) and it rides and feels like a GTI with a 6 inch lift on it. The pricing for a Tiguan can vary widely (from $22K to $40K - as new), however the real value with the Tiguan lies in the S model. With 65000 miles now on the clock, I've had no unscheduled maintenace except for a throttle body which was replaced under warranty. I've performed my own maintenance as well (tune up, oil changes, etc) and everything for routine maintenance is very easy to access for DIY savings. Example - my 60,000 mile service cost me $75 vs. the dealer price of $450. What did it require? ... spark plugs (easy), oil change (easy), brake fluid change (brake masters did it for $30), and air filter changes (easy). Overall the fit/finish and quality of the materials of the Tiguan are outstanding. Again, the real value in a Tiguan is in buying the lower priced S model. Don't forget there are so many aftermarket upgrades you can make to your S-Tiguan to make it look and perform better than the top of the line R model. One last thing ... I LOVE the fact that I have cloth seats here in AZ. Finding a quality european car with cloth seats these days is harder than one would think."

Good, but has trade offs

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

"I had this vehicle as my primary vehicle as daily commute and business trips vehicle. 1. Great quality and materials used. Feels like a luxury CUV. I've driven MBZ GL450, Toyota RAV4. VW feels much substantial than Toyota. The material and feel of the vehicle, is not much off from MBZ. I've driven a Jetta TDI Wagon as a rental for a few days. It does not even touch the Tiguan on road manner and handling. Solid and secure at high speed. 2. MPG is not great, 22-23mpg and requires premium. 3. 2.0TSI is great, but at 80K, engine light came on. Spent $800 for a valve cleaning job. Was told by the dealer that Direct Injection was clogged causing cylinder misfires. Great new to me was that engine was fine, but require manual cleaning of the valves tha requires $$$$. 4. Reliability. Mine besides the valve cleaning, no other repairs was needed. I drive 18-20K a year. Car runs and runs. The Tiguan actually feels more powerful than when it was new. It feels looser, and Revs more freely now the engine. The engine still sounds like new."

Awesome Vehicle

By on Sunday, June 21, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, great sound system, practical"

Cons: "Premium Gas ($), electronic e-brake"

"I bought one for my first car in January and its been amazing to me. Besides the great looks and accessibility it feels like a sports car. Great car for anyone in need of a practical, yet sporty car."

Excellent winter car

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pros: "Quality"

Cons: "Fuel mpg"

"Excellent car"