2010 Volkswagen Tiguan

Based on 122 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Could have done better

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Mentioned above"

"had this car for 4 years. Bought new, have multiple issues that VW has known about but doesn't fix. Examples include: Gas flap that won't open: At dealership acknowledged that it is happening to many Tiguans, answer was to just not close the flap. Sun Roof Screen that doesn't close all the way: Again, dealership says it happens with this model and that it closes mostly, and that they would charge to fix Fuses blowing: Have had several fuses blow. Dealship says again that this model is known for it, Other issues that we couldn't determine if it happens to other Tiguans: Water leak: Took the car multiple times to dealership. First thought it was the skylight, then door jam then it was something in engine compartment. That was it, but from the constant humidity over a year, we have rust on all parts inside the car Front lights: Have gone out twice in 4 years - seems strange to me. Issues that were just bad design: Electronic emergency brake: dumbest idea ever. If the care was more reliable, it would be great. Drives nicesly, looks good, right size for the city, decent price"

Very nice Small SUV

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, awd, nice interior,perfect size!"

Cons: "pricey, would be really nice in a clean diesel !"

"We needed 4wd for winter driving during snowstorms in VT. Past cars we had - Subaru Outback, Jeep Cherokee, VW Passat, VW Eurovan, Mini Cooper S. This Car has never let us down, great driving feel on HWY and Off. Not to big but plenty of room for 4. Panoramic sunroof is huge, finish is clean and not to plastic. Engine is plenty of get up and go w turbo yet we can get 29 mpg on the hwy if we keep from going 75mph. As with any winter car get a set of snow tires - it goes anywhere with just the right amount of clearance. Nicer car than all our previous vehicles."

Surprised!!

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Turbo - ooh la la! Bluetooth, Sirius, Nav, camera"

Cons: "In town driving, not so impressive, c/b gas"

"I traded in my 6cyl Beamer for a smaller SUV. I like Tiguan's look & styling. Got a good trade-in for my Beamer, paid the balance with cash & drove off. Living along the coast, we never know what our winters will be like. I was concerned how this lighter-weighted car would handle in snow. Surprised for sure! Incredible traction in 10 inches of snow. Driving through New England this winter where each state goes from no snow to 3 feet, this car handled beautifully. Ice, not so much, but what vehicle does? My car is loaded with all the fun technology & comfort. The trunk is smaller than I thought, but I did want a smaller car. The only thing that still bothers me is the 4cyl local driving - maybe it's the premium gas - I've tried all the name gas - Mobil, Citgo, Shell - to the no-names. Citgo is the best, but there aren't any in my area anymore. Anyway, the local drive is just okay. Highway driving is a whole other experience the turbo can't be beat -incredible. I have total confidence I can beat all the other Massachusetts drivers getting into the lane I want. If you know about us MA drivers, you'll understand how important this turbo is. Fast, sure-footed, this turbo is right on the money. If you don't mind the small size & just okay local drive, this loaded Tiguan is a great surprise."

1st VW, great ride, sporty, quick, stylish

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Sporty fun to drive"

Cons: "Average mileage, high maintenance costs"

"I leased my 2011 Tiguan SE with Panormaic roof and GPS and will be purchasing it. First off the upside: It is the nicest car I will have ever purchased. The ride is quiet on the freeway but can get mildly clunky on uneven surfaces. The leatherette seats are comfortable and easy to clean. The comfort is fantastic for a tall guy like me (6'5"). The handling and breaking is phenomenal! Excellent cornering, acceleration, and braking. Sport mode on curvy Sierra foothill highways is like a rollercoaster ride, better than any SUV I have ever driven and I have owned a few. I love the panoramic roof but the GPS is average often not reliably locating addresses and can be complicated to use. The 4motion is excellent in snow although the open wheel design can get packed with snow and cause a vibration comparable to a wheel out of balance. The downside: I had a bad fuse that melted in the fusebox slot after warranty but the VW dealer replaced free of charge anyway. I also had an intake manifild go bad at 30,000 miles that was covered under warranty. Mileage is averaging 23 per gallon, 19 city, 25 highway just as advertised. Not bad but there are many CUVs that have better. I had the free maintenance and once that was over I took it to a reputable local foreign car service for maintenance. I'd say the average service costs for a turbocharged VW is around $300-500 per 10,000 miles driven. That is not cheap but the car performs as good as the day I bought it. I'd recommend this car for the fun driving and comfort but will add that you should keep up on your maintenance if you want to avoid more expensive fixes and shop time."

It's a good car

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Engine, great price, fun to drive, gas"

Cons: "base model could have more standard features"

"This car is very fast, it has the 2.0 TSi engine with turbo and it sounds beautiful when the turbo is activated. We own 2 of them and are very happy"

Ilove the full top sun roof with screen slide over

By on Saturday, November 02, 2013

"the way it handles on the road very smooth ride it is clean, and never been smoked in.always detailed once a year in and out."

Good, but....

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "AWD, design, safety"

Cons: "price,cargo space,fuel injectors,VW claim service"

"I've had this vehicle (4 motion AWD) for close to 3 years. I've been happy with the car and had no major incidents until 4 months ago when the fuel injector broke down and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn't under warranty i'd be out of ~6k. Filed a trip interruption expense claim at VW, it took forever to get reviewed; I was granted compensation but haven't seen anything yet. They're unbelievably inefficient and slow. I like the ( interior & exterior) design, the sound system and handling/stability. Performs well in snow/on ice. Downsides are small cargo space and seat material which appears difficult to clean. I am concerned about expensive breakdowns after I'm out of warranty."

Great little SUV

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Only wish it had a programmable remote"

"I have owned BMW's,Mercedes,and this is my first vw. I purchased the vehicle new and has been very comfortable and lovely to drive. Easy to park anywhere."

Best SUV I have owned.

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

"I have owned 4 SUVs (Mercedes, Acura, Subaru, Ford )this one seems higher quality than others. I like everything about it."

Small, Sporty Crossover

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Sporty and fun to drive -- a GTI stationwagon"

Cons: "Little cabin storage, slow infotainment system"

"Top of the line model at top of class pricing. Small in all respects which is attribute driving and parking, but limited cargo capacity and little interior storage. Some obvious cost cutting like strut to hold up hood and insubstantial feel of door hardware. Very slow startup of navigation- rear camera-entertainment system and slow acceptance of touchscreen inputs. Turbo engine and good handling compensate for these shortcomings, but premium price, need for premium fuel and only OK fuel mileage (best tankful as measured by car's computer on trip has been 26mpg with mixed suburban/open highway running around 22mpg) make this a "once only" purchase."

VW Needs to Rethink this Model

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Reason: Lack of amenities, mediocre mpg, cheap materials

Pros: "Nice looking"

Cons: "Over priced for what you get"

"On the upside, the Tiguan is nicely styled, has a very component engine and a decent driving position. Unfortunately, that's where the positives end for me. One of my first complaints about the Tiguan is in its packaging. First up, even the base model Tiguan is not cheap and one would expect the standard items and a few more upscale ones as well for the price. Wrong. In the base model you do not get an iPod connector, HD radio or heated seats. In other vehicles in this price range, these items are pretty much a given. Secondly, the fabric material on the seats is horrible. It's ugly, looks incredibly cheap and worst of all, attracts every piece of lint to it. Speaking of cheap, the knobs on the sound system look like they came out of a Fisher Price bargain bin. While the Tiguan could possibly be a good car -- it is not. One other detail, the depreciation on this vehicle is beyond belief. When I chose to get rid of it after 5 months and saw how much it had depreciated, I could not believe it. Nice car but a lot better choices out there."

One year old car won't stop squeaking

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "0% finance"

Cons: "Everything else"

"Bought this car a year ago as the reviews looked good. Three months later, the brakes started to squeak every time we backed up. We have had the car looked at by VW who told us this was "normal" and refuses to do anything about it. We talked to VW America and we were met with a bunch of paper pushers who did not even know what the car looked like. The car drives fairly well but the trunk is tiny (smaller than my sedan) so if you plan to carry anything or go on a trip, it will not work. I have had more than a dozen cars in my life but this one is the worst!"

I love the experience of owning this car!

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "handling and acceleration"

Cons: "maintenance cost"

"excellent handling and pick up. good gas mileage for the acceleration provided. great for cruising the beach or driving in traffic. excellent on the highway. steering like nothing I have experienced. only con is that repairs and maintenance are more expensive."

Excellent so far, highly recommended

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, high quality, comfortable"

Cons: "Fuel consumption in city, trunk space"

VW Tiguan S 4motion

"I bought my Tiguan S 4motion in August 2012. So far I have no complaints at all. It has excellent performance and good ride quality. It is completely rattle-free and feels like high quality luxury car. The only criticism I have is the higher than expected fuel consumption in heavy city traffic, which drops below 20 mpg. Out on the highway cruising at 60 to 70 mph 32 or 34 mpg is normal. Performance from the 2 liter turbo engine is completely effortless. With the transmission in sport mode it is especially fun to drive. When pressed hard the engine note has a satisfyingly sporty snarl. Handling feels a bit roly-poly as expected for an SUV, but the trade off is very comfortable ride over pot holed roads. The base model's 15 inch wheels also help in this regard. With the back seat in its rear-most position there is plenty of space for 3 passengers in the back seat (ample headroom and good legroom). However, the trunk space (whilst ample for shopping) is a bit limited compared to a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. Should be fine for 2 people on a road trip, but not 4 or 5 unless you fit a roof top box. Overall, I am very pleased with this car and highly recommend this model to anybody who is looking for a compact SUV."

VW Tiguan S 4motion

Seriously Sporty Small SUV

By on Friday, June 07, 2013

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, options and features, VW i"

Cons: "Kind of cut-rate on details, premium fuel required"

"Bought in 2011 for good acceleration and handling -- turbo 2.0 liter engine is same as in GTI and has 6-speed torque convertor transmission (less common among small crossovers then than now). Picked SEL with upgraded Nav to get adaptive headlights, power drivers seat and back-up camera. Most expensive version (delivered: $35K). Love the performance but less excited about utility as an SUV -- small on the outside is good but this one is cramped on the inside. Minimal storage in passenger compartment and the most awkward fold down rear seats that I can recall (my old Santa Fe's were equally crude with same straps, but far easier to use and requiring less muscle.) Dealership has exceptionally good service department and with VW's no-cost maintenance I have spent $0 on anything (ran out a few months ago so I'm now on my own with pretty steep labor rates and very expensive parts). I like VW's and love the dealer -- have a second one ('08 Rabbit) and will keep it when the Tiguan goes. Interesting that the $20K Rabbit is a more refined design and has a more upscale feel even though it lacks the Tiguan's gadgets -- and it doesn't require a manual strut to keep the hood open (a real down-scale item on Tiguan)"

not great

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "price fine love to drive when its not in the shop"

Cons: "phone chargers"

"I bought this car used had it for a year and the dealer has had it more than I have first with just regular things like replaceing power switches then it went to fuel sending unit went out and they had it for 2 months now its back and had 7 codes in it to fix...."

TRUE VW.

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "styling and fit/finish"

Cons: "repair costs"

"I am a lifelong VW owner. They do have a few quirks to deal with (maint and repair) but nothing drives like they do."

Fun and good design!

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great value."

Cons: "premium gas."

"Fun to drive. Smart and cute. Stylish exterior and premium interior. I love my car!"

Dissapointed

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, good price, interio/ext excellent"

Cons: "premium gas, many repairs, only 3yr warranty"

"I bought my car and after only 32k went to the mechanic 2 times. First to replace the exhaust System then a coil blow because of that repair. dealer says probably to replace at a later time the other 3 coils left. I love the car, Outside and Inside is perfect but I'm afraid that after 5 years and no warranty I might need more major repairs. I would never buy VW again :("

Amazing SUV

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, small enough to fit everywhere"

Cons: "Bumpy ride"

"Extremely fun to drive. Love the interior, it's very comfortable in both passenger seat and driver seat. Only complaint is that the Tigaun SEL is not as smooth riding as I would have hoped. If you want a smoother ride chose a S or SE."

Very Happy with 2013 SEL 4 Motion Tiguan

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Driving, handling , pick up and design"

Cons: "The Ride....rougher in the SEL series."

"We have about 1,200 miles on our Tiguan. The handling and driving is a 10. The exterior and Interior design is great, comfort seating is wonderful. We have the 4-Motion series (AWD) and it handles great in the snow. Fun to drive, great pick up and for passing !! The only negative I see is that the SEL series has a "sport" ride which is not as smooth as the SE or the S model. This is primarily due to the 19 inch tires/wheels on the SEL series. However, we still LOVE the vehicle. We liked it better than the Honda CRV , the Toyota RAV 4 and the Chevy Equinox. Has a 12 yr rust corrision warranty"

i do not recomend it at all to anyone

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "everything else"

"there isnt much to say the dealer was VERY NICE AWSOME COSTUMER SERVICE BUT !!!! the car is horrible."

Refinement at a great price

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Driving experience, quality of materials"

Cons: "None to date"

"I've had my 2013 Tiguan S for a little over a month and am very pleased so far. I gave the Tiguan a "9" rating on the scale simply because no car (or anything for that matter is perfect) but it comes close in the automotive world. In sum, great driving dynamics, handling and interior fit, finish and quality are flawless and on par with Audi as has been noted in many reviews. One thing I particularly like about the Tiguan is the simplicity, logic and clarity of the interior layout and functions. While the Tiguan is pricier than similar competitors, it lives up to the adage that "you get what you pay for" and, in this case, it's a quality build and materials."

Fun to drive - great car

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "Size, ride, utility"

"We own a 2010 Tiguan SEL 4Motion. After an initial navigation system glitch (turned out to be a bad antenna) we are extremely happy with this SUV. It is sporty and fun to drive. The turbo gives it plenty of power when needed. It has a firm, smooth ride and handles bumps well. Also does great in the snow. It has good cargo space for a full load of groceries with the seats up, and with the rear seats down, it has a lot of usable space for bikes, small furniture pieces, etc. Reliability has been excellent and parking it in urban areas is easy. It is a perfect small SUV for city dwellers."

Love it!

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, great mpg, interior"

Cons: "A little bit pricey"

"Powerful, comfortable, high quality interior, great look. If you looking for a great small SUV get Tiguan! Maybe a little pricey but better build and equipped than other cars within price range. Car could be compared to Lexus RX, Audi Q5 etc., but not products made by Toyota, Chevy or Nissan"