2010 Volkswagen Tiguan

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Fun, well-constructed with some engine problems

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

Pros: "Great handling, peppy for small SUV."

Cons: "Problematic engine coils; limited storage/truck."

"As one of the prior reviewers noted, the S-model is a great buy... no fancy stuff but great price. I bought one with manual transmission and it feels like a real automobile, not one of those tinker cars! Dealer couldn't wait to get it off his lot -great price, under $22K. Only problem has been "engine". At 26000 miles, almost 3 years (still under warranty) one of the ignition coils failed. Not much pep in a 4 cylinder with one not functioning. Dealer replaced. Ten days later another ignition coil failed. Now have four new coils. Hoping the new coils last. Other than this problem this is probably the best engineered car I have owned since my 1961 Chevy Impala."

Tiguan = An SUV with lots of GTI DNA

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "S Model = best value, 6 spd ... think a lifted GTI"

Cons: "Dealer service is expensive - DIY easy to save $$"

"Over the years I've owned many cars (BMW, VW, Nissan, Ford, Jeep) and of all of them, the Tiguan has offered me the best mix of performance, comfort, and price to date. I have the S model (6spd manual) and it rides and feels like a GTI with a 6 inch lift on it. The pricing for a Tiguan can vary widely (from $22K to $40K - as new), however the real value with the Tiguan lies in the S model. With 65000 miles now on the clock, I've had no unscheduled maintenace except for a throttle body which was replaced under warranty. I've performed my own maintenance as well (tune up, oil changes, etc) and everything for routine maintenance is very easy to access for DIY savings. Example - my 60,000 mile service cost me $75 vs. the dealer price of $450. What did it require? ... spark plugs (easy), oil change (easy), brake fluid change (brake masters did it for $30), and air filter changes (easy). Overall the fit/finish and quality of the materials of the Tiguan are outstanding. Again, the real value in a Tiguan is in buying the lower priced S model. Don't forget there are so many aftermarket upgrades you can make to your S-Tiguan to make it look and perform better than the top of the line R model. One last thing ... I LOVE the fact that I have cloth seats here in AZ. Finding a quality european car with cloth seats these days is harder than one would think."

ridesn nice

By on Saturday, March 28, 2015

I want this car

Pros: "nice car good reputation"

Cons: "dont know seller"

"like the car but it has 100000 miles on it and wondering what maintenance will be coming up"

Great fun to drive. Agile, plenty of power.

By on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Pros: "Lots of fun to drive."

Cons: "Well above averge repair costs."

"My Tiguan is a 2010. Drives like a small European sports car. Adequate interior space, 4 motion AWD tracks very well through some of the worst winter weather driving (except higher snow drifts). My complaints are with below average reliability. Problems began at around 70,000 miles. I've had 3 water pumps, trouble with emissions system, replaced turbo, clogged injectors, replaced nearly all motor seals, and other issues. Total cost of dealer completed repairs and maintenance to date with 108k miles - $13,600 (ridiculous). If you get one of these, enjoy it until around 60k miles, then get rid of it!"

This is an excellent small SUV, great driving...

By on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Pros: "Great power, good fit and finish, comfortable..."

Cons: "Premium gas, average mpg..."

"The Tiguan has impressive performance and power that gets you everywhere. Fit and finish are quite good, and the cabin is spacious for its size. The engine is very peppy, although it runs on premium gas that makes it more expensive to own. However, the overall good quality, nice dimensions that make it easy to park and maneuver, and fairly low road noise make it a good choice among other SUV's."

Enjoyable, just avoid the running boards!

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Stained running boards"

"We picked up this car a couple months ago, and we have enjoyed it so far. You know going in that this car is going to be short on rear cargo space, the gas mileage is not going to be as good as the competitors, and the safety ratings on this car are not as good as they could be. That being said, you get a comfortable riding car that is fun to drive. Our biggest complaint is the running boards. While they looked great off the lot, and they are helpful for our child, they are stained from the winter road treatment. The dealership says I can get down there and scrub them with steel wool, but to be honest, I don't baby my car that much. I keep it clean and run it through the car wash regularly, but I don't fine tooth comb it. Plus, I really don't want to risk putting scratches on them. So unless you need them, I recommend saving the cash. All in all, great car. I can't say it enough, don't get the running boards (unless you are the kind of person that enjoys scrubbing your car with steel wool)."

5 Years Going Strong

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, compact, room for small family"

Cons: "gas milage could be better for size"

"I've had my 2010 vw tIGUAN going on 5 years and still feel like it is new. I've replaced the front and rear brakes once, had an interior light issue, and electronic parking brake stick... but other than that no other fixes than regular maintenance. New tires once. I do own snow tires though too. it handles great, love the turbo. OK on gas, not great, but gets about 18 city, 20-21 highway. leather seems brand new, shines up nice, no rust. I even was rear ended and it held up good. minimal visual damage though it cost the other person 6k to fix. no injuries to the passengers."

Good, but has trade offs

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

"I had this vehicle as my primary vehicle as daily commute and business trips vehicle. 1. Great quality and materials used. Feels like a luxury CUV. I've driven MBZ GL450, Toyota RAV4. VW feels much substantial than Toyota. The material and feel of the vehicle, is not much off from MBZ. I've driven a Jetta TDI Wagon as a rental for a few days. It does not even touch the Tiguan on road manner and handling. Solid and secure at high speed. 2. MPG is not great, 22-23mpg and requires premium. 3. 2.0TSI is great, but at 80K, engine light came on. Spent $800 for a valve cleaning job. Was told by the dealer that Direct Injection was clogged causing cylinder misfires. Great new to me was that engine was fine, but require manual cleaning of the valves tha requires $$$$. 4. Reliability. Mine besides the valve cleaning, no other repairs was needed. I drive 18-20K a year. Car runs and runs. The Tiguan actually feels more powerful than when it was new. It feels looser, and Revs more freely now the engine. The engine still sounds like new."

Brand new Tiguan a pleasure to drive

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive! Upscale feel to interior!"

Cons: "Premium unleaded huel recommended by VW."

"Have had car several weeks and I am so glad I bought Tiguan over the Subaru Outback. It has pep and has an up scale feel to it."

Appreciate the German engineering.

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "My wife and I have been the only drivers ."

Cons: "Would have enjoyed power seats."

"My wife and I are both home bound because of our health and must give up our drivers license ."

Excellent winter car

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pros: "Quality"

Cons: "Fuel mpg"

"Excellent car"

Nice car - not reliable

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

"Has left my wife stranded more than once - running out of gas not included. Great car when working properly. Drives nice, plenty of power, looks good, comfortable. Heating and A/C control is not up to the standard of the rest of the car."

Comfortable, though not alot of storage space

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Navigation/Audio and Panaramic roof are top notch"

Cons: "Gas miieage with kids and stuff, only so-so"

"Have had this Tiquan for one year, and it has been a pleasure to drive. Engine has quite a bit of pep to it. Though when we had whole family in it, along with cargo box on roof and three mountain bikes mounted on back, it was pretty sluggish. Gas mileage is not as good as the Jetta Sportswagen, but head height is much approved. We can get away with the lack of rear storage through use of a cargo box mounted to the factory rail system. Unfortunately it takes the view of our panorama roof away, and it quite noisy at highway speeds."

efficient power house

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "Very fun drive"

"This Cross Over looks small and sleek on the outside. I am always amazed when I get inside at how much room there is. Plenty of room to take home the big box store items in one trip not to mention a trip to the hardware store for home improvement projects! I took a quick trip up to San Francisco and back in 24 hours. The ride was comfortable with lots of room to stretch out and maintain my own space!"

Compact and very comfortable

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "Comfort and drive feel are superb"

Cons: "Small cargo space, gas mileage just OK"

"I was looking for compact SUV that did not feel bulky and would be comfortable on long trips. This is the most comfortable car I have owned (previously had Subarus) and it drives so smoothly one feels like its gliding on the road. Seats are incredibly comfortable for all five passengers. Small minuses: Cargo space is limited if there are four or five passengers. has a substantial blind spot. Otherwise, a great car."

Good average car, a bit overpriced.

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "not too good on gas for a 4 cylinder car."

Cons: "handled well in snow."

"overall happy with car and handling,"

Happier than I thought I would be.

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "price, fun to drive, trim, MPGs, comfort"

Cons: "cargo space"

"I traded in my beloved Dodge Caliber because I wanted something that had less road noise and was trimmed out a little better. Initially, I wanted the Audi Q5, but quickly discovered it was more than a little out of my price range. I learned that the Tiguan was built on the same platform, in the same factory, as the Q5, so I decided I would give it a look. Boy, I am glad I did! Not only do I get good gas mileage, but I get lots of extra bells and whistles that I would have had to pay an additional $20K for to get as standards in the Audi. I love the panoramic sunroof, and it very comfortably seats 4 grown adults. My ONLY complaint is that the cargo space is fine for grocery trips, it is a little small for an active family and long road trips. However, a pod on the roof rack will fix that the next time we hit the road."

Awesome little SUV that can tow up to 2500 lb.

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable"

Cons: "engine availability. Diesel or V-6 naturally aspir"

"I am a road salesman and have had many cars. I rated this car very high because it does so much more that the cars in its field. Tows 2500 lb., seats 5 comfortably with adjustable rear seat. Fantastic suspension, fast and secure on the road, decent gas mileage at a solid 23.5 mpg combination. 210hp / 230bhp. Downside, had to put $2500 in engine at 110,000 miles to repair fuel injectors and CVT valve and main rear seal that was sucked into engine without warning! Would love to have a naturally aspirated V-6 with same HP. No turbo. That would be the perfect car."

Great car for the price!

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

"Have owned several VW products back to the 60's. Good product, with German engineering."

Excellent value, the GTI of SUVs

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, quality, performance, great to drive"

Cons: "Luggage space, fuel consumption"

"After almost 2 years ownership we still love this car. It's well made, has excellent performance and is extremely comfortable. The interior is made to Audi quality standards. The ride is excellent over Houston's potholed roads. The only negative is that the luggage space is a bit limited compared to it's competitors. We've had no reliability issues whatsoever. The turbo engine delivers effortless acceleration that shames many sportscars. Fuel economy is a but higher than expected, especially around town. Highly recommended."

Great car to drive.

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Great size."

Cons: "Several recalls in 5 years."

"Love the way it handles. Good size SUV for me - just big enough."

Great vehicle with a lot of power

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Handles well, can go anywhere"

Cons: "Rough ride, premium gas, not great gas mileage"

"I like this car but ride is a little rough and sometimes it feels like it is cutting out. Not thrilled with need for premium gas and without premium gas it really is noticeable."

Great for the price

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great price! Fun to drive! German styling!"

Cons: "squeaky breaks/trans issues"

"I really love my Tiguan, but its already been in the shop 2 times for squeaky breaks. my car is a certified used so it been covered under warranty, thus far. There are a few things, of course that I would change on the car, but for the price of the car it was a great value. I purchased mine in January of 2014, and it had a bit of miles on it, but because it was a lease it was in practically new condition. I drove a Mercedes C300 luxury for 2 weeks prior to driving this and I HATED it. Having driven Mercedes most of my life I realized finally that the materials are getting cheaper and cheaper in them, so I drove this Tiguan. I really fell in love as soon as i got a feel for all the head room and space for what is practically a jacked up golf its not bad for around town. My fiancé and our dog are now on a long road trip and we are now realizing how super small of a car it is, and i say car because its in my opinion it actually has less space than a car for luggage. passenger space is good, but the rear hatch is super small. I have enjoyed it for the most part, but i notice the Transmission seems to shimmy a bit when you are really getting on it, and this makes me nervous, and seems to be a common issue. The breaks are also ver squeaky *but only in the mornings* and the vw guy said this is a problem on ALL of them! I am already upside down in the car, but then again thats my fault for not making a higher payment, but i didn't expect the value to drop as fast as it has in just 3 months. I am used to my cars holding a strong value, and this is a disappointment, again that is my fault for not researching. The materials are cheap as every other car on the market, but much less so than toyota or honda. It has a zippy turbo that makes it feel like a v6 and it can throw you back in your seat if you really press it. I also drive a suburban and to be honest the gas mileage per month is about a 30 dollar difference, so i was surprised it wasn't better than what it is. I will be trading this in as soon as the warranty expires, this car would have been a great first car, but for a 26 year old man like myself it isn't the best fit."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Reason: Needed to free up money in budget to buy a new house

Pros: "Ride, MPG, dependable, solid vehicle"

Cons: "Pricey, but you get what you pay for so good value"

"I love the quality of workmanship and materials in this vehicle. I really can't come up with anything negative. The car got great mileage for a SUV, awsome ride, maintenance free (I also owned a 2010 and had the same great car). Car drives like a champ and put it in sport mode and you're driving a rocket. Maintenance was minimal. Great car. I'll buy another one in the future."

AC unit configuration

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "built well from research findings"

Cons: "AC unit - yuk"

"I don't understand the way they are making cars at all. Do people really care about viewing the radio and music that much? I prefer the Air Conditioning to be configured just like the Passat is or the Nissan Sentra. Why did they start believing that a split Air Conditioning is better? I'm here to tell you - it's Awful. No air blows on me - but it sure does blow on my hands!! Consumers be aware!"