2009 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 139 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

Good, but....

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "AWD, design, safety"

Cons: "price,cargo space,fuel injectors,VW claim service"

"I've had this vehicle (4 motion AWD) for close to 3 years. I've been happy with the car and had no major incidents until 4 months ago when the fuel injector broke down and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn't under warranty i'd be out of ~6k. Filed a trip interruption expense claim at VW, it took forever to get reviewed; I was granted compensation but haven't seen anything yet. They're unbelievably inefficient and slow. I like the ( interior & exterior) design, the sound system and handling/stability. Performs well in snow/on ice. Downsides are small cargo space and seat material which appears difficult to clean. I am concerned about expensive breakdowns after I'm out of warranty."

Very Happy with 2013 SEL 4 Motion Tiguan

By on Friday, February 1, 2013

Pros: "Driving, handling , pick up and design"

Cons: "The Ride....rougher in the SEL series."

"We have about 1,200 miles on our Tiguan. The handling and driving is a 10. The exterior and Interior design is great, comfort seating is wonderful. We have the 4-Motion series (AWD) and it handles great in the snow. Fun to drive, great pick up and for passing !! The only negative I see is that the SEL series has a "sport" ride which is not as smooth as the SE or the S model. This is primarily due to the 19 inch tires/wheels on the SEL series. However, we still LOVE the vehicle. We liked it better than the Honda CRV , the Toyota RAV 4 and the Chevy Equinox. Has a 12 yr rust corrision warranty"

Could have done better

By on Monday, February 3, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Mentioned above"

"had this car for 4 years. Bought new, have multiple issues that VW has known about but doesn't fix. Examples include: Gas flap that won't open: At dealership acknowledged that it is happening to many Tiguans, answer was to just not close the flap. Sun Roof Screen that doesn't close all the way: Again, dealership says it happens with this model and that it closes mostly, and that they would charge to fix Fuses blowing: Have had several fuses blow. Dealship says again that this model is known for it, Other issues that we couldn't determine if it happens to other Tiguans: Water leak: Took the car multiple times to dealership. First thought it was the skylight, then door jam then it was something in engine compartment. That was it, but from the constant humidity over a year, we have rust on all parts inside the car Front lights: Have gone out twice in 4 years - seems strange to me. Issues that were just bad design: Electronic emergency brake: dumbest idea ever. If the care was more reliable, it would be great. Drives nicesly, looks good, right size for the city, decent price"

Very nice in city or on open highway

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "great acceleration and handling. FUN to drive"

Cons: "Premium gas, small storage area,"

"Low fatigue factor. Did very well in snow and ice, Low maintenance. Turbo makes this vehicle an excellent choice over competition."

I love my Tiguan!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "great value, sporty, full loaded, dependable"

"I owned a Ford Edge before purchasing my Tiguan last year and can only rave about my Tiguan. My Edge can't compare to the value I've found in this car. Although it only has a 4-cylinder compared to my 6-cyclinder Edge, it's lighter and sporty so I don't notice a decrease in power. The turbo can really get you where you need to be. I purchased my Tiguan for about $10,000 less than an Edge with all the same amentities. This car has been great and that's coming from a previous VW owner who swore never to own another VW after a terrible Jetta experience. My son asked me the other day if I'd get another Tiguan if something happened to the one I have now. I told him I'd absolutely make the same decision again to purchase a Tiguan. You can't beat the car for the money...not to mention the VW dealerships around here provide much better service than the Ford dealerships....I love my Tiguan and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great small SUV that's fully loaded."