2009 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

I love this car!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Reason: Needed to free up money in budget to buy a new house

Pros: "Ride, MPG, dependable, solid vehicle"

Cons: "Pricey, but you get what you pay for so good value"

"I love the quality of workmanship and materials in this vehicle. I really can't come up with anything negative. The car got great mileage for a SUV, awsome ride, maintenance free (I also owned a 2010 and had the same great car). Car drives like a champ and put it in sport mode and you're driving a rocket. Maintenance was minimal. Great car. I'll buy another one in the future."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pros: "Comes standard with bluetooth!"

Cons: "small trunk space..."

"I never considered a Volkswagen before and after weeks of research (thank you KBB), I was down to the CRV and Tiguan. I test drove both and I LOVED the Tiguan. I have only had the car for a month, but I am so happy with the choice I made. This car is SUPER FUN to drive and I only got the base model. Plus, I love that it comes with Bluetooth standard (the Honda doesn't) and I can play my iPhone with Blutooth audio!"

Great for the price

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great price! Fun to drive! German styling!"

Cons: "squeaky breaks/trans issues"

"I really love my Tiguan, but its already been in the shop 2 times for squeaky breaks. my car is a certified used so it been covered under warranty, thus far. There are a few things, of course that I would change on the car, but for the price of the car it was a great value. I purchased mine in January of 2014, and it had a bit of miles on it, but because it was a lease it was in practically new condition. I drove a Mercedes C300 luxury for 2 weeks prior to driving this and I HATED it. Having driven Mercedes most of my life I realized finally that the materials are getting cheaper and cheaper in them, so I drove this Tiguan. I really fell in love as soon as i got a feel for all the head room and space for what is practically a jacked up golf its not bad for around town. My fiancé and our dog are now on a long road trip and we are now realizing how super small of a car it is, and i say car because its in my opinion it actually has less space than a car for luggage. passenger space is good, but the rear hatch is super small. I have enjoyed it for the most part, but i notice the Transmission seems to shimmy a bit when you are really getting on it, and this makes me nervous, and seems to be a common issue. The breaks are also ver squeaky *but only in the mornings* and the vw guy said this is a problem on ALL of them! I am already upside down in the car, but then again thats my fault for not making a higher payment, but i didn't expect the value to drop as fast as it has in just 3 months. I am used to my cars holding a strong value, and this is a disappointment, again that is my fault for not researching. The materials are cheap as every other car on the market, but much less so than toyota or honda. It has a zippy turbo that makes it feel like a v6 and it can throw you back in your seat if you really press it. I also drive a suburban and to be honest the gas mileage per month is about a 30 dollar difference, so i was surprised it wasn't better than what it is. I will be trading this in as soon as the warranty expires, this car would have been a great first car, but for a 26 year old man like myself it isn't the best fit."

Excellent so far, highly recommended

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, high quality, comfortable"

Cons: "Fuel consumption in city, trunk space"

VW Tiguan S 4motion

"I bought my Tiguan S 4motion in August 2012. So far I have no complaints at all. It has excellent performance and good ride quality. It is completely rattle-free and feels like high quality luxury car. The only criticism I have is the higher than expected fuel consumption in heavy city traffic, which drops below 20 mpg. Out on the highway cruising at 60 to 70 mph 32 or 34 mpg is normal. Performance from the 2 liter turbo engine is completely effortless. With the transmission in sport mode it is especially fun to drive. When pressed hard the engine note has a satisfyingly sporty snarl. Handling feels a bit roly-poly as expected for an SUV, but the trade off is very comfortable ride over pot holed roads. The base model's 15 inch wheels also help in this regard. With the back seat in its rear-most position there is plenty of space for 3 passengers in the back seat (ample headroom and good legroom). However, the trunk space (whilst ample for shopping) is a bit limited compared to a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. Should be fine for 2 people on a road trip, but not 4 or 5 unless you fit a roof top box. Overall, I am very pleased with this car and highly recommend this model to anybody who is looking for a compact SUV."

VW Tiguan S 4motion

Surprised!!

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Turbo - ooh la la! Bluetooth, Sirius, Nav, camera"

Cons: "In town driving, not so impressive, c/b gas"

"I traded in my 6cyl Beamer for a smaller SUV. I like Tiguan's look & styling. Got a good trade-in for my Beamer, paid the balance with cash & drove off. Living along the coast, we never know what our winters will be like. I was concerned how this lighter-weighted car would handle in snow. Surprised for sure! Incredible traction in 10 inches of snow. Driving through New England this winter where each state goes from no snow to 3 feet, this car handled beautifully. Ice, not so much, but what vehicle does? My car is loaded with all the fun technology & comfort. The trunk is smaller than I thought, but I did want a smaller car. The only thing that still bothers me is the 4cyl local driving - maybe it's the premium gas - I've tried all the name gas - Mobil, Citgo, Shell - to the no-names. Citgo is the best, but there aren't any in my area anymore. Anyway, the local drive is just okay. Highway driving is a whole other experience the turbo can't be beat -incredible. I have total confidence I can beat all the other Massachusetts drivers getting into the lane I want. If you know about us MA drivers, you'll understand how important this turbo is. Fast, sure-footed, this turbo is right on the money. If you don't mind the small size & just okay local drive, this loaded Tiguan is a great surprise."

Should have an Audi attached to this auto

By on Saturday, July 25, 2015

Pros: "Great ride and comfort, this is not a Ford ride"

Cons: "Nothing noted I know what I purchased"

"I have had 4 VW's and I just traded in my wife 2010 Tiguan for a 2015 SE Tiguan, and decided on a lease, as I found out the lease for VW is not the same you get with the rest. I was impressed needless to say. VW quality is so good now a days, and this small AWD kicks that I would never go to Toyota, and I have, but walked away. I am looking at what will come in 2016 as I might just lease a vehicle myself and trade in my Nissan."

Do not buy a Tiguan

By on Friday, September 11, 2015

"This is the worst car I have ever owened. If a light for so mechanical reason is not on than I get really scared. This vehicle has cost us over $5000.00 in repairs alone. I recommend to nver buy a Tiguan!"

Love it!

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

"I love my car - and so does everyone who rides in it! It's compact yet roomy on the inside with the benefits of a small SUV. It's very fun to drive. If I won the lottery I would still keep my car."

great car... great price.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

"I got this car almost new with 100,000 mile warranty for 2,000 less than a used, junky Honda CRV. The two vehicles don't even compare. VW has excellent engineering, and is well designed. I love it."

Very reliable vehicle in like new condition$25,000

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Great price for a very reliable vehicle"

"Goes anywhere at any time,quick acceleration(4 cylinder turbo)and makes for a comfortable drive. Engine= 2.0L I-4 Power= 200 @ 5,100 rpm Transmission= 6-spd w/OD 0-60= 8.7 seconds Drivetrain= 4Motion all wheel Seating= 5 passengers(Front Seats Heated) Cargo=56.1 cu.ft. MPG= 18 City / 24 HWY Option of having Sirius Radio"

german feel

By on Sunday, September 05, 2010

"A comfortable and tight ride. Very solid and safe feel. Hard on gas, (26 hwy with 4 wheel drive), yet easy on tires and plenty of power for getting around in traffic, unlike the doggy CRV. We have had her for 18 mos and my wife's comment is: "I love this car and will keep it for 10 years.""

Best Drive I've Owned

By on Monday, August 09, 2010

"Excellent 2.o Turbo engine and automatic transmission. Bought the basic 2.0 with auto and added leather seats. The basic S has all the standard features you would want other than cloth seats. The five star safety rating proved accurate as I had a driver T-bone me in the driver side going between 30-40 miles per hour after running a red light and came out of the accident with no injuries. MPG is the greatest but I don't mind losing 1-2 mpg in the small SUV class in exchange for the power with the turbo - when you push on the gas pedal it goes unlike the others I tested."

Tiguan

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

"I traded in a VW Beetle Convertible for the 2009 Tiguan. I loved my Beetle, but felt it was just too small for me and I wanted something a little more rugged. Amazingly, my MPG didn't go down as much as I had anticipated, and the little Tiguan handles much better. There was a problem with the gas gauge, but it was fixed and VW gave me a free full tank of gas!!!! I have been a loyal VW consumer for many years, and although there have been times when engineering didn't really hold up against some of the other cars on the market. This time, however, I think that the Tiguan is a much better car than its Toyota counterpart (RAV-4) and Honda counterpart (CRV). With a turbo-engine, tiptronic, and overall great comfort and look, I LOVE my new Tiguan. Just wish that I would have held out for leather interior!"

TIMING CHAIN BROKE AT 73000 MILES.

By on Saturday, September 05, 2015

Reason: TIMING CHAIN BROKE

"$5000 REPAIR BILL FOR BROKEN TIMING CHAIN."

Great little SUV

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Only wish it had a programmable remote"

"I have owned BMW's,Mercedes,and this is my first vw. I purchased the vehicle new and has been very comfortable and lovely to drive. Easy to park anywhere."

best vehicle ever!

By on Friday, October 21, 2011

Cons: "the passanger seat does not lean back far enough"

"Love love love this car will never own another car except a VOLKSWAGEN"

Fantastic

By on Monday, October 11, 2010

"Excellent! Just the right size, great pick up, very comfy, everthing is easy to get to. You must look at this. They are not that easy to find. But it is worth the wait!"

Tiguan = An SUV with lots of GTI DNA

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "S Model = best value, 6 spd ... think a lifted GTI"

Cons: "Dealer service is expensive - DIY easy to save $$"

"Over the years I've owned many cars (BMW, VW, Nissan, Ford, Jeep) and of all of them, the Tiguan has offered me the best mix of performance, comfort, and price to date. I have the S model (6spd manual) and it rides and feels like a GTI with a 6 inch lift on it. The pricing for a Tiguan can vary widely (from $22K to $40K - as new), however the real value with the Tiguan lies in the S model. With 65000 miles now on the clock, I've had no unscheduled maintenace except for a throttle body which was replaced under warranty. I've performed my own maintenance as well (tune up, oil changes, etc) and everything for routine maintenance is very easy to access for DIY savings. Example - my 60,000 mile service cost me $75 vs. the dealer price of $450. What did it require? ... spark plugs (easy), oil change (easy), brake fluid change (brake masters did it for $30), and air filter changes (easy). Overall the fit/finish and quality of the materials of the Tiguan are outstanding. Again, the real value in a Tiguan is in buying the lower priced S model. Don't forget there are so many aftermarket upgrades you can make to your S-Tiguan to make it look and perform better than the top of the line R model. One last thing ... I LOVE the fact that I have cloth seats here in AZ. Finding a quality european car with cloth seats these days is harder than one would think."

MOST UNRELIABLE CAR EVER!!!

By on Monday, September 07, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive."

Cons: "Frequent and expensive repairs."

"We have owned more than 5 cars over the last 10 years - a mix of German and Japanese. This 2010 vw Tiguan is by far the most unreliable car we have owned or even driven (and I grew up driving the notoriously unreliable Italian cars of the 80's). We bought it new and it has been maintained at the dealer per factory-, and many times extra dealer recommendations. It has had the following repairs over the last 6 months 1. Fuel pump replacement 2. Water pump replacement 3. Turbo repair 4. Relay replacement 5. Several electrical issues 6. Turbo replacement, all at a total cost of over $5000. Now the EPC and check engine lights are on and we are headed back to the dealer. LAST VW WE EVER BUY. This Labor day weekend, we were helping some friends with car shopping and steered them clear of the VW dealership despite the vw Tiguan being at the top of their wish-list."

Awesome Vehicle

By on Sunday, June 21, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, great sound system, practical"

Cons: "Premium Gas ($), electronic e-brake"

"I bought one for my first car in January and its been amazing to me. Besides the great looks and accessibility it feels like a sports car. Great car for anyone in need of a practical, yet sporty car."

Awesome little SUV that can tow up to 2500 lb.

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable"

Cons: "engine availability. Diesel or V-6 naturally aspir"

"I am a road salesman and have had many cars. I rated this car very high because it does so much more that the cars in its field. Tows 2500 lb., seats 5 comfortably with adjustable rear seat. Fantastic suspension, fast and secure on the road, decent gas mileage at a solid 23.5 mpg combination. 210hp / 230bhp. Downside, had to put $2500 in engine at 110,000 miles to repair fuel injectors and CVT valve and main rear seal that was sucked into engine without warning! Would love to have a naturally aspirated V-6 with same HP. No turbo. That would be the perfect car."

Love it!

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, great mpg, interior"

Cons: "A little bit pricey"

"Powerful, comfortable, high quality interior, great look. If you looking for a great small SUV get Tiguan! Maybe a little pricey but better build and equipped than other cars within price range. Car could be compared to Lexus RX, Audi Q5 etc., but not products made by Toyota, Chevy or Nissan"

Fantastic car, a little pricy but it's worth it.

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

"Havent had any issues with the car other than a leak in the moon roof that vw took care of right away."

Good, but has trade offs

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

"I had this vehicle as my primary vehicle as daily commute and business trips vehicle. 1. Great quality and materials used. Feels like a luxury CUV. I've driven MBZ GL450, Toyota RAV4. VW feels much substantial than Toyota. The material and feel of the vehicle, is not much off from MBZ. I've driven a Jetta TDI Wagon as a rental for a few days. It does not even touch the Tiguan on road manner and handling. Solid and secure at high speed. 2. MPG is not great, 22-23mpg and requires premium. 3. 2.0TSI is great, but at 80K, engine light came on. Spent $800 for a valve cleaning job. Was told by the dealer that Direct Injection was clogged causing cylinder misfires. Great new to me was that engine was fine, but require manual cleaning of the valves tha requires $$$$. 4. Reliability. Mine besides the valve cleaning, no other repairs was needed. I drive 18-20K a year. Car runs and runs. The Tiguan actually feels more powerful than when it was new. It feels looser, and Revs more freely now the engine. The engine still sounds like new."

Excellent winter car

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pros: "Quality"

Cons: "Fuel mpg"

"Excellent car"