• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan

Based on 107 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

VW Needs to Rethink this Model

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Reason: Lack of amenities, mediocre mpg, cheap materials

Pros: "Nice looking"

Cons: "Over priced for what you get"

"On the upside, the Tiguan is nicely styled, has a very component engine and a decent driving position. Unfortunately, that's where the positives end for me. One of my first complaints about the Tiguan is in its packaging. First up, even the base model Tiguan is not cheap and one would expect the standard items and a few more upscale ones as well for the price. Wrong. In the base model you do not get an iPod connector, HD radio or heated seats. In other vehicles in this price range, these items are pretty much a given. Secondly, the fabric material on the seats is horrible. It's ugly, looks incredibly cheap and worst of all, attracts every piece of lint to it. Speaking of cheap, the knobs on the sound system look like they came out of a Fisher Price bargain bin. While the Tiguan could possibly be a good car -- it is not. One other detail, the depreciation on this vehicle is beyond belief. When I chose to get rid of it after 5 months and saw how much it had depreciated, I could not believe it. Nice car but a lot better choices out there."

One year old car won't stop squeaking

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "0% finance"

Cons: "Everything else"

"Bought this car a year ago as the reviews looked good. Three months later, the brakes started to squeak every time we backed up. We have had the car looked at by VW who told us this was "normal" and refuses to do anything about it. We talked to VW America and we were met with a bunch of paper pushers who did not even know what the car looked like. The car drives fairly well but the trunk is tiny (smaller than my sedan) so if you plan to carry anything or go on a trip, it will not work. I have had more than a dozen cars in my life but this one is the worst!"

I love the experience of owning this car!

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "handling and acceleration"

Cons: "maintenance cost"

"excellent handling and pick up. good gas mileage for the acceleration provided. great for cruising the beach or driving in traffic. excellent on the highway. steering like nothing I have experienced. only con is that repairs and maintenance are more expensive."

Excellent so far, highly recommended

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, high quality, comfortable"

Cons: "Fuel consumption in city, trunk space"

VW Tiguan S 4motion

"I bought my Tiguan S 4motion in August 2012. So far I have no complaints at all. It has excellent performance and good ride quality. It is completely rattle-free and feels like high quality luxury car. The only criticism I have is the higher than expected fuel consumption in heavy city traffic, which drops below 20 mpg. Out on the highway cruising at 60 to 70 mph 32 or 34 mpg is normal. Performance from the 2 liter turbo engine is completely effortless. With the transmission in sport mode it is especially fun to drive. When pressed hard the engine note has a satisfyingly sporty snarl. Handling feels a bit roly-poly as expected for an SUV, but the trade off is very comfortable ride over pot holed roads. The base model's 15 inch wheels also help in this regard. With the back seat in its rear-most position there is plenty of space for 3 passengers in the back seat (ample headroom and good legroom). However, the trunk space (whilst ample for shopping) is a bit limited compared to a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. Should be fine for 2 people on a road trip, but not 4 or 5 unless you fit a roof top box. Overall, I am very pleased with this car and highly recommend this model to anybody who is looking for a compact SUV."

VW Tiguan S 4motion

Seriously Sporty Small SUV

By on Friday, June 07, 2013

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, options and features, VW i"

Cons: "Kind of cut-rate on details, premium fuel required"

"Bought in 2011 for good acceleration and handling -- turbo 2.0 liter engine is same as in GTI and has 6-speed torque convertor transmission (less common among small crossovers then than now). Picked SEL with upgraded Nav to get adaptive headlights, power drivers seat and back-up camera. Most expensive version (delivered: $35K). Love the performance but less excited about utility as an SUV -- small on the outside is good but this one is cramped on the inside. Minimal storage in passenger compartment and the most awkward fold down rear seats that I can recall (my old Santa Fe's were equally crude with same straps, but far easier to use and requiring less muscle.) Dealership has exceptionally good service department and with VW's no-cost maintenance I have spent $0 on anything (ran out a few months ago so I'm now on my own with pretty steep labor rates and very expensive parts). I like VW's and love the dealer -- have a second one ('08 Rabbit) and will keep it when the Tiguan goes. Interesting that the $20K Rabbit is a more refined design and has a more upscale feel even though it lacks the Tiguan's gadgets -- and it doesn't require a manual strut to keep the hood open (a real down-scale item on Tiguan)"

not great

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "price fine love to drive when its not in the shop"

Cons: "phone chargers"

"I bought this car used had it for a year and the dealer has had it more than I have first with just regular things like replaceing power switches then it went to fuel sending unit went out and they had it for 2 months now its back and had 7 codes in it to fix...."

TRUE VW.

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "styling and fit/finish"

Cons: "repair costs"

"I am a lifelong VW owner. They do have a few quirks to deal with (maint and repair) but nothing drives like they do."

Fun and good design!

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great value."

Cons: "premium gas."

"Fun to drive. Smart and cute. Stylish exterior and premium interior. I love my car!"

Dissapointed

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, good price, interio/ext excellent"

Cons: "premium gas, many repairs, only 3yr warranty"

"I bought my car and after only 32k went to the mechanic 2 times. First to replace the exhaust System then a coil blow because of that repair. dealer says probably to replace at a later time the other 3 coils left. I love the car, Outside and Inside is perfect but I'm afraid that after 5 years and no warranty I might need more major repairs. I would never buy VW again :("

Amazing SUV

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, small enough to fit everywhere"

Cons: "Bumpy ride"

"Extremely fun to drive. Love the interior, it's very comfortable in both passenger seat and driver seat. Only complaint is that the Tigaun SEL is not as smooth riding as I would have hoped. If you want a smoother ride chose a S or SE."

See if you qualify for