2009 Volkswagen Tiguan

Based on 109 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

Excellent value, the GTI of SUVs

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, quality, performance, great to drive"

Cons: "Luggage space, fuel consumption"

"After almost 2 years ownership we still love this car. It's well made, has excellent performance and is extremely comfortable. The interior is made to Audi quality standards. The ride is excellent over Houston's potholed roads. The only negative is that the luggage space is a bit limited compared to it's competitors. We've had no reliability issues whatsoever. The turbo engine delivers effortless acceleration that shames many sportscars. Fuel economy is a but higher than expected, especially around town. Highly recommended."

Great car to drive.

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Great size."

Cons: "Several recalls in 5 years."

"Love the way it handles. Good size SUV for me - just big enough."

Great vehicle with a lot of power

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Handles well, can go anywhere"

Cons: "Rough ride, premium gas, not great gas mileage"

"I like this car but ride is a little rough and sometimes it feels like it is cutting out. Not thrilled with need for premium gas and without premium gas it really is noticeable."

Great for the price

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great price! Fun to drive! German styling!"

Cons: "squeaky breaks/trans issues"

"I really love my Tiguan, but its already been in the shop 2 times for squeaky breaks. my car is a certified used so it been covered under warranty, thus far. There are a few things, of course that I would change on the car, but for the price of the car it was a great value. I purchased mine in January of 2014, and it had a bit of miles on it, but because it was a lease it was in practically new condition. I drove a Mercedes C300 luxury for 2 weeks prior to driving this and I HATED it. Having driven Mercedes most of my life I realized finally that the materials are getting cheaper and cheaper in them, so I drove this Tiguan. I really fell in love as soon as i got a feel for all the head room and space for what is practically a jacked up golf its not bad for around town. My fiancé and our dog are now on a long road trip and we are now realizing how super small of a car it is, and i say car because its in my opinion it actually has less space than a car for luggage. passenger space is good, but the rear hatch is super small. I have enjoyed it for the most part, but i notice the Transmission seems to shimmy a bit when you are really getting on it, and this makes me nervous, and seems to be a common issue. The breaks are also ver squeaky *but only in the mornings* and the vw guy said this is a problem on ALL of them! I am already upside down in the car, but then again thats my fault for not making a higher payment, but i didn't expect the value to drop as fast as it has in just 3 months. I am used to my cars holding a strong value, and this is a disappointment, again that is my fault for not researching. The materials are cheap as every other car on the market, but much less so than toyota or honda. It has a zippy turbo that makes it feel like a v6 and it can throw you back in your seat if you really press it. I also drive a suburban and to be honest the gas mileage per month is about a 30 dollar difference, so i was surprised it wasn't better than what it is. I will be trading this in as soon as the warranty expires, this car would have been a great first car, but for a 26 year old man like myself it isn't the best fit."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Reason: Needed to free up money in budget to buy a new house

Pros: "Ride, MPG, dependable, solid vehicle"

Cons: "Pricey, but you get what you pay for so good value"

"I love the quality of workmanship and materials in this vehicle. I really can't come up with anything negative. The car got great mileage for a SUV, awsome ride, maintenance free (I also owned a 2010 and had the same great car). Car drives like a champ and put it in sport mode and you're driving a rocket. Maintenance was minimal. Great car. I'll buy another one in the future."