2012 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 113 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.3/10
    6.8/10
    7.3/10
    7.3/10

I love it.

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Power; handling; sound system; warranty; interior"

Cons: "Shifts too soon so I find myself going to manual."

"I received a great price at the end of 2012, love the interior, the engine has plenty of power, a large gas tank, and plenty of room for the family. Storage on top is also a plus and I don't have any real downsides of the van."

Best minivan on the road

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, lots of storage, best styling"

Cons: "Chrysler built"

"Love the comfort, ride and storage. Best looking / style of minivan on the road. Very good gas mileage on the interstate even loaded down. Will normally get 26-27 mpg on the interstate. Had the smaller 3.8L engine in the 2009 model. This 2010 SEL was loaded with the 4.0L engine. At 70 mph is barely turns 1600 rpm. Can be very quick for a minivan. Lots of grunt and power. Very comfortable ride even on long trips."

very reliable vehicle :-)

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pros: "Got a great price for it; solid & reliable"

"Bought this van new 5 years ago to replace another VW van. This one is far superior to previous one!!! A German vehicle built by Chrysler in Canada...go figure :-)) Love the way it drives and handles--very smooth and solid. Seats are generous & comfortable for long distance driving. Gas mileage is around 19-20. Overall vision is very good w/ glass all around. Control panels well designed, easy to use. Aside from regular maintenance, have had only very minor issue with one of the power windows. Didn't get a van with a lot of bells & whistles, so there's less to go wrong/repair. Overall it's well made, and a good value. Gets me where I want to go, comfortably & reliably. Would recommend :-))"

Not bad for a minivan

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "adding oil pretty often"

"Drove this van through snow storms, hail, dessert heat, cross country, and even raced/ chased a few crooks in it. 118,000 no transmission service done, basic maintenance, and it is still going strong. It does suck oil up pretty fast, but compared to other reviews I feel lucky thats all I really had to deal with. I drive this Van Like I am in Nascar!"

might be the reason why VW stop making their van

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

"does not get around good in snow, bad traction on wet streets, factor tire sensor goes out a lot, caused a blow out while traveling. Lots of great storage"

Do not buy this vehicle.

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "DVD system"

Cons: "New pads every nine months, shoddy transmission"

"I bought this van because I have only ever driven VWs. This is not a VW, however, this is a Chrysler, a fact I found out later. Roters were replaced almost immediately, calipers bad almost immediately and I am now at the point where I have to replace pads at least once every ten months and the steering wheel violently shakes whenever the brake is pressed. On two separate occasions my brakes actually caught fire. Transmission jumps every time the car switches gears. I have had it just can't wait to get rid of it."

Cons: "not realiable car...."

"The car had too many electrical problems, it consumed too much gas, the interior was made with cheap plastic, the shift gear timing was off all the time. Bad choice - DO NOT BUY IT!"

Cons: "not realiable car...."

This vehicle is not worth the VW hype!

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Pros: "roomy, floor storage, lots of cup holders"

Cons: "unreliable, expensive, gas hog, customer service"

"We bought this vehicle used with one previous owner. In the 2 years we have owned it the electrical system in the driver side sliding door slowly failed one piece at a time. Every time we took it in we were told there is nothing wrong with it. The door now no longer functions at all electronically. Not even the window works. Gas milage sucks. Tires have had a slow leak from day 1. Parts are rediculously expensive and heavan forbid you try to use a non-VW part. If you do, it won't work properly. Overall, I will never own one of these vehicles again and will probably just go back to my trusty Fords."

not a good van

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "the body styling, entertainment system"

Cons: "mechanical (see above), bad in the snow"

"it was the first year so there were some kinks to work out. I expected VW to stand by their product and do the right thing when issues in the first year design came up. we had/have issues with one of the running lamps always being out, the brakes were too small for the weight of the van (went through 3 sets of brakes and only got the last ones for free after loud complaining I would have expected that since it was a known issue they would have realized and not make me buy brakes every couple of miles), tire pressure sensors rusted out and needed to be replace. for the tire pressure sensors the dealer was looking for $90 per wheel and then $180 to put them in...over $400! bought them on amazon and had the local tire guy install them without issue."

We needed a van. VW had vans.

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Features, price, engine mileage"

Cons: "Tranny, tranny, tranny."

"With VW closing out the Routan in 2012 I had an opportunity for a very good deal. An SE with Nav and RSE and 3 year maint for $23k. I couldn't find a 2010 lower level Toyota Sienna with under 40k miles for that price. I didn't expect a Toyota. I had one on an extended rental and it was nice. But neither did I want to pay Toyota money. The engine in the VW is great. Very powerful and surprising mileage. On a trip from the Central coast to the LA area (5 hrs) the van got 27 MPG and that was average 75 mph +. The transmission on the other hand gets easily confused. On the highway it's fine. If you drive it like a grandma easing on the throttle trying to save gas it's pretty smooth. But try to pass or push the throttle a little to make it shift down good luck. It doesn't want to stay in the lower gear. It stutters on shift changes. It will shift up so that it's at 1200 RPM at 45 miles per hour going up hill. There should be a patch for this. Wife loves it. She drives like a grandma saving gas."

Stay Away!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Lots of great features for passengers"

Cons: "Bad brakes, uses oil, bad service at dealership"

"We were very pleased with the 2010 Routan when we first got it as it was $10,000 off the sticker price brand new from the dealership. That should have been our first warning! The car holds a lot and has lots of great features, but that is where the "pros" end. The car is very comfortable for everyone except the driver. We have taken it on many long road trips and I always feel like I have to fight with it. It drives more like a truck than a car. I loved my Sienna and this is definitely on the opposite side of the comfort spectrum. I guess some people may like this, but I feel it lends to driver fatigue. It is the only car I have ever driven where my foot actually falls asleep while driving! The car is very heavy, but does not do well in the snow of Western New York. I have gotten stuck a few times and needed to be pushed just to get up a small incline or hill. Not good for a family of skiers! Hoping that a better set of tires will help with that this year. Also, the transmission does seem to drop while accelerating. We have had the brakes fixed 3 times within 40K miles averaging about once a year since we have owned it. When the brakes go, they burn up smoking and getting incredibly hot! It is now beginning to use oil as well. I have had to add at least 2 quarts just to get to the next oil change. I was told this was "normal" usage. Never before have I had to use this much oil! It seems it was easier for VW to just stop making this vehicle than fix it!"

THEY JUST WANT YOUR $$$$$$

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "Everything -pricy,bad sevice,bad brakes,bad doors"

"I bought my van new $37000 in '09 I have had MANY problems to many to list. The main 2 are first the rear brake the caliper frame was faulty causing rotor and pad to be shot that was '11 and even though they knew frame was faulty was not replaced now '13 it wore out my brake and rotor again and now there saying it was from the caliper bracket so they wont do anything about it. (its the same part)but HAHA my warranty is over I think thats what they were waiting for so they could get more money. Second my side door on passenger side wasn't working properly and there was a recall but they only did that side and now my other side is acting up and they say well the recall is outdated so they probably wont cover it. DO NOT BUY A VW OF ANY MODEL YOU WILL WISH YOU DIDNT."

Would'nt do it again, unless I really had too!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Great use of space. Quiet on good roads."

Cons: "A mix of Chrysler and VW? Not the best grounds...."

"I always consider the reliability if a vehicle by how much time it spends at a dealership in a twelve month period. More importantly, how good a service department is at resolving issues. Firstly, brakes on this vehicle were truly not engineered well. Just view the extensive complaints about warped rotors? I normally put these comments down to bad driving habits, but not in this case. My vehicle has never been driven with more than three people in, never loaded and still I've replaced three sets of front rotors within 30k miles. Half a dozen repair attempts at fixing the side rattling doors, never resolved. Chrsyler modded their vans while VW never did the same. Noisy transmission, that bumps and drops between gears, something that a VW tech considers normal. Numerous failed window motors, buttons and regulators. Poor city MPG. Rust appearing on upper internal areas of door. Vehicle has spent 10 weeks at dealer within the last 60... I'd truly be surprised, if this vehicle makes it to a 100k, without a major issue! Such a shame, considering my previous Odessey clocked up 180k before any real concerns."

LOVE our car

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "can fit tons of stuff in it"

Cons: "middle seats not on tracks and cost"

"We bought our Routan used and we still love it. It accommodates all 4 of children and is wonderful during 14 hour road trips. If I had to pick one flaw that we work around is that the middle seats aren't adjustable (on tracks) as far as for leg room. Other than that it gets great gas mileage and its a living room on wheels. Tons of room! awesome car just wish it was a little cheaper."

Solid Choice

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Like the stow-and-go feature."

Cons: "Wished gas mileage was a little better (who wdnt)"

"We recently bought a 2009 Routan. Shortly after we bought it we drove it out to the Grand Canyon (2800+ mile round trip). After driving it around before our vacation trip I was a little concerned about how the 3.8L engine would do in the mountains, but I was pleasantly pleased with the performance. The downside of the performance was that when the cruise was on the mph would go down 5-10 before the transmission would shift to compensate for the elevation gain. The ride is a little stiffer than our old van (Chrysler T&C), but not too bad. Overall, I am happy with our purchase."

Not your typical minivan!

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great features w/o the price,"

Cons: "towing capacity"

"We have loved this van. As a man who drives it a lot, I love how it handles more like a semi-sports car than a loose town-car. I've heard some people say it's not as smooth riding but I don't know what they're talking about. It's got very responsive steering and an engine to back it up. We've made several long road trips in it and it travels well. We put about 20k miles a year on our vehicles and it has stood up to the wear and tear. In the VW, you get many of the "upgrades" but without the premium price. I personally like the sporty changes that VW put on the van. The spoiler, different nose, and interior designs are great. All the seats are VERY comfortable. The leather has been extremely durable and I would highly recommend it. There's also a lot of great extra storage space in the floor due to the design from Chrysler but without the stow-and-go seats. We have one with a dual entertainment system and wireless headphones. Our kids love it. If we wanted to, our kids can be watching 2 different movies on the headphones and we can listen to iPod or something up front on a long trip. It also has an AUX input by the rear row that you can plug a game console or iPod into and feed into speakers and/or video screen(s). The touchscreen entertainment system has been great. We love the built in hard drive for loading CD's onto it. We did have an issue with an engine valve spring but it was covered under the warranty. The VW dealership has a technician who is specially trained to work on the Routan. I did wish that it had a bit more towing capacity but even the other vans can't tow that much. One other thing, if you want to use the LATCH in the 3rd row, it will fit 2 car seats and not leave any room left for a third person. We've gone ahead and just used the seat belts and it hasn't been a problem. I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat."

good but not great

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"i bought this van new, within 6000 miles had a seal go out on the trans, but over all satisfied, rides great and handles like a sports car!"

I really like the Routan

By on Sunday, February 03, 2013

Pros: "Great price, nice ride, no problems"

Cons: "No longer produced so I can't recommend it"

"I admit that I bought the Routan because of the whopping discount. The thought was I could put up with most anything with the savings. After 15 months I really like the van. It looks great, rides nice, has lots of power, handles well, and has a huge amount of cargo space. Unfortunately the Routan is an orphan - it's been discontinued but since it was produced by Chrysler which is making plenty of the Routan siblings (T&C, Grand Caravan, Ram Van), I'm not too concerned."

Best deal for the money for a mnivan

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage - space, comfort"

"Awesome van!!! Gas mileage is incredible - getting 21 city and up to 36 highway so far and its only a year old! Love live love it!!!!"

worse car ever

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

"i understand this car was made by dodge and so you can imagine how inferior they made it compared to their grand caravan. If you are a user start thinking fast. The worse part is the value you get for trade in."

Awesome MPG, comfortable 2nd row

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Sunroof, Leather seats, MPG, Looks"

"Awesome van with great MPG and power, comfortable seats, much better interior then the T&C."

WOW BEST MPG .... I am SAVING $250 PLUS A MONTH

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "WOW GREAT MPG"

Cons: "WISH I GOT THE SUNROOF"

"Almost 30 mpg Highway 25 avg. Better than the sticker says. I am not a hyper Miler either! The extra money in the pocket means alot..... Great handeling, tight; and the kids love the Captain Chairs. I DO NOT MISS MY "AWD VAN" WHICH WAS ALWAYS IN THE SHOP OR GAS STATION !!!!!!!!!"

ROUTAN SAVES ME $250-$300 A MONTH IN GAS

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I own this car

Pros: "GREAT MPG MORE THAN EXPECTED"

Cons: "WHISH THEY HAD AWD OPTION"

"I USED TO OWN A 2008 AWD VAN AND THE MPG 16 AVG 20 HWY WAS KILLING ME. MY ROUTAN IS GETTING 30 PLUS HWY AND 24 AVG... ALMOST 40% BETTER MPG. IT IS HEAVIER AND RESPONDS BETTER ON THE ROAD AS WELL. THE SEATING IS WIDER AND THE STEERING WHEEL IS TIGHT. SO FAR I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS AND THE DEALER IS WONDERFUL."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals